Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292264 times)

Tribble

Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #60 on: 22:02:47, 05/10/16 »
Berghaus Fellmaster GTX walking boots.

These boots used to be branded "brasher", but now taken over(?) by berghaus.

Very good quality - with proviso about laces, see above.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 22:25:56, 05/10/16 »
Survive Outdoors Longer emergency bivvy, lighter than a light thing and will opefully just sit in the bottom of my bag never to see the light of day ;).
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 23:27:33, 05/10/16 »
Survive Outdoors Longer emergency bivvy, lighter than a light thing and will opefully just sit in the bottom of my bag never to see the light of day ;) .

I've been carrying one around for 8 months.  Assuming it is actually in there,  it's a great piece of kit, because you do just forget you are carrying the thing. It's so small and light weight. O0

Jon71

« Reply #63 on: 12:54:25, 07/10/16 »
Berghaus Privatale 2 fleece jacket (without the hood) in the black carbon which is very nice and got at a discount which is even nicer :)

NANT

« Reply #64 on: 13:38:17, 13/10/16 »
Just bought some Scarpa Marmolada boots, very comfortable and for a bargain price!!

Look forward to breaking them in and attacking the Berwyn Mountains this winter!

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 14:22:41, 13/10/16 »
Called in to the Montane Outlet Shop in Ashington for a looksee, managed to resist the fleeces and waterproofs but did leave with a new beanie hat, 2 new hoodys (slight 2nd's £10 each) and a new Polestar 2.0 down jacket for the bargain basement price of £40, well pleased.  Just a word of advice, don't go there expecting larger sizes, most of the stuff for sale are  salesperson samples therefore around the medium/large size, some bargains to be had though.

Jon71

« Reply #66 on: 21:49:10, 13/10/16 »
Called in to the Montane Outlet Shop in Ashington for a looksee, managed to resist the fleeces and waterproofs but did leave with a new beanie hat, 2 new hoodys (slight 2nd's £10 each) and a new Polestar 2.0 down jacket for the bargain basement price of £40, well pleased.  Just a word of advice, don't go there expecting larger sizes, most of the stuff for sale are  salesperson samples therefore around the medium/large size, some bargains to be had though.

Is that Ashington, Northumberland? If so that's near me 😊

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 22:43:28, 13/10/16 »
Is that Ashington, Northumberland? If so that's near me 😊
It is indeed and a mere 20 mins up the road from me :D

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 09:35:14, 14/10/16 »
Could I ask why you were bitterly disappointed with you Osprey rucksack Innominate man?  A new rucksack is high on my wish-list just now and I was thinking of an Osprey to replace a Lowe Alpine airzone one, which though it's perfectly ok and very comfortable, is quite heavy.  On my last LDP I think the rucksack comprised nearly a third of the weight I was carrying, which seemed stupid.

On another note I totted up my wish list last night, and it might be a while before I get it.  Plenty time to do some research!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 10:53:25, 14/10/16 »
Funnily enough I too have a Lowe Alpine air zone, 35l, which I chose in preference to an Osprey, for the simple reason it felt more comfortable and fitted me better than the equivalent Osprey.  Had it for a few years now, done 3  LDPs with it and still find it excellent.  We're all built differently and to me fit/comfort is more important than weight.
Where there's a will ...

tonyjoe

« Reply #70 on: 11:40:13, 14/10/16 »
Montane Minimus Grand Tour jacket for spring, summer months to replace my Packlite. So far so good. Got it with £60 off so fairly pleased
Just one more 'up' then it's all downhill from then

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 11:55:50, 14/10/16 »
Used my new Regatta long sleeved fleece styled thermal top yesterday, going up Snowdon.
Very warm and comfortable, and with a lightweight waterproof top, it was more than adequate for a rather chilly ascent of Snowdon.
£5.99 is all it cost, and it performed magnificently.

You can pay significantly more, if you must have that all important right logo on your clothing, but if the garment is fit for purpose, and is well made, why pay more.

Spend the money you saved, on a higher quality waterproof.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: 14:14:00, 14/10/16 »
Could I ask why you were bitterly disappointed with you Osprey rucksack Innominate man?  A new rucksack is high on my wish-list just now and I was thinking of an Osprey to replace a Lowe Alpine air zone one ....
I'm sure my reasons wouldn't apply to other people but for what it's worth here goes;
It was their Mutant 38, which I could use for climbing (dry & winter as well as general walking). My problem was that I'd only seen it in the flesh in black colour and it seemed reasonable enough. The info on the net gave a list of features as long as your arm and it was available in a lime green colour which I fancied the look of. Nobody had one in a shop to look at (other than the black version) so after trawling for a good price I measured my back and bought a M size lime green one.
It came and as I was removing it from the packaging it was clear that it was indeed very light. Maybe easier at this stage to just list my niggles;
I wasn't impressed with the side compression straps that zig-zagged up the sides. It seemed like pulling up shoe laces to tighten them - you had to pull each section rather than one tug for the whole length.
When you placed anything inside it was visible from the outside e.g. I put some gear in dry bags and stuffed them in the sack and when you looked from the outside you could make out the logos of the dry bags. I know it is probably technical material but it just seemed so flimsy.
I was initially impressed with the ice axe attachment system but in the centre of the pack is a vinyl device (pattern) that acts as abrasion protection - again it seemed flimsy and I didn't have confidence that it would last long and given the thin sack material I had visions of the whole thing wearing through.
Added to which this lack of robustness didn't fill me with confidence as far as attaching my crampons to the outside and with no obvious location for them (i.e.no point of reinforcement to protect the material).
There were several other points which were less problematic but on top of these points left me feeling it was a lot of money for something that didn't seem as 'fit for purpose' as what I already had.
To make matters worse - by chance I came across a Deuter 35+ guide in a shop and inspecting that left me thinking I made the wrong choice. In almost every respect it had +ve points where the Osprey was 'iffy'.
I know this was all my own fault but some of the bad aspects weren't as obvious with the black coloured rucksack and only apparent with the lime green one.
And that is it really (I do have more to say on the matter but this post is long enough and I don't want to bore everyone rigid) and these are the highlights. They may sound incidental as written up but when you have the bag in front of you and you start loading your gear into it there is this feeling of  -  why did I pay that money for this ??

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 14:23:27, 14/10/16 »

Interesting thoughts. O0    Tis a very nice looking backpack though.   I considered one for winter stuff a while back

If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: 14:43:07, 14/10/16 »
I do take your point about whether anything so light is really going to last long enough to justify the outlay.
It's a bigger one I am looking for, round the 50-55 litres, a friend has just bought one for a long trek, perhaps I'll wait til she comes back with it and see how well it survived.  And I'll find one in a shop and carry it round with lots of stuff in it to make sure it's as comfortable as the Lowe Alpine one before taking the plunge.
I am always very impressed with people who do LDPs with a 35 litre rucksack Sussamb.  I seem to be better at paring down weight than bulk.  There's never room for lunch and the fleece I take off when it's warm when I try to get it all into a smaller pack.  I always need my 45 litres worth.  Perhaps I should invest in some of those compression sacs.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy