Author Topic: Covid: How a £20 oximeter could save lives (and you might already have one!)  (Read 1330 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
From the BBC News website:

Covid: How a £20 gadget could save lives

I found the article interesting. The connection to walking is that some GPS watches, such as the Garmin Fenix 6, have pulse oximeters built in and can give a read-out within minutes...
« Last Edit: 20:08:40, 21/01/21 by WhitstableDave »
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Yep, I have a standard medical one and one built into my phone. It impressed me that readings on the phone one match the other.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Fitbit was also studying if they could spot asymptomatic cases through pulse patterns. The initial results were good.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

harland

• Veteran Member
Taking vitamin D supplements are also recommended, the Government are to distribute to the vulnerable groups shortly although us "walkers" hopefully will have built up a fair amount during our walks, whether local or not!

"During the autumn and winter months everyone in the UK is advised to take a supplement of vitamin D every day to support general health and in particular for bone and muscle health. Many of us have been indoors more than usual this year and so might not have been making enough vitamin D from sunlight.   This advice is particularly important for people who have been shielding this year due to coronavirus (COVID-19), or who are living in care homes, because they are more likely to have been indoors over the spring and summer and so may not have been able to obtain enough vitamin D from sunlight."  

Ray-S

Interesting stuff. I treated myself to a Huawei GT 2 Pro watch for Xmas and it has a Sp02 meter built in. Didn't realise the significance of it although I measure myself most days. So far results are 98% at worst but usually 99% or 100% so ok so far.
I did read somewhere about vitamin D so walked into town and got some from Holland and Barrett. Can't do any harm.

harland

• Veteran Member
Article from The Lancet:-
Vitamin D and COVID-19: why the controversy? - The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology

On Dec 17, 2020, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), in collaboration with Public Health England and the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition, published an updated rapid review   of recent studies on vitamin D and COVID-19. Their recommendations support the current government advice, revised in April, 2020, during the first lockdown in the UK, for everyone to take vitamin D supplements to maintain bone and muscle health during the autumn and winter months. The recommendations are also in line with   new guidance   from the UK government, released on Dec 22, 2020, allowing extremely clinically vulnerable people to opt in to receive a free 4-month supply of daily vitamin D supplements—similar to an initiative launched earlier in Scotland. However, the rapid review concluded that sufficient evidence to support vitamin D supplementation with the aim of preventing or treating COVID-19 was still lacking and that the topic should be further investigated. Experts studying vitamin D welcomed the call for more research, but the lack of specific recommendations in the context of COVID-19 was also met with disappointment by many in the scientific community who have argued that vitamin D supplementation is generally safe and that any potential low toxicity would likely be strongly outweighed by any potential benefits in relation to protection from COVID-19.  

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
I've had an Oximeter for a while, last week I was advised to increase some medication fourfold, I received a massively high pulse reading...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy