Author Topic: An apology given to the two women fined for going for a walk  (Read 3340 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member

The law on exercise states quite clearly that if with the one other person as permitted a 2 metre distance must be kept or a mask worn. ( if you are asymptomatic as you proposed you can help prevent spreading your illness on to others.)
If it's difficult in public places to be 2 metres apart on exercise , wear a mask. The law is quite simple. Why push it,? They state stay at home. Yes exercise is as allowed, but that is stated as an exception to the rule of stay at home.

You say you live in North Yorkshire, well unless they changed the boundaries there aren't many places there in which you would need to travel 9 miles to be on your own, in fact the largest being Middlesborough is only a couple of miles from moorland.

As the woman said yesterday Stay at home, stop pushing.
Too little, too late, too bad......

cornwallcoastpathdweller

now as an 'extremely clinically vulnerable' one im not for pushing the rules on travel or Covid at all, but having said that they do need to make sense.
My house is right ontop of the SWCP, one direction there are nice footpaths in Newquay to walk on, or the other direction a (now) very churned up muddy cliffpath which i walk daily that is usually empty.
Unfortunately, as my 'local town' has been declared to be in the high 800/100k cases i would quite sensibly opt for my usual remote cliffpath route in the opposite direction. 
however, everybody in the town has decided to do the same and its packed to the rafters with people now leaving decent social distancing very difficult.  I have never seen it so busy, its akin to the high street.
So now i drive 5 miles to the nearest quiet area and exercise there as there is never anybody about.
Seems very logical to me, and far far safer given my personal medical and 'local' circumstances, i will continue.
Wont be going any further though.

one step then another then another then a bench - please?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
CCPD it's quite different keeping safe for exercise as opposed to driving 9 miles to meet up with a friend. One is common sense as shown not only by yourself but by other members such as April.
The other is either a deliberate breach or just an example of winding people up. It's difficult for some to lose the reputation for trolling when it looks like that is exactly what they're doing.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
CCPD it's quite different keeping safe for exercise as opposed to driving 9 miles to meet up with a friend. One is common sense as shown not only by yourself but by other members such as April.
The other is either a deliberate breach or just an example of winding people up. It's difficult for some to lose the reputation for trolling when it looks like that is exactly what they're doing.

What the heck is the obsession for saying, someone is trolling, when they take a different view on things on this site?
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
The Covid rules couldn't be clearer.
Any form of exercise must be undertaken whereby the person walks from their home and returns on foot

They used the car, so their fine should have remained

The only reason the Police backed down, was because this case received huge national news coverage.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Any form of exercise must be undertaken whereby the person walks from their home and returns on foot

The only reason the Police backed down, was because this case received huge national news coverage.
To be fair Dyffryn the law you quote is applicable only in Wales.

The rules are different in Scotland, NI and England.

The two ladies had travelled in seoerate cars, having bought coffees en route. In the original statement they were together when approached by the police thus breaching the English 2 metre law. Police were asked to use the 4 Es when approaching people, Engage, explain, encourage, enforce.
 They admitted they had not followed this guidance to the ladies and the fines were rescinded.

The Welsh laws are less easy to push, as are the Scottish and NI laws

shortwalker

• Veteran Member

Have you actually read what Derbyshire police have published?

https://www.derbyshire.police.uk/news/derbyshire/news/news/forcewide/2021/january/force-welcomes-new-guidance-from-npcc-around-about-travelling-during-lockdown/

The fines as most of the others are, are not legal.

We can argue the reasons as much as we like, but when the police or anybody else starts to issue FPN's etc for something that is not illegal, It is right that people "kickback"

Van Morrison

Peak

The reason the fine was rescinded was probably because Boris was cycle 7 mls from home.

Peak

I wonder if the fact that Boris was 7 miles from home, not local IMO, had any bearing on the fines being rescinded.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
I wonder if the fact that Boris was 7 miles from home, not local IMO, had any bearing on the fines being rescinded.

They were rescinded because they were illegal.

They had been rescinded before Boris went on his perfectly legal bike ride.

Van Morrison

jimbob

• Veteran Member

They were rescinded because they were illegal.

They had been rescinded before Boris went on his perfectly legal bike ride.
Clearly you didn't read the newspaper article you highlighted, nowhere do they say the fines to the two breachers were rescinded due to illegality on behalf of the police, in fact it reiterates the rules under which they will fine breaches.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
Clearly you didn't read the newspaper article you highlighted, nowhere do they say the fines to the two breachers were rescinded due to illegality on behalf of the police, in fact it reiterates the rules under which they will fine breaches.

Fairly clear to me.

By the way, it was not a newspaper article it was the force's own webpage. To be honest, if you can't tell the difference between a newspaper article and the forces own webpage that links to guidance from the NPCC  (National Police Chiefs Council) then no wonder you get confused.

"UK Government guidance strongly requests that people do not leave their local area. However, the Covid Regulations which officers enforce and which enables them to issue FPNs for breaches, do not restrict the distance traveled for exercise".

We have had this argument before on here and some people don't get that guidance is not regulation (law). 

I am not saying it should be a "free for all" but I for one find it very worrying when the police start to decide what is legal and what isn't.

I am comfortable in what I have written is correct, perhaps you could find the actual regulation (not guidance) that states traveling any distance is not legal?

Think about it, to legally prosecute someone for traveling "too far" that distance would need to be defined in law. (it is not)  The guidance talks about avoid traveling outside "the part of the city where you live". to legally prosecute someone for that it would need to be defined.

If you cant travel outside your local area why are buses and trains still running? (with no checks on why people are traveling) why were National Trust gardens allowed to stay open?

I am talking of England as I am aware other parts of the UK have different regulations in relation to this.
« Last Edit: 16:32:18, 13/01/21 by shortwalker »

Van Morrison

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
double post
« Last Edit: 16:30:56, 13/01/21 by shortwalker »

Van Morrison

jimbob

• Veteran Member
And which bit of " Where people are breaching the regulations and are away from home without a reasonable excuse, they may be issued with a FPN.  In situations where people are breaching the guidance not to travel out their local area but are not breaching regulations, officers will encourage people to follow the guidance." are you deliberately failing to accept.

You clearly haven't lost any close family members to C19 or you wouldn't be looking to push as you are.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
And which bit of " Where people are breaching the regulations and are away from home without a reasonable excuse, they may be issued with a FPN.  In situations where people are breaching the guidance not to travel out their local area but are not breaching regulations, officers will encourage people to follow the guidance." are you deliberately failing to accept.

You clearly haven't lost any close family members to C19 or you wouldn't be looking to push as you are.

My concern is purely about the police trying to enforce a law that does not exist. if that is "pushing back" then so be it. If we don't what else are they going to do?

If you have lost a close family member from C19 then I am sorry for you. Whilst I thankfully haven't lost anybody close to me, I do have a lot of people that I know who are working for the NHS, so I understand how terrible this thing is.

I agree people shouldn't be travelling all over England, and people need to take more responsibility for what is going on. But in this country, we police by consent and things like this just erode that relationship.

Van Morrison

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy