Author Topic: Lww  (Read 1940 times)

[email protected]

Lww
« on: 20:01:24, 11/10/20 »
Hi everyone I’m Fiona - I’m thinking about doing the Lyke Wake Walk in memory of my Dad and to raise money for charity. I’ve found out today that my Dad did this twice (I had no idea he had done this) I’m looking for advice on how to start training in prep for when I feel fit enough to do this- thank you x

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Lww
« Reply #1 on: 21:41:29, 11/10/20 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.
My main advice would be just to go walking.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:55:05, 11/10/20 »
 This might help.
 http://lykewake.org/organise.php

Training involves building up to day walks of at least 25 miles over rough terrain carrying all the equipment you will take on the LWW.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:32:58, 13/10/20 »
Welcome to the forum, Fiona.

Presuming that you are in good general health, I would advise that you start getting the miles in, with a longer walk at the weekends, gradually building up the distance until you can tackle 20 miles or more without too much difficulty. Listen to your body and be prepared to back off a bit if you are getting twinges. Good luck.  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:21:32, 13/10/20 »
Hi Fiona. I admire your motivation for attempting this walk tremendously. It's a great plan!  O0

I'd never heard of the LWW so I've done some reading. I assume you're thinking of doing a 24 hour crossing, which appears to be very challenging and needing a lot of preparation. As has been said, building up your stamina and endurance is key and it could take weeks or months depending on your starting level.

Living in Kent, it's very unlikely I'll ever attempt the LWW, but if I were... I'd start by checking out the toughest parts (e.g. terrain and ascent) and in the sort of weather you might get on a bad day (you didn't mention the time of year) on a few shorter walks. And I'd put a great deal of thought into my footwear, which I think is the most important aspect of clothing on a long walk. It's crucial that your feet stay dry, because (for me anyway) wet feet blister easily, so I'd want my most comfortable and supportive shoes as well as blister plasters and spare socks.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:51:41, 13/10/20 »
In good weather it is a lovely walk. I was so lucky. Since I am not a fast walker I did it in over the 24 hours but I did  bivi for a few hours on the way.

As with any long walk make sure your feet have the best possible. Get properly fitting boots, remember feet swell when you've been on them a few hours. Best socks, so much choice here.

Train for stamina, so try to walk a reasonable distance daily . However be careful not to leave your fitness and health behind by overtraining and damaging feet and tendons etc.
Most important is the mind, you will get cheesed off, tired, sore and you have to learn to get in charge of your mind begging you to pack it in, because it does. Physically you can be ready, but mentally you may not be.

Most important, do it. And if you fail first time , do it again. Treat first time as training.

Remember to do it for fun and enjoyment, that way you take a lot if the pressure off.
Too little, too late, too bad......

andybr

« Reply #6 on: 13:48:07, 13/10/20 »
Jimbob is absolutely correct about it being a mental challenge as much as a physical one. I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the more challenging bits of the route so that you expect them when they appear. Many people abandon the walk after becoming demoralised by things they should have known about in advance. The bog at Loose Howe and especially the ravine of Jugger Howe just a few miles from the end are prime examples.

Ferret

« Reply #7 on: 11:49:31, 14/10/20 »
It's a really tough challenge. There will be moments when you will hate it and when the idea of continuing to put one foot in front of the other will seem like the severest of tortures. However, the sense of achievement you'll feel when you reach the end will be immense and after a good night's sleep, the hardships will start to fade in your memory even as the positive recollections grow.  :)

Please don't beat yourself up too badly if you don't finish though. Don't try to push on any further than you need to if injury and/or exhaustion become serious issues. As someone who took a couple of goes to finally finish the Yorkshire Three Peaks, I can confirm that completion will taste just as sweet, even at the second or third attempt.

I'm sure you'll do it first time though. Best of luck!  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy