Author Topic: Request for easy Lakedistrict fells for very overweight hiker  (Read 27953 times)

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
In the NE lakes, a couple spring to mind.

Hallin Fell is a lovely little thing, sitting overlooking Ullswater. Can also include Steel Knotts if you are feeling like a mini ridge (never too severe). Bus to Pooley Bridge then ferry to Howtown.

Loadpot Hill is it's bigger brother. From Pooley Bridge, head up onto Askham Fell and then follow the Roman Road as far as you want. It does eventually go over High Street, but that's a long walk until you've got a lot of miles under your belt. But Loadpot Hill is a satisfying place to turn around.

Much of this appears in https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTQ5MjA= - not trying to get you buy, but it should show you the map and a few pictures. The route traced assumes a car, but the bit from 4 to 8 is the Roman Road and HallinFell / Steel Knotts are off to the left.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
I think the bus also stops at the Kirkstone Pass Inn. Great place for an evening meal in the sun, but also a starting point for a walk up Stoney Cove Pike having got much of the ascent out of the way.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
+1 for Pen y Ghent and Ingleborough. Some steep bits, mind you, but nothing desperate. Perhaps avoid the steep northern approach to Ingleborough from the Hill Inn.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Thanks archaeoroutes. I realise you probably don't want to read all 20 pages of this thread so I'll point out I have a car now so am no longer limited to public transport and I've done Hallin Fell and Loadpot Hill (and 11 other Wainwrights) list here. Haven't done the others you recommended though.

Thanks Richard.

I must admit I was quite enjoying ticking off Wainwrights even if they're the easiest ones but I'll keep in mind walks outside the Lakes too.
« Last Edit: 16:28:51, 20/04/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Unless someone is of a mind to persuade me otherwise I think my next walk will be Silver How. It's about a third of the length of my last two walks but it won't hurt to take it easy this time. I thought about including Loughrigg in the walk as a circular but decided against it on the basis that while it was only 7 miles, there was 723 metres of ascent and I think I need a bit of a break before attempting that. I'll be going back to Loughrigg soon but this time is more about playing with the stove. It is rather short though, anyone got any ideas on what I could add to it?

In fact I think my next three walks will be:

Silver How
Catbells
Loughrigg

Here is my proposed Silver How route.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Rob, what’s the fascination with Lake District Fells?  You have Dufton Pike and Murton Fell on you doorstep.  If you want to try out the new stove, take it for a walk up Scordale as far as you can, make yourself a brew, walk back.  If the range is shut, Swindale off the side of Scordale is equally gorgeous and also has the odd mine to look at.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Rob, what’s the fascination with Lake District Fells?  You have Dufton Pike and Murton Fell on you doorstep.  If you want to try out the new stove, take it for a walk up Scordale as far as you can, make yourself a brew, walk back.  If the range is shut, Swindale off the side of Scordale is equally gorgeous and also has the odd mine to look at.

I don't know what the fascination is to be honest. Habit maybe. I'd just decided where I was going for the next three trips and now you suggest there's better choices. Hey ho. After all the planning I'm minded to do Catbells and Loughrigg after my next walk. I could be persuaded to sack Silver How off though. I'll investigate Scordale.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Ah, sorry.
OK, so with a car...
Pike o'Blisco from the top of Wrynose Pass is pretty easy going. And stunning views along the Langdales. If feeling strong on the day you could readily extend to a round trip including Great Knott and Cold Pike.
I see Helm Crag and Gibson Knott are already on your todo list so I'll add a +1
Fleetwith Pike or Grey Knotts from Honister Pass.
There are lots of nice easy ones from Ennerdale, like Great Borne and Starling Dodd, maybe even Red Pike but that's easier from Buttermere.
Bleaberry Fell and High Seat from Derwentwater.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Thanks archaeoroutes. I'll add those to my list. I'll also investigate the Pennines fells. Don't see the harm in keep doing Lake District fells, I started them because I lived in Penrith and they were accessible by public transport but I've started now seems a bit of a shame to stop.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I don't know what the fascination is to be honest. Habit maybe. I'd just decided where I was going for the next three trips and now you suggest there's better choices. Hey ho. After all the planning I'm minded to do Catbells and Loughrigg after my next walk. I could be persuaded to sack Silver How off though. I'll investigate Scordale.
Tomorrow is a one of the guaranteed public access days and Scordale doesn’t need any planning. Park at the top of Hilton and just start walking up the valley.  The walk in is easy at first then it steepens as the track runs out. From there walk up by the beck until you come out at the top or turn back at any time. Swindale is a side valley off to the right as you go up. Again just walk up as far as you can.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
Bleaberry Fell and High Seat would be great to do at the moment - the boggy bit between the two will be far easier to navigate due to this dry spell.

I did a variation of this walk last(?)  :-\  year (or mebby year before) when the heather was in bloom - beautiful  :)   

https://www.walkingwiththetaxidriver.co.uk/the-walks/cumbria/ashness-bridge-to-high-seat-and-bleaberry-fell-round/

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Tomorrow is a one of the guaranteed public access days and Scordale doesn’t need any planning.

My knees are too sore to do it tomorrow if they're this painful on the flat they'd really create on a slope. I could do it anyway but I wouldn't enjoy it and I'm sure there's a reason bodybuilders rest their muscles after a workout, if I keep pushing without healing I'll probably weaken my knees. Isn't that soreness small tears in the muscles?

I might make it my next trip. Not all my walks have to be in the Lakes (I've done Flakebridge and High Cup Nick locally) and I'll investigate these Pennines fells too, after I know a bit more about the Pennines I might select more fells from there.

Thanks Mel here's hoping my knees recover quickly. They took 4 or 5 days last time so this time will likely be similar.

Mel

• Veteran Member
About your knees Rob - can I suggest that you don't "rest" them.  Do a short, local, easy, gentle walk tomorrow.  Without a backpack.

I find it takes me longer to recover if I have total rest.

... just a thought/suggestion.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
About your knees Rob - can I suggest that you don't "rest" them.  Do a short, local, easy, gentle walk tomorrow.  Without a backpack.

I find it takes me longer to recover if I have total rest.

... just a thought/suggestion.

They've not been at total rest I've been out shopping. You may be right about it taking longer if you have total rest I wouldn't know I continue to use them for everyday living. If in future I find I'm not doing anything I'll take them for a walk.

A backpack weight is neither here or there for me I barely notice it. Remember I'm already packing 76,000 grams of fat to lug around! A couple of thousand more is nothing.

Mel

• Veteran Member
But your knees are used to carrying you around all of the time.  They are not used to carrying you plus backpack around all of the time. 

Anyway, like I said, t'was just a suggestion (borne from experience)  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy