Author Topic: Overweight hiker navigation thread  (Read 6081 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Overweight hiker navigation thread
« Reply #45 on: 20:40:39, 30/04/19 »
If you are adamant about using a wax pencil, put the tip on the point you want to draw a line from, then slide the edge of your compass up to it on the rough bearing then rotate and if necessary slide the compass round the point until it is lined up with the grid lines, then draw the line.  I used to do it that way when drawing on perspex map displays.  I did it backwards too to it could be read from the other side.  We had to write backwards and do map references backwards too.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 20:49:59, 30/04/19 »
Part of the problem is the pencil has a 4mm wide tip you can't see where it's going to draw until you make a mark. Printing maps is a good idea, hopefully I don't need any of the missing detail (by which I mean the area not printed further afield than my route).

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 20:55:23, 30/04/19 »
These are what the professionals use. https://www.pooleys.com/shop/staedtler/propelling-pencils-staedtler/

These are the alternative if the ink works on your plastic https://www.pooleys.com/shop/staedtler/lumocolor-felt-pens/
« Last Edit: 21:00:27, 30/04/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 21:33:20, 30/04/19 »
Thanks. I almost bought them but found slightly more precise pens on Amazon, so I got the pencil there too:

Staedtler Lumocolor 311 WP4 Universal Non Permanent Superfine Pens - Assorted Colours

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0007OEDOI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_38kYCb4KMPPKW

Staedtler 0.3mm Mechanical Pencil Night Blue Series (925 35-03)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003LOQ722/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_LblYCbWSXMXSA

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 21:35:12, 30/04/19 »
Sorry. I wasn't being literal with the word chinagraph. Permanent OHP pens are good as long as there isn't water on the map as you draw. Edit: I see you've already found them (though I use the permanent ones with the black barrels).

To be honest, I've never had to resection on land in the UK in anger.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 21:39:25, 30/04/19 »
Sorry. I wasn't being literal with the word chinagraph. Permanent OHP pens are good as long as there isn't water on the map as you draw. Edit: I see you've already found them (though I use the permanent ones with the black barrels).

Thanks. I saw this on a Google (Outdoors Magic forum) that people use permanent ones but then to remove them you need meths or makeup remover pads which apparently if you don't clean off properly eat through the laminate. Didn't fancy it, maybe I errored with the non-permanent ones, I can always buy the permanent ones too they're not expensive.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 21:25:06, 02/05/19 »
Is this the Smardale parking ninthace? Just want to be sure I don't park on someone's land and they trash my car. Looks full in Google StreetView, hopefully not so full when I turn up.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 21:26:18, 02/05/19 »
Yep!
Solvitur Ambulando

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 19:16:00, 18/06/19 »
How's it going?
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 19:58:45, 18/06/19 »
I haven't been out properly (I've walked around town and in local woods) since due to constant predictions of bad weather. Today would have been a good day but I had a delivery coming that I was super excited about and didn't want to miss.

I haven't given up on it, I will be out soon bad weather or not but I really wanted good weather due to overheating issues in my raincoat (which is a bit big on me now) and wanting to draw on A4 printed maps not faff around with the laminated OS maps.

Saturday and Sunday currently look promising, weather wise.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 16:13:52, 02/08/19 »
Right. I'm going tomorrow regardless of the weather though it looks OK in the morning on both Accuweather and the BBC. I've just printed out an A4 map at the library again as I lost the last one and have sat down to read a recap on navigation as it's no longer fresh in my memory. It's time to test drive the lighter weight gym fuelled vehicle on a proper walk. 12k steps so far today but it's just the gym and wandering around Appleby  :-\ Apologies to those who were interested for the long delay. Will let you know how it goes.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 17:26:00, 02/08/19 »
Glad to hear you're back on it Rob  O0

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 18:14:58, 02/08/19 »
Glad to hear you're back on it Rob  O0

Thank you Ian.

All this navigation reading is giving me a headache! I spent a couple of days studying it last time cramming it in an afternoon was a bad idea. I'm going to turn up, thumb myself along, do a bit of pacing, mess about taking bearings and slope aspects and hope I learn something useful. Got to be a start.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 19:02:11, 02/08/19 »
Instead of giving yourself a headache, why not just do a walk you've done before and relax?  :)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 19:12:11, 02/08/19 »
I was tempted to do Loadpot Hill again as I'm curious how much easier it is now I'm 60 lbs lighter and somewhat fitter. Also was tempted to do another walk ninthace suggested by the military training zone as I'd like to pick up a walk I can reuse for exercise that won't bore me like wondering around Appleby will when I can no longer make up reasons to keep changing location. But no, the navigation thing needs seeing to even if only so I can go back to using a satnav again!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy