Author Topic: Welcome to WalkingForum.co.uk - Please read  (Read 337634 times)

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Re: Welcome to WalkingForum.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 12:21:53, 17/04/07 »
Yes the question was for you.  Of your LDP that you did last year it be intresting to know how it all went.  What are you up to in Tunisia are you there for work or for your self.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:40:39, 17/04/07 »
If o.k with you i will sort it, when i get back, half work half for me  ;)

1252 solo miles (the maps total was wrong, by a bit)

For those out there that don't know what were talking about.  :)

« Last Edit: 20:43:00, 17/04/07 by summitzero »
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:31:30, 18/04/07 »
You know, SZ, was just thinking ..

Why didn't you just do the Land's End / John O'Groats walk?  I know your walk ended up being longer, but for charity purposes it just seems obvious, or maybe you just wanted to do something a bit different.

I still like the way you linked up several LDPs .. was just wondering?

Cheers, mate.  ;)

Mr. B.

titaniumdude

« Reply #18 on: 00:12:06, 19/04/07 »
I like SZs route. It looks pretty inclusive of the GB LDP experience.  Lands End to the Groats is pretty cliched these days so its nice to see someone tackle an equal (or greater) challenge of their own devising.  Anything that sucks up the Penine Way in its progress is a routeworthy choice though. :)
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:30:16, 19/04/07 »
You're right of course, Titanium, SZ's walk was original and different, but was thinking from a charity raising perspective. 

The Land's End walk is synonymous with long distance walking, and would be an easier sell.  I find it hard to think of it as cliched.  I mean, I guess it is ("Oh, that's so 1970s!"), but I still respect it as a major walk.  But, yeah, I guess SZ wanted to do something that different and of his own devising.

Will wait to see what he says when he comes back from Tunisia.

;)

Incidently, I'm new to the picture posting business, how do you make it so that their file size is small enough to post on here? Shrink 'em?   :P

titaniumdude

« Reply #20 on: 21:07:33, 19/04/07 »
AAAAAAAAAAAh! Tunisia.  Wondered why it had got a bit quiet. 

To get the picture size right you need an app that will simply reduce the number of pixels ( and sometimes the quality as well ) to reduce the overall file size.  I use photoshop for this, but there are many free picture resizing programmes on the net.  Try majorgeeks.com or a similar sight.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:27:26, 19/04/07 »
Ah, like Adobe you mean? Right I'll give it a shot .. tomorrow, work in morning n'that.  >:(

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:53:53, 27/04/07 »
 ;D Hi guys and girls

Hope its been a fun week for everyone?

In ref, to the walk;

I thought it would be more of a challenge to try and walk a different route, also as you can see i was never at a stage where i was walking towards the finish, well not until the very end when i had no other choice, so for me it made the walk that little bit harder, as i always had to, at some stage turn and walk away from the end again, which i found a mental strain.

Also i thought it would be great to walk a walk that nobody had done before, this also gave me some freedom to roam of route and back on again if i liked the look of something  ;D

Ah Tunisia,  not my cup of tea, i think. Did'nt really enjoy it as much as i thought, only had two days work done when i managed to get myself bitten by one of their snakes ( i was told it was some type of viper) rest of the time in bed feeling not very well, with the biggest hand and arm i have ever seen  :'(

The lesson i have learn't is, dont go putting your hand down holes in the ground, no matter what you may have dropped.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 10:34:49, 29/04/07 »
Welcome back, SZ  :D

Sorry to hear about your arm  :o, how on earth did you manage that, what did you drop that was so important?  Hope you're feeling better now.

That's a really good point about never walking towards the finish, I hadn't seen it like that before, I mean when you're up against the wall and every muscle is aching, the finishing point is always in your mind.

I would be interested to know how you managed to raise interest from a charity raising perspective, did you sell the idea as 'an original, challenging walk'?

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 12:51:47, 05/05/07 »
Hi Mr B

As you can tell its took me a while and gave everybody a bit of peace and quite but hopefully on the mend know. I dropped one of my 'mem' cards and did'nt think just rushed to pick it up, Oops.
The only problem i have now is that i am still very red and blisted and get qiute short of breath, which is not good, the doctors reckon about two/three weeks should be back to normal (if you can call it that).

With 'ref' to the walk, to be honest i had a hard working pr team behind me, they contacted all the papers, radio stations, mags and t,v stations and pushed it every day, also your were right they pushed as the first time anyone had walked/hiked this distance in the U.K carrying their own kit and sleeping out everynight, they even got the o.k from the record breakers, that if done as a completely solo load carry then it would be a new record  ;), so this helped advertise the walk also. I found that Scotland knew all about the walk and helped as much as they could, were as England did'nt or should say not nearly as much but i have told that the world cup could have had something to do about it.

All i can be sure about is everybody i met who helped in anyway, from a friendly smile and hello to pledging money, they all made the walk possible, in a way i had the easy bit, all i had to do was keep walking  ;D  (its nice to be back)

achilles

« Reply #25 on: 15:02:47, 10/05/07 »
Looks a useful forum - I'll keep an eye on it.

can't walk as much as I used to, for domestic reasons.  But I like to get in the odd weekend - particularly like scrambling, but age and fitness are catching me out a little.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 19:44:00, 10/05/07 »
Hi Achilles,

Welcome to the forum pal, good to have you  ;D

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 09:17:56, 11/05/07 »
Hello achilles

Welcome it is good to hear from you. :D

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:37:04, 11/05/07 »
How's your arm doing now, Summit?  :)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 19:32:41, 11/05/07 »
Hello Mr B

It is a lot better thanks, it was my hand i was bitten on but both armsand body swelled up, so i looked a bit like a football for a while  :-[.

Still have a feeling of nausea most of the time but it is getting better day by day. Thank god for the tropical school of medicine in Liverpool and the fact that the brown snake was only a young one.

The down side is that the whole years walking has had to be put on hold and i have missed out on some really good trips but as friends and family keep saying, at least i am here to have missed out  ;D.

Also i cant remember the last time i was stuck in the house for so long, its driving me mad and i am sure i am starting to drive everyone else mad  ;D ;D.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy