Author Topic: scafell pike- How difficult compared with Nevis & Snowdon  (Read 42340 times)

nesty

I'm intending on doing Scafell pike at the end of June.
I done Nevis in 2010 & Snowdon in 2011. I now want to attempt Scafell pike.
Just researching as I am a bit older then when attempted the former 2.
What it is like in comparison to Nevis and Snowdon. I would be ascending from Wasdale head.
Thanks

henryb

• Veteran Member
Nesty, I did all 3 peaks in 2012;IMHO Scafell Pike is the easiest one in the group. It is lower than the other peaks but the path from Wasdale isn't as good as Ben Nevis tourist track or Snowdon's tourist track. If it is a sunny clear day, all three mountains would have a lot of other walkers going for the summit. This may impede progress. I've done Scafell Pike twice, once from Borrowdale and once from Wasdale. When I climbed from Borrowdale I got a good day and was amazed by the numbers of folks I encountered because, usually, in Northern Ireland, you may meet a handful of other walkers or no one. Scafell Pike is approximately 3.5 or 3.75 miles from Wasdale when ascending. Wainwright's southern fell book 4 covers Scafell Pike. David Hall's website has a good link:http://www.walkthefells.net/PAGES/WALKS/20150913_ID_1539.html. Hope this helps, Henry

nesty

many thanks for this. I'll take a look at that link
When I did Snowdon in 2011 it was a good day until the summit when cloud decended.  I didn't see anything from the top. I hated snowdon summit from a walkers point of view as I spent some time going up walking. Just as I got to the top a train pulled in and everyone got out acting like they just walked up the summit!

nesty

Just looking at that link. Great link. Really getting my enthusiasm up.
Is Scafell pike walk from Wasdale Head. Is the path marked out clearly? On Snowdon and Nevis really wasn't an issue. Mind you if I go in June I reckon I won't be alone though I don't want to head for Scafell by mistake!

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
From Wasdale the path is very clear all the way to top. Not signed in the same way as Snowdon. The summit can be little disorientating if the mist is down as it's quite broad once you're on it.

It's unlikely that you will mistakenly climb Scafell instead, most of the routes up from the Wasdale side involve a bit of scrambling.

You can see the Wasdale path in this blog post

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/scafell-slight-side-via-lords-rake-and.html

I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

nesty

Thanks for this. Looing forward to the climb!

Lakeland Lorry

Nesty.  Take a look at this page, on the Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team's website.   

It gives you lots of info on doing Scafell Pike from Wasdale, and if you click on the green lollipops on the map, you'll also be able to see what the path looks like on the ground.

http://www.wmrt.org.uk/the-easiest-way-up/the-easiest-way-up-scafell-pike/

Although it's a pretty simple route to follow in clear weather, getting off the summit and back down to Wasdale can be tricky if the visibility is bad.   It's very easy to wander off the summit in the wrong direction and end up in Eskdale, which will then mean a very expensive taxi ride back to Wasdale.  Another place were many go wrong, in both bad and good weather, is at Lingmell Col.   Anyway, the photos on the map on the link above, will give you some idea.

Skip

• Veteran Member
... Scafell pike... What it is like in comparison to Nevis and Snowdon?

(My notes below assume reasonably good weather and summer conditions.)

I've only walked up Ben Nevis once but walked up Scafell Pike and Snowdon frequently, each by several routes.

Personally I found Ben Nevis (from Glen Nevis via the 'tourist path') by far the most tiring - approx 4,300 feet ascent in ten miles walking.

For me, Scafell Pike (from Wasdale NT carpark at Brackenclose) is less tiring than Ben Nevis - approx 3,000 feet in six miles walking.

Snowdon (from Pen Y Pass) I find much the easiest - approx 2,300 feet ascent in about seven miles.

IMHO, Ben Nevis has the easiest path to walk on; the Pyg track is rougher; and the higher sections of the Scafell Pike path are rougher still.

In my opinion, Scafell Pike is the least straightforward for navigation, especially on the descent. On Snowdon, the Pyg track is fairly straightforward to follow. The path up Ben Nevis is the least challenging for navigation (but beware the gullies on the final ascent).

If you've walked up Ben Nevis and Snowdon without any problem, you should have no particular difficulty on Scafell Pike.  But that's just my opinion - mountain walking is a subjective experience.

Enjoy your walk - I hope you get a clear view and hope it's not too crowded.
Skip

nesty

Cheers all many thanks for the advice. Looking forward to it. Hoping to do Scafell pike next wed or so after a few days in Windermere.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy