Author Topic: Yorkshire 3 peaks in under 8 hours  (Read 5903 times)

JoeyG

Yorkshire 3 peaks in under 8 hours
« on: 20:46:25, 15/02/20 »
Hey guys!
I am doing my first trail in May as Yorkshire 3 peaks and I have set myself the goal to it in under 8 hours!
Any tips or advice (specifically on timescales) would be greatly appreciated!

I am aware that I will need to run some parts but fitness wise I am fine with the task in hand, I’m just a total newbie when it comes to gear and timescales it any tips on how to shave off as much time as possible!
Thanks in advance!

JoeyG

Re: Yorkshire 3 peaks in under 8 hours
« Reply #1 on: 20:48:07, 15/02/20 »
Hey guys!  I am doing my first trail in May as Yorkshire 3 peaks and I have set myself the goal to it in under 8 hours!  Any tips or advice (specifically on timescales) would be greatly appreciated!  I am aware that I will need to run some parts but fitness wise I am fine with the task in hand, I’m just a total newbie when it comes to gear and timescales it any tips on how to shave off as much time as possible!  Thanks in advance!

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:41:09, 15/02/20 »
Don't stop to chat with anyone, don't stop for food, eat on the go, little and often.  We scraped in under 10 hours with a 9 hours 56 mins, looking back we spent too much time chatting to people along the way and definitely spent too long on a food stop at Ribblehead.  In hindsight just walking we reckon we could have shaved 45 mins to an hour off our time.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:11:04, 15/02/20 »
Hey guys! I am doing my first trail in May as Yorkshire 3 peaks and I have set myself the goal to it in under 8 hours! Any tips or advice (specifically on timescales) would be greatly appreciated! I am aware that I will need to run some parts but fitness wise I am fine with the task in hand, I’m just a total newbie when it comes to gear and timescales it any tips on how to shave off as much time as possible! Thanks in advance!
Plenty of running,the more the better.The only way to go faster is to train harder and keep pushing yourself.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 06:07:48, 16/02/20 »
Plenty of running,the more the better.The only way to go faster is to train harder and keep pushing yourself.

And do as much as possible in similar terrain. Although fitness is “transferable” to some extent from one activity to another...transfer isn’t total. One can be gym fit...or even running fit...but not “hill running fit”.

And..obviously important to know route well before big day. There’s not going to be time to scratch head looking at map for 10 mins. Strong argument (I think) for having run the route in sections at some point in training.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:41:33, 16/02/20 »
What day of the week are you doing it. Weekends can be very busy and you can end up in a queue on parts of the uphill sections.
I have done the walk 3 times and my quickest time was 9.5 hours and that was mid-week with excellent weather. I ate on the move, jogged some easy bits but made the mistake of taking the direct route up hill after the Ribblehead viaduct instead of the main tourist path and that probably cost 20 minutes.
It's all uphill from here.

Crag71

« Reply #7 on: 19:02:28, 24/02/20 »
Myself and a load of lads are doing the Yorkshire 3 peaks in April in aid of a charity and we're hoping to complete it within 10 hours but what ive heard is not to under estimate the challenge

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy