Author Topic: Greetings from Lancashire  (Read 2018 times)

Novicepaul

Re: Greetings from Lancashire
« Reply #15 on: 11:01:03, 23/01/21 »
Hi walker's I'm new to this forum and looking for general information on the topic of walking footwear.Im starting a charity walk up the Ben Nevis in June and was wondering what type of footwear to use up the Ben, obviously I need to break them in too on the roadside walking and hills where I live in West Yorkshire.Can anyone please advise on my question.Thankyou.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:14:36, 23/01/21 »

Welcome to the forum NovicePaul.

In answer to your question, a pair of walking boots, which will give the necessary ankle support. If you intend to use them only in good conditions, then a lightweight pair will be fine, as long as they fit well. No need to spend a lot of money.

If you intend going out in wetter conditions, then I would recommend a leather pair rather than fabric, which in my experience always disappoint when the going gets tough.

What sort of experience of hillwalking do you have?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Novicepaul

« Reply #17 on: 19:35:10, 23/01/21 »
10 miles today 10 miles tomorrow on roads but up n down in elevation.

Novicepaul

« Reply #18 on: 19:37:24, 23/01/21 »
What about clothing??

weston.front

« Reply #19 on: 20:12:49, 23/01/21 »
Go to a good boot shop and have a fitting. The make and model of boot which works well for you will depend on the shape of your foot. As Richard has said, if this is a one off summer walk then a fabric boot will take little or no breaking in. Good ankle support is essential
Following the road less travelled : westonfront.wordpress.com

weston.front

Following the road less travelled : westonfront.wordpress.com

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 22:36:38, 23/01/21 »
What about clothing??

Pack a waterproof jacket and some spare warm clothing, even in summer. It can be surprisingly cold on top even if it is hot down in Fort William, and people do get caught out. And avoid cotton - it absorbs sweat like a sponge and can leave you feeling cold when you stop.

Also - navigation. I'm a map and compass man myself, but a fully charged phone with Viewranger is an acceptable alternative. Although a lot of people go up Ben Nevis in the summer, the summit plateau is vast, and it would be easy to head off in the wrong direction if the clouds are down (which they often are).

I went up Ben Nevis a few years ago - this Trip Report may be of interest... https://wildaboutwalking.wordpress.com/highlands/ben-nevis/
« Last Edit: 22:47:26, 23/01/21 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy