Author Topic: pennine way  (Read 26722 times)

Stottie

Re: pennine way
« Reply #45 on: 17:31:34, 26/03/13 »
I think you did very well and made a good call.
Funny how we all take photos of the sheep - the further we walk, the more we snap 'em.....

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 17:33:07, 26/03/13 »
We could start a sheep photo thread but it may attract the wrong crowd.

Lovely photo's, do you take your pet rock on all your walks?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 18:14:31, 26/03/13 »
Great effort, I took the same amount of time last June and had a very tough time on the Cheviots due to heavy rain and strong winds.  Given the current conditions you were right to call it a day at Bryness, I'm sure you were well looked after at Bryness by Colin and Joyce  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Alison333

« Reply #48 on: 18:26:36, 26/03/13 »
I did not include the weight of my pet rock in the 9kg!!  and yes, a good stay in Byrness.   Not sure what it is about the sheep, but they do get more photogenic as the Way goes along!!

Jellybelly

« Reply #49 on: 19:22:07, 26/03/13 »
great snaps and very jealous its my dream to do it

you had such a warming smile everytime we saw you
Is that so

forest view

« Reply #50 on: 20:19:32, 26/03/13 »
Wel done and you did make the right decision we are still in the middle of a blizzard and it`s been bitterly cold for the last week. It would have been too big a risk especially for a solo walker see you soon when you come to complete it. P.S. there are some lovely Cheviot sheep on the last bit and you might even get a photo of some feral goats for a bit of variety. Joyce
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 20:38:28, 26/03/13 »
 You did very well in those conditions.Aborting the walk before the Cheviots was the right thing to do.The Cheviots can be bad in summer but in these conditions they are a potenial killer unless you have the kind of backup they had in the Spine race and even then its not risk free.

Michemit

« Reply #52 on: 09:13:02, 07/04/21 »
sussam I would very much like to get the pennine way file from you for my garmin GPS and also the instructions please but for some reason I can't find a way on this site to get my email address to you

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 09:47:14, 07/04/21 »
Click on his name (where it shows Posted by:xxx on the lefthand side) and send him a message. He can point you in the right direction but may not, for obvious reasons, be prepared to use email.
« Last Edit: 09:58:56, 07/04/21 by harland »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 09:51:00, 07/04/21 »
For a minute or two I was really confused by the dates prior to today's first entry. As a thought, I'm not a user of paper maps but I do think that the A-Z 'Pennine Way' publications (2 x A5 thin books) are really good. 

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 14:16:38, 07/04/21 »
Click on his name (where it shows Posted by:xxx on the lefthand side) and send him a message. He can point you in the right direction but may not, for obvious reasons, be prepared to use email.

In contact with him now  O0
Where there's a will ...

Squacco

« Reply #56 on: 22:43:55, 20/04/21 »
I ve done the Pennine Way twice as a younger man back in the 1970 s. Both times I never carried any cooking gear or much in the way of food and kept the weight down. I used my Robert Saunders Backpacker 1 man which was the bees knees tent at the time at around 4 lb in weight and a down sleeping bag . The ones who fail carry too much weight. A Kinder Scout local rescue team member was on TV this year on Kinder Scout at the Pennine Way start made a telling comment about failures due to inexperience carrying tins of beans , sausage and eggs for breakfasts  etc as destined to fail before half way . I ve no idea nowadays what the whole trail is like but the one section I ve done from Edale to Crowden was a doddle being nicely paved unlike the 50 yard wide bog it was back then. I doubt if you have to carry more than a days supplies.no need to carry heavy water , filter it . dont bother with a cooker just grab a cuppa when you can and have a pro plus energy caffiene tablet for breakfast and get moving to find breakfast somewhere..Took me 13 days on both my walks . Wainrights Pennine Way Companion  is still the one guide to carry IMO , no need for bulky heavy maps .Keep the weight down to 10 kgs and its easy .Wainright thought it was boring, so do I compared to my favourite Cleveland Way , but its a right of passage which has to be done .
« Last Edit: 22:50:03, 20/04/21 by Squacco »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 10:18:33, 21/04/21 »
I agree with you, although I've managed to get my backpack weight down over the years, I have seen some amazing weights being carried by some.

The two men I remember most were when they were sitting at the old bus stop at Cowling (or was it Gargrave?) waiting for their wives who were driving up from London to collect some of their stuff. They were so miserable. Their large rucksacks were stuffed to capacity! I walked on before their wives arrived but they both were expecting to be criticised. I saw them again a few days later and they were much happier.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 12:09:49, 21/04/21 »
All these PW posts  ;D

Will soon be time to get dates etc sorted for my 2022 PW, having done it twice South to North this one is going to be North to South  O0
Where there's a will ...

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 13:39:20, 21/04/21 »
I have also walked it twice S>N but I think I would miss seeing many of the same walkers in the evening going the other way. I know I would have the opportunity to meet new people but I always prefer going S>N on any LDP unless it goes W>E!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy