Author Topic: Where will yours be?  (Read 7410 times)

Skip

• Veteran Member
Re: Where will yours be?
« Reply #45 on: 07:46:48, 30/03/21 »
My first 'freed from stay-at-home rule'  day out was a 20-mile drive to a National Trust park and garden. Quite a few folk about but everyone politely maintaining 2 metre distance and, despite it being an outdoor environment, many people wearing masks.

On the way home I stopped at a hilly country park, my first visit there since before Christmas.
Skip

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 12:43:36, 30/03/21 »
My first 'freed from stay-at-home rule'  day out was a 20-mile drive to a National Trust park and garden. Quite a few folk about but everyone politely maintaining 2 metre distance and, despite it being an outdoor environment, many people wearing masks.

On the way home I stopped at a hilly country park, my first visit there since before Christmas.
We have decided to do the same and have booked a slot in a nearby NT property for tomorrow.  I have been eyeing it as a jumping off spot for a walk for a couple of years.

The government wants us to stay local.  For working and financial purposes, I have decided that means anywhere that can be reached with the car in electirc vehicle mode.  O0
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 17:19:01, 30/03/21 »
We've just returned home after our first post-lockdown walk.

Canterbury Outer Ring with NDW & Elham Valley Way extension - 26.5 miles. Write-up to follow...  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

snaderson

« Reply #48 on: 08:17:36, 31/03/21 »
I'm confused by the new rules. "Stay at home" has ended, but you should stay local and not make unnecessary journeys. I was going to go to the Peak District (up to 25 miles from home) but now I'm not so sure. Without wishing to turn this into yet another debate about how local is "local", does anyone have a link to some clearer advice?

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 08:33:45, 31/03/21 »
We have decided to do the same and have booked a slot in a nearby NT property for tomorrow.  I have been eyeing it as a jumping off spot for a walk for a couple of years.

The government wants us to stay local.  For working and financial purposes, I have decided that means anywhere that can be reached with the car in electirc vehicle mode.  O0
National Trust properties where you need to book are a good option at the moment. At least you know they won’t be overcrowded! Our local one is Sutton Hoo (5 miles away) where we have been going weekly, the only place that hasn’t been ‘from the front door’. This week and next though they have reverted back to a booking system.

I'm confused by the new rules. "Stay at home" has ended, but you should stay local and not make unnecessary journeys. I was going to go to the Peak District (up to 25 miles from home) but now I'm not so sure. Without wishing to turn this into yet another debate about how local is "local", does anyone have a link to some clearer advice?
There has always been that debate but last night on our local news they were suggesting that if you get there and back in a day and not stay overnight that was ok. Eg. A family had travelled to Southend from London. I visited my mum in Felixstowe yesterday afternoon and didn’t go anywhere near the seafront, but there was an awful lot of traffic when I was heading home.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 13:38:57, 31/03/21 »
If I was being cynical, it’s deliberately vague so that government miscreants of all political colours can go about their lives unrestricted, and without having to grovel to the people on evening TV if they get seen out-and-about. 🤣

Otherwise, it about common sense. I agree that the “back in a day” measure is reasonable. I live near Manchester, so Peaks and Lakes seems fair; and when Wales reopens, Snowdonia. 

Kinder Scout via Fairbrook today. Pretty much perfect conditions.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 20:09:39, 31/03/21 »
Where was mine?

North Western corner of the Howgills. Wonderful.

Met ONE person on the hill  :)

TR to follow
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 20:10:58, 31/03/21 »
Lovely pics Richard - looking forward to the TR.

Mine was up Blea Rigg yesterday - no pics as the cloud was down to Easedale Tarn level!!

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 20:58:03, 31/03/21 »
My second 'freed from stay-at-home rule'  day out was a trip up to London by train for a walk in the parks with my daughter. We walked for about seven miles but at a gentle-ish pace.
Skip

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 08:56:31, 01/04/21 »
I went up the Harthope valley in the Cheviots, I had thought of going up Scald hill to Cheviot but gale force winds from the SW put paid to that. Saw my first adder of the year.  :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 13:12:08, 01/04/21 »
Exploring the moors that lie between Dartmoor and Exmoor today.  This used to be an extensive area but they passed into farming during the first half of the last century.  However there are still some patches here and there, some quite large, some small pockets  All that I know of are virtually devoid of any paths too, though one has the Devon Link Road passing through a corner of it.  I imagine they are a haven for wildlife, but since there are no paths to speak of, getting into the centre to explore is tricky - my walks tend to be round the edges.
Solvitur Ambulando

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 16:49:21, 02/04/21 »
Got out to the Lakes today. It felt fantastic to be in such a beautiful spot again (Blencathra), and the wasn’t a cloud in the sky.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 17:11:49, 02/04/21 »
Great shots, looks in good condition!  Did you have it largely to yourself?

Also forgive me if I'm mistaken but you're looking backwards in the first shot just after Mousthwaite, right? 

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 17:47:23, 02/04/21 »
Great shots, looks in good condition!  Did you have it largely to yourself?

Also forgive me if I'm mistaken but you're looking backwards in the first shot just after Mousthwaite, right?

Thanks. There were a few people on Sharp Edge, but nothing silly. Busier on the way down on Halls Fell, but on a sunny Bank Hol, it’s to be expected. Very good conditions - although there were snow patches on Blencathra, the edges were clear and dry.

You’re right about the first shot 👍

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 20:43:09, 02/04/21 »
Lovely photos MKPotato. Really clear today - could see a long way from my local fell - Black Combe, Caw, Coniston Old Man, Wetherlam, Langdale Pikes, Skiddaw, Great Calva, Helvellyn (with patches of snow), Fairfield, Red Screes, Stoney Cove Pike, High Street, Howgills, Whernside, Ingleborough, Forest of Bowland, with the sparkling sands of Morecambe Bay at my feet. Wonderful day to be out.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy