Author Topic: TR - Winster Valley and Hampsfell Limestone - two contrasting Lockdown walks  (Read 996 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
TR - Winster Valley and Hampsfell Limestone - two contrasting Lockdown walks

I've not been very busy on the TR front - during the first Lockdown I kept a diary of my local walks, but that didn't seem appropriate second time around, covering the same ground with the dog in the depths of winter, often in the dark, hardly makes for interesting reading on a day to day basis. But now that my son is back at school, I feel as if I can stretch my legs a bit more - no more home schooling.

Here is an account of two contrasting walks; the first a longer walk along byways and minor roads to the peaceful Winster Valley, one of my favourite places in the South Eastern Lakes; the second pottering around on Hampsfell, searching out hidden corners and sampling the delights of the limestone pavement.

https://wildaboutwalking.wordpress.com/lake-district/winster-valley-and-hampsfell-limestone/

A few of the photos that I took:

Guess the distant fell - an easy one!

Descending to the Winster Valley

The placid River Winster

The river changes in character as it approaches Morecambe Bay - wouldn't look out of place in the Lincolnshire Fens

Morecambe Bay - click to enlarge

Queen of all she surveys - one of the rock formations in the Lost World on the northern slopes of Hampsfell

Limestone pavement at the top of Hampsfell - a right of way crosses here, according to the OS map.

Limestone crags guard the South Eastern flanks of Hampsfell - time for lunch!
« Last Edit: 12:19:25, 26/03/21 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Always good to see your TRs Richard but reading them once is probably enough, has Tess been walking on your laptop again.  ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Struggling with the forum a bit today, Ridge - lost my first post entirely - or so I thought as I got an error message. Looks as if the same thing happened second time around too. Third time lucky  :)

GnP

• Veteran Member
Both routes made for an interesting read Richard .

Including the noisy ******* chickens & that odd right of way .

Glorious views and those lovely images portray the freedom that hopefully awaits us all... O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Yes lovely to see the wide open views and the hills which are awaiting us  O0

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Two very fine local walks there with some actual elevation and views  O0

The patterns and light in the Morecambe Bay photo blend very nicely. Superb limestone pics, the nearest we've been to that magical corner of the Lakes is Hutton Roof across the estuary. I haven't heard Gryke for quite a while, yes they are formidable when crossing the pavement.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Both routes made for an interesting read Richard .

Including the noisy ******* chickens & that odd right of way .

Glorious views and those lovely images portray the freedom that hopefully awaits us all... O0

Thanks G&P - that sign always makes me smile - good eggs, too, and cheap.

Yes lovely to see the wide open views and the hills which are awaiting us

Not long now until we are let off the leash. Howgills for me next week, if all goes to plan. :)

Two very fine local walks there with some actual elevation and views

The patterns and light in the Morecambe Bay photo blend very nicely. Superb limestone pics, the nearest we've been to that magical corner of the Lakes is Hutton Roof across the estuary. I haven't heard Gryke for quite a while, yes they are formidable when crossing the pavement.

Thanks vghikers. I'm fascinated by limestone country, as I said in my blog, so much of interest. I have visited Hutton Roof; was somewhat underwhelmed, to be honest. Maybe we didn't pick a good route. Farleton Fell has some good pavement, and there is some interesting limestone country around Arnside and Silverdale. The 'Clouds' on the north western flank of Wild Boar Fell were different in character again. And I still have Smardale to look forward to.

I'm planning a long day walk, taking in the best of the Lake District's limestone country. Bus to Kendal, then Scout Scar, Lyth Valley, Whitbarrow, Yewbarrow, Winster Valley and then returning home via Hampsfell and Fell End. I'm saving it for when the pubs have re-opened.  :D
« Last Edit: 16:41:44, 26/03/21 by richardh1905 »

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Thanks for taking the time to post Richard, enjoy your walks  O0 

Mel

• Veteran Member
I enjoyed reading that Richard.  What wonderful scenery you have on your doorstep too.  Naturally I'm not jealous at all, no sireeee  ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Thanks for reading, dodgylegs, Mel  :)

Yes, I do have some great countryside right on my doorstep - an important factor in choosing to live here :)

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Yes, I do have some great countryside right on my doorstep - an important factor in choosing to live here :)

Richard, just as a matter of interest any decent rental properties (not holiday lets) that you are aware of around there?  ;D
Serioulsy thinking of moving (for a number of reasons)
« Last Edit: 22:36:21, 26/03/21 by Dodgylegs »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Very few, dodgy. Don't know what you mean by decent, though.

There's a 2 bed flat above a shop in Grange for 725/month, and a 3 bed semi + garden in Lindale, a few miles to the north, for 795/month.
A few in and around Milnthorpe too, but thin on the ground.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/map.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E566&numberOfPropertiesPerPage=499&radius=5.0&propertyTypes=&viewType=MAP&mustHave=&dontShow=&furnishTypes=&viewport=-3.37009%2C-2.39231%2C54.0587%2C54.3359&keywords=

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Thanks Richard, I'll have a look.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy