Author Topic: Winter on the way  (Read 6925 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Winter on the way
« on: 12:47:48, 01/12/20 »
Just studying the mountain weather forecasts for the next couple of week ends.  It looks like even us southerners could be seeing some snow on the high ground.  I can feel a trip up to South Wales coming on, if it's allowed. 

Any one else hoping to find some UK Snow?

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Winter on the way
« Reply #1 on: 13:00:55, 01/12/20 »
Oh yes.  O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:32:53, 01/12/20 »
I hope so, running in snow can be great fun. I also like it when we have hard frosts.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:40:55, 01/12/20 »
I hope so, running in snow can be great fun. I also like it when we have hard frosts.
We are already having those. In fact we had frost in August this year.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:12:00, 01/12/20 »
Definitely looking forward to snow. Had a good walk up the Cheviots on Friday, very autumnal still; winter kit all sorted and ready!

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:53:02, 01/12/20 »
It's fun seeing snowmen on Brighton seafront    :)   

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:33:20, 03/12/20 »
It was raining hard and consistently in Portsmouth this morning so I decided to take advantage of it and dressed up to be 'fully waterproof' just to check that all of my clothing is working ok. I then went for a two-hour walk, across fields and through a couple of woods.

I wore my Berghaus Superlight boots, my waterproof gaiters, my rain skirt, my waterproof jacket with a hood. I wore my homemade waterproof tubes made from two cut off sleeves from another jacket and my thin gloves.

It rained all of the time, when I goit back to the care I was totally dry inside, wet outside.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:43:57, 03/12/20 »
It was raining hard and consistently in Portsmouth this morning so I decided to take advantage of it and dressed up to be 'fully waterproof' just to check that all of my clothing is working ok. I then went for a two-hour walk, across fields and through a couple of woods.

I wore my Berghaus Superlight boots, my waterproof gaiters, my rain skirt, my waterproof jacket with a hood. I wore my homemade waterproof tubes made from two cut off sleeves from another jacket and my thin gloves.

It rained all of the time, when I goit back to the care I was totally dry inside, wet outside.

Good to here.  I'm not sure two hours is a very thorough test though.  The odd occasion the rain has got past my rainy day gear it has taken several hours.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:23:06, 03/12/20 »
I know you are right, two hours is not a long time at all when compared to whole days walking but as always my 'weak link' is the area around my face, if the water is going to get in that's where it will happen. I just wanted to make sure that none of my gear had any obvious leak areas, like a seam or around the back of my neck. And of course today I was walking on the flat so no problems about inside perspiration to bother me.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:55:12, 03/12/20 »
Well the weather report for The Breckon Beacons still looks excellent for this weekend.  O0

Alas the Covid map looks less perfect. More cases just in Cardiff, than in Devon and Cornwall combined. So here's hoping there is a sprinkling of snow on Dartmoor.  For those of you lucky enough to be getting proper snow.  Have a good one and be sure to post up pictures to give the rest of us hope.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:47:02, 04/12/20 »
Snow in Essex this morning, 2 inches and still falling in places.
« Last Edit: 07:51:53, 04/12/20 by lostme1 »
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:13:47, 04/12/20 »

There's a photo of Striding Edge under snow taken yesterday by the Lake District Felltop Assessor
https://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/
Skip

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:02:01, 04/12/20 »
Nice, some more desktop backgrounds for me!

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:17:17, 04/12/20 »
Nice, some more desktop backgrounds for me!

You might like this image then GWM
https://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/__data/assets/image/0019/370315/IMG_7382.jpg

To quote Weatherline's readings from Helvellyn summit: "Winter arrived in earnest today with around 3 inches of snow down to valley level on the Thirlmere side of Helvellyn this morning. Knee deep drifts of snow were encountered frequently on the way up, burying the path over large areas."
Skip

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:20:21, 04/12/20 »
Very good, is that you?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy