Author Topic: Approach shoes  (Read 5783 times)

Snowman

Approach shoes
« on: 12:34:39, 29/03/07 »
I was led to starting this topic by a quote from Graham.r:

'Gortex boots not always the best idea - I have a fantastic light weight pair of Merrell boots -- supposedly waterproof goretex lined -- but the fools put holes in them for  effect '

My view of approach shoes is that they are ideal summer walking shoes.    Not good for the fells, but great for walking in the Chilterns and similar places.    Merrell's shoes look good, but my pair have not lasted well considering the fairly light walking they've been put through.    Looking good is fine, but when they get tatty then they don't look good anymore.

And getting back to Graham.r's point, do people really use approach shoes for wet weather or bog walking?    The last thing I'd think of wearing in the Dartmoor wetland is a pair of approach shoes, so why do the manufacturers insist on bringing out more and more of their products with gore-tex lining at double the price?

So I thought it might be useful with the summer coming up if people could review their approach shoes so that others, like myself who need to replace their tatty old Merrell product, could have some peer feedback.

I know that Trail, Country Walking et al will soon be putting out their own reviews, but they tend to be short term.    I think my Merrells got a good rating at the time, but the reviewers probably only wore them for a couple of days.    I am aware that the downside of long term reviews is that the products may no longer be available, but at least we may see a manufacturing trend?

Cheers, S.

winnie

Re: Approach shoes
« Reply #1 on: 19:20:03, 29/03/07 »
hi i went to buy a pair of Merrel's about 14 months ago and was told at the shop that a lot of them where being returned due to bad build quality and they said that the north face ones seem to be the best at the mo, so i purchased a pair of the north face ones  and now 14 months later they are still going strong, they have been through the washer god knows how many times and worn that much that there isn't much tread left underneath them yet they still look as good as new, defo the bast pair of approach shoes i bought. i only where them for walking when its dry but when its not i still where them for going out in.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:40:39, 29/03/07 »
I wore North Face Hedgehogs for a good part of this walk walkingforlife.piczo.com
and i thought they were really comfortable and steady, if this helps ;)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Snowman

« Reply #3 on: 10:00:56, 30/03/07 »
These responses help a lot.

As I said, magazine reviews tend to be great for highlighting the functionality of equipment, but with the high price of outdoor gear I think a lot of us consider longevity a priority as well.    The only way we can get that sort of info is for people like you to give your reports.

So for example we have Winnie reporting that her (assumption?) local supplier is advising against Merrell due to customer feedback, while I've independently stated that I consider mine to be in a very poor state considering the low wear they've been subjected to.    However, I believe it was Trail magazine that rated them quite highly, so how many miles had they done to get their rating?

So far then, it would seem that I'm not the only one to consider Merrell to be less than ideal, while TNF looks good.

Thanks, S.

winnie

« Reply #4 on: 19:13:04, 30/03/07 »
hi summitzero, the tnf shoes i have got are hedgehogs as welland as you say they are great. they are very light weight and a pleasure to whereand fast drying as i found out on Monday when i walked over a field early in the morning which was satuirated in due DOH  :o . and just for snowman, it he   ;D

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:30:33, 31/03/07 »
Yep i really like mine so much i am on to my third pair. ;D

Sounds like a nice early morning walk, i love the freshness of early mornings. ;D ;D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy