Author Topic: pennine way  (Read 26731 times)

mikee

pennine way
« on: 20:58:40, 30/01/13 »
Hi im planning to walk the pennine way in may of this year and i would be really gratefull for any adivce from walkers who have completed the walk.My intention is to wild camp every night . last year i managed to wild camp every night on the coast to coast to walk  My concerns for the pennine way are i wont be able to carry all the food i will need for the walk due to the weight , im wondering if i might be able to post some food parcels to post offices and collect on the way , do some of the towns and villages have big enough shops to buy the sort of food you need when camping.  

I will be doing the walk alone walking from north to south I have in the past just relied on a map and compass but after reading some pennine way journals on the internet and how some people have got lost in some of the more remote places im considering buying a GPS although a great failsafe device i was wondering if it was neccesarry i would welcome your thoughts on this .  
 There are probably lots of things that i havent considered and i would be really gratefull for any advice that would help me prepare for the walk

Thanks Mike

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: pennine way
« Reply #1 on: 21:21:09, 30/01/13 »
There are plenty of shops etc on route but you will need to plan a bit to ensure you stock up at the right times. 

As for GPS, I used a GPS on my Pennine Way walk last year; if you buy a Garmin I'll happily send you a file of the route that you can load into your GPS.  While it's perfectly possible to manage without a GPS I prefer to use one as my main navigation aid, carrying a map and compass as back up.
Where there's a will ...

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:56:59, 30/01/13 »
 You can obtain food in Bellingham,Alston,Middleton ,Hawes,Gargrave and Hebden Bridge.

Wild camping should be possible most nights provided you camp late and start off early.

A map and compass is quite adequate for the PW provided you know how to use them properly.

mikee

« Reply #3 on: 11:16:18, 31/01/13 »
thank you tonyk and sussamb for your reply the information on where i get food really helps  sussamb im going to order  a garmin oregan 450 and i would be really gratefull if you could send me the file containing the route that would be a great help.
Im new to the forum and a little unsure how it works  do i need to send you my email address once  again thank you both for your advice.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:59:54, 31/01/13 »
Yes, PM me with your e mail address and I'll send you the route and how to load it.  To send a PM click on My Messages, Send a message top left of your screen, and enter sussamb in the To box  :)

Incidentally Garmin are releasing a new Oregon model shortly, how soon I don't know as it hasn't yet cleared the US FCC.  You might therefore want to wait until the new model is released, and either buy it or one of the old ones at a lower price as dealers clear stocks  ;)

There are also some excellent free maps available for Garmin GPS at www.talkytoaster.co.uk
« Last Edit: 12:44:07, 31/01/13 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:02:07, 31/01/13 »
If all goes well dog and I will be starting the Penine Way mid May after coming down from John O'Groats. I will be posting stuff (mainly dog food and maps) to post offices and campsites along the way - well The Missus will be doing so. I have done this a lot in the past and to date (touch wood) I have never lost a parcel. I will be wild camping a couple of times - more if the schedule goes to [censored].

To save weight I will be carrying minimum of food but mainly eating as and when I can - don't pass up a tea shop. I do this when doing long trips and don't worry too much if I miss meals or don't eat for a day (so will dog to some extent) - it makes catching up very pleasant. I am used to doing this others might suffer.

I will be carying a GPS but will rely mainly on Harveys strip maps.

mikee

« Reply #6 on: 15:53:34, 01/02/13 »
Thanks manandog for your advice i hadnt thought about posting to campsites and the like I will be using the harvey strip maps . I have been reading your account of when you did the coast to coast i was amazed that you did the stretch  from Osmotherly to RHB 45 miles in  8 hours  if i should see you in May i might grab hold of your coat tails for a little while.

Anyway good look with your walk.

mikee

« Reply #7 on: 16:05:05, 01/02/13 »
what i meant to say was good luck with your walk

Walk4Cieran

« Reply #8 on: 19:34:13, 03/02/13 »
Good luck Mike

We are walking the PW North2South in September for charity so it will be good to hear how you get on. I hope you keep us all posted

PT
WalkTall for Cieran & the Meningitis Trust

www.walk4cieran.co.uk [nofollow]

mikee

« Reply #9 on: 20:43:58, 03/02/13 »
yes sure i certainly will , have you done the walk before

IanyZen

« Reply #10 on: 15:31:31, 10/02/13 »
Hi Mananddog & Mikee,
I shall also be heading along PW, probably early June with trusty man's best friend, Zen.
walking & camping from North2South so hopefully we may pass and exchange a few tips of the route
I shall be camping  :)  cooking  :-X , for the fun of it and possibly due to few restaurant/pubs permitting dogs near food.
I doubt I shall be as organzised as you, or your misses in mailing food, so I would welcome any advice on where you can buy decent dog food on the way, so as to limit food weight..
cheers, Ian.
Good luck on your next adventure
Ian & Zen

Campingman

« Reply #11 on: 14:27:16, 12/02/13 »
Hi Mike

You will absolutely love it!
I have completed the PW twice - 2011 & 2012.  Apr/May 2011 I wild camped 18 nights with no problems whatsoever. Take your time.
I carried 66lbs - totally self sufficient. Water purified from streams was ok. There are however many places en route to stock up with provisions - after the first 2 days I was as fit as a butchers dog (those 2 days were extremely hard Edale to Walshaw Dean resrv.
Coming from North to South you do not need to complete the section KY to Byrness in one hit and you don't need to use the bothies at 9 or 18 miles; at Clennell St you can come off the path and trek down to a lovely waterfall at Davidson's Lind ideal for camping.
I found some cracking spots for camping mostly with water within 200 metres.
If there is anything more specific I can help you with let me know (I can give grid references for Davison's Lind)
Enjoy yourself and stay safe.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:46:57, 12/02/13 »
Mike that's a lot of weight, you say totally self sufficient, so did that include ALL your food for the entire trip?

Campingman

« Reply #13 on: 17:12:20, 12/02/13 »
Slogger - were you replying to my post aimed at Mikee?

I carried enough food for the whole trip - Quick oats, cereal bars, pasta, noodles, rice crackers, powdered milk.
Most of the weight was the gear, tent 8.45lb, sleeping bag 3.03lb, bedroll 2.3lb, stove + cartridges 4.2lb, too many clothes 11.5lb. emergency kit 7.5lb. Food 14.8lb. GPS, mapping, phone & torch 7.6lb.

In 2011, I was 63years old. I did most of my training on Dartmoor/Brecon Beacons wild camping and hiking/survival etc. usually with 75lb of kit. I have trekked/hike in many foreign locations.

This year it is going to be 2 Moors Way and the South Downs Way.

I love reading reports on this forum and I take my hat off to all walkers whatever their levels.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:40:32, 13/02/13 »
Hi Mananddog & Mikee,
I shall also be heading along PW, probably early June with trusty man's best friend, Zen.
walking & camping from North2South so hopefully we may pass and exchange a few tips of the route
I shall be camping  :)  cooking  :-X , for the fun of it and possibly due to few restaurant/pubs permitting dogs near food.
I doubt I shall be as organzised as you, or your misses in mailing food, so I would welcome any advice on where you can buy decent dog food on the way, so as to limit food weight..
cheers, Ian.

I hope to be finished the PW by first week in June so probably won't see you. My maximum estimated weight for ou trip will be about 14kg when I cross the Flow Country in Scotland and will not see civilisation for 3 or 4 days so have to carry food for both of us. The rest of the time I hope to be carrying about 10 or 12 Kg.

I feed dog on tinned tuna (or pilchards) and bread or rice or pasta when I cannot get dog food - he loves it. He also has been given loads of free food in pubs - once he got nearly half a chicken which someone had ordered and then not touched so the landlady gave it to Midge!  I was drooling and had to pay for my food.

Most pubs in rural areas allow dogs in. I can't think of a pub I have tried on the PW which has not let him in - there may be the occasional posh hotel which does not.

I admire people who carry everything, but that is not for me, I travel light and enjoy the food and beers en route and the craic in the pubs.

I should also say that I feed Midge a high energy working dog food on these trips - higher calorie content- and being working dog food it is free of VAT.
« Last Edit: 10:43:42, 13/02/13 by mananddog »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy