Author Topic: Lightwave Tents anyone?  (Read 4120 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Lightwave Tents anyone?
« on: 22:07:53, 22/06/20 »
WildWalkingUK reviewed the single skin Lightwave S10 Sigma one man 4 season tent earlier this year - good review, but single skin is not the way that I want to go.

Anyone else have any experience of Lightwave tents?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

zuludog

Re: Lightwave Tents anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 11:31:47, 23/06/20 »
I had an Ultimate Tramp 1 for many years, but the time had finally come to replace it, and with something a bit lighter if possible
I like the sloping ridge design, but it looks like they are no longer made, so I got a Lightwave t10, which is a sloping tunnel, so a similar shape
When I started using it I found that there wasn't as much room as the Tramp, and stretching the outer tent over the hoop poles to clip them onto the ends was an absolute struggle; and the sides flapped and billowed around too much

On the plus side, the Lightwave was well made, so perhaps a different model from Lightwave would be OK?

I got rid of the t10 and bought an MSR NX1, which I'm very happy with
It's roomy for one; straight forward to pitch; fairly light, and cheaper than an Akto (well, isn't anything?); and packs down small
The standard of sewing and general construction is excellent, among the best I've seen

So besides the Lightwave tent, I'd have a look at MSR's website and see if they have anything that would suit you

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:32:15, 23/06/20 »
Thanks Zuludog - it is the T10 Trek or Trail that caught my eye. Seen some good reviews.

I've looked at MSR, but the only tent that can really be described as 4 season is the Access, a bit beyond my price range I'm afraid. Also have my eye on the Nordisk Svalbard SI.

zuludog

« Reply #3 on: 14:45:11, 23/06/20 »
I know a couple of people who have Nordisk tents, though I don't know which models, and they are happy enough

I wouldn't like to use a t10 type tent in winter - I can imagine it being very susceptible in side winds
I would insist on seeing the tent pitched before I thought about buying one

Oh, and a comment about all tents now - the makers use all sorts of tricks to reduce the cost and weight. Typically they will only supply the absolute minimum of pegs and/or guys to put the thing up
What most people would expect they class as ' for extreme conditions'
And missing out the bags
This sort of thing is probably hidden somewhere in the fine print, so while it might be legal, I regard it as sharp practice

So when you're shopping around double check exactly what you're getting, and compare like for like. Allow for any extra cost or weight accordingly

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:45:13, 23/06/20 »
Indeed - I hate it when they quote a weight that doesn't include the bags or the pegs. Lightwave I don't think are guilty of that, and supply a mixture of pegs, including some pretty beefy looking pegs for soft ground.

Edit - I don't share your concern about tunnel tents, as long as they are well designed. I'm thinking of the likes of the Nallo, and I suspect that the Lightwave Arctic tunnel tent is a real bomber too. Not that I need an expedition tent!
« Last Edit: 17:13:36, 23/06/20 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:44:58, 23/06/20 »
Well on the strength of this review, and the follow up comments, I've gone and ordered a Lightwave Trek T10, clearance stock as the model has been superseded by their Trail range, a steal at £129 inc postage.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:31:54, 25/06/20 »
The Lightwave T10 Trek arrived today, pretty fast delivery. Tent looks high quality, well finished. 40d Silnylon outer, DAC poles, plenty of guying points, looks like a little toughie. One minus - some pegs were missing, but a quick phone call to the manufacturer sorted that, some will be in the post tomorrow.

No prizes for guessing where I will be sleeping tonight!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:57:55, 26/06/20 »
Bit of a devil to put up for the first time, but with practice should be easy enough. Tent is of high quality. I'll do a review after I've done some real camping in it.

Bman1

« Reply #8 on: 10:17:05, 27/12/20 »
Hi Richardh1905,
how are you getting on with the T10 Trek?...I was thinking of getting one myself.
Couple of Q's
1. In the article/review it says that you can set it up with both fly/inner attached rather than the instructions (inner first) have you tried this and how easy was it?
2. Whats the venting/condensation like?
3. Space/size i'm 5,10 could i lie straight on a think mat without worrying about touching the inner/fly together?
4. Whats it like in strong winds i.e. does the inner/fly touch?
Thanks

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:46:55, 28/12/20 »

Hi Bman1, and welcome to the forum.

I have wild camped up on the fells with the Trek 10 for 7 nights now, and it has withstood very strong gusting winds and heavy rain without problems. In answer to your questions:
1 - I haven't tried to set it up with the fly and inner attached. I have pitched it twice in rain and it was possible to partially attach the fly to protect the main part of the inner during erection, but I'm not really worried about it as the inner dries very quickly if it gets a bit wet.
2 - ventilation is OK - the upper part of the inner door is mesh. The vent above the fly door is a bit useless, but I haven't had too much of an issue with ventilation or condensation.
3 - space is pretty good, although bear in mind that I am only 5'6. I doubt that you would have a problem.
4 - I can't remember a problem with the fly touching when I did camp in a night of especially strong gusting winds. I was careful to pitch end on to the wind though - if it was a strong side wind, I would imagine that there might be a problem. I was more concerned with the fly cracking like a whip - kept me awake most of the night (I now pack foam ear plugs) - but the wind really was quite violent.

All in all it is an excellent tent for the money, perhaps not the easiest to pitch as the poles really are quite tight in the sleeves, and the fly is attached to the inner and poles with no less than 8 velco straps! I'm not complaining - this no doubt adds to the strength of the tent. I would be happy to use this tent in all but the most extreme conditions.

The Trek T10 is still available for £129 from https://crux-outlet.online/product/t10-trek - an absolute steal for a 4 season silnylon tent, in my opinion. Customer service is excellent - they sent me some extra 'Breaker' pegs - real bombers for the front and rear peg out points - especially important in a tunnel tent.

Hope that this helps  :)
« Last Edit: 09:30:01, 29/12/20 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:50:41, 28/12/20 »
COPY OF A REVIEW THAT I DID EARLIER THIS YEAR

Thought that I had better give a bit of feedback now that I have used The Lightwave T10 Trek in anger.

Pros:+ cheap for a high quality 4 season one man tent.
+ good quality materials - 40d silnylon and DAC alloy poles.
+ tough: it was pretty wild on my last trip, the tent got a real hammering in the gusting wind. I have confidence in it.
+ high enough to sit up in - definitely not a coffin!
+ the 4 spiral 'Breaker' tent pegs supplied are real bombers - just what you need for securing the front and rear of the fly - important in a tunnel design, and worth the extra weight (I pack 3 on a trip). Also supplied are aluminium nail and smaller spiral 'Wavelight' extruded pegs - I don't use the small spiral ones.
+ good after sales - for some reason the advertised Breaker pegs were missing, but a quick phone call sorted that. And spare poles for all of Lightwave's older designs are available. Not that I am expecting a breakage, but accidents happen.
+ British company - not that I am ultra patriotic about these things, but it is good to support a smaller British company.
+ solid inner.

Cons:
- inner first. But the inner has a water repellent finish. Lightwave claim that the inner first construction is stronger.
- a bit of a fiddle to pitch compared to 'all in one' designs. In particular, the outer is attached to the poles using velcro straps in no less than eight places - I presume this gives the tent extra strength and stability, so I shouldn't grumble. Took me about ten minutes on my last trip, but the wind was very strong, so I took my time.
- if you are careless about pitching the inner, there is a possibility that the aluminium nail tent pegs can damage the fly when you peg that out. I managed to tear a small hole in the base of the fly as a consequence of getting this wrong by leaving the inner tent peg protruding a couple of inches (now repaired). To avoid the possibility of this happening again, I have added 3 aluminium wire hook type pegs, with nicely rounded tops.
- the porch in particular flaps in strong winds.
- The silnylon flysheet seams are not sealed. I've been out in some very wet and windy weather, and haven't found this to be a problem in practice.

Weight - 1.7kg all in - not the lightest, but it is a tough 4 season tent.
Would I recommend it? A cautious YES, if you are serious about camping high in all seasons and are on a tight budget, but this is not a beginners tent.

« Last Edit: 09:26:47, 29/12/20 by richardh1905 »

Bman1

« Reply #11 on: 09:58:52, 27/11/22 »
Thought I would give an update on this tent in addition to that given by RichardH above, having used mine now for about a year; two opinions are better than one! :-)...I have pasted alongside Richard's comments

Pros:+ cheap for a high quality 4 season one man tent.
+ good quality materials - 40d silnylon and DAC alloy poles.
AGREE
+ tough: it was pretty wild on my last trip, the tent got a real hammering in the gusting wind. I have confidence in it.
AGREE, although if the wind is squally it does buffet the side a bit.
+ high enough to sit up in - definitely not a coffin!
DISAGREE, I am 5,10 and find it difficult to move around inside the tent as its so narrow.
+ the 4 spiral 'Breaker' tent pegs supplied are real bombers - just what you need for securing the front and rear of the fly - important in a tunnel design, and worth the extra weight (I pack 3 on a trip). Also supplied are aluminium nail and smaller spiral 'Wavelight' extruded pegs - I don't use the small spiral ones.
AGREE, the pegs are excellent, although I find myself leaving the big spirals behind due to their size, just taking the smaller spirals.
+ solid inner.
AGREE, you do notice how warmer/less draughty it is due to this.

Cons:
- inner first. But the inner has a water repellent finish. Lightwave claim that the inner first construction is stronger.
DISAGREE, in fact this has put me off inner first pitch; interesting that the manufacturer/supplier has now updated this model to allow outer pitching first. Due to inner pitch first you cannot break camp in the rain keeping everything dry [including yourself] under the fly, this is what I like about previous tents I have had. Also, if you get a sudden down pour pitching a fly only quickly allows you to wait dry whilst waiting fo the rain to subside, before then pitching the tent fully. NOTE, although some reviews say that you can keep the fly/inner together and pitch them this doesn't really work; I have tried many approaches to pitching and the quickest is still to pitch inner first.
- a bit of a fiddle to pitch compared to 'all in one' designs. In particular, the outer is attached to the poles using velcro straps in no less than eight places - I presume this gives the tent extra strength and stability, so I shouldn't grumble. Took me about ten minutes on my last trip, but the wind was very strong, so I took my time.AGREE, although I find to get a decent pitch with this tent takes a lot of tweaking.
- if you are careless about pitching the inner, there is a possibility that the aluminium nail tent pegs can damage the fly when you peg that out. I managed to tear a small hole in the base of the fly as a consequence of getting this wrong by leaving the inner tent peg protruding a couple of inches (now repaired). To avoid the possibility of this happening again, I have added 3 aluminium wire hook type pegs, with nicely rounded tops.
AGREE, I read this before getting mine and think of this post every time that I pitch...thanks Richard so far you have saved me the heart break of ripping my fly!
- the porch in particular flaps in strong winds.
AGREE
- The silnylon flysheet seams are not sealed. I've been out in some very wet and windy weather, and haven't found this to be a problem in practice.
AGREE

Weight - 1.7kg all in - not the lightest, but it is a tough 4 season tent.
AGREE, in fact mine is 1.6 and if you want to get the weight down a little Lightwave sell thinner lines [2.5mm or 1mm]...rather have extra 500g weight over the lightest one person rivals and know its bulletproof.

Would I recommend it? A cautious YES, if you are serious about camping high in all seasons and are on a tight budget, but this is not a beginners tent. MMMM,
UNDECIDED...great value for the money; basically you couldn't buy this quality for what I [and Richard] paid BUT I find this tent a love hate relationship...love the small footprint size for finding even the smallest pitches BUT hate how it restricts my movement in the tent...love the strength of a tunnel design BUT find the effort/time required in getting it pitched a PITA and it can be quite fiddly with cold hands...
Finally AND VERY IMPORTANT, I have found condensation is an issue in this tent. Its fine when its cold and/or its windy BUT if you are pitched in a sheltered area with little wind however much you 'play' with opening the outer/inner doors you still get a damp/wet sleeping bag. I think this is due to the solid inner, and so suggest that this tent is more suited to Alpine, snowy, or high altitude camping...not a lot of opportunity for this in the UK.
As a result of the above sometimes I think "I need to sell this on", and other times I think "This is a lot of tent for what I paid/what it could sell for secondhand". As a result I will probably keep it as a 'spare' for really rough conditions, and get a 3-4 season two-person of a similar weight to use for most of my camping except the extreme.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:07:01, 27/11/22 »
Interesting to hear your opinion, Bman1 :)

I have found that it is possible to pitch my Lightwave T10 Trek 'all in one', by leaving the fly attached to the inner pole sleeves by means of the eight velcro tabs. This does make it slightly more fiddly to thread the poles, but no big deal once you get used to it, and certainly a lot easier than fiddling with the velcro tabs every time! Pitching this way keeps most of the inner protected from the rain, but not all.

It is also easy to take down the tent 'all in one' in bad weather by leaving the fly attached. On my last wild camping trip I did just this on a wet mountain top, in gale force cross winds, after packing my rucksack and putting on every scrap of clothing that I had in the tent (I am a relatively short 169cm) - it was then easy to strap the sodden tent to the outside of the rucksack, and sort it out later.

PS - glad that you didn't make the mistake that I did and rip your flysheet. I was gutted - but I did make a bombproof repair.

PPS - I always take 3 of the Breaker pegs. In my opinion, it is really important to get bombproof pegs in at either end of a tunnel tent, and the Breakers can quite literally be pounded into the ground using a rock, and they grip wet ground very well too. I know that they are relatively heavy, but that is a small price to pay when the going gets tough. Same could be said for the whole tent.

Lightwave T10 Trek on top of White Maiden before the weather took a turn for the worse.....
« Last Edit: 12:26:59, 27/11/22 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:22:58, 30/11/22 »
Update - on Monday night I suffered a serious condensation problem for the first time in the Lightwave Trek. It was a frosty and humid night, to be fair, very still too, and I didn't attempt to ventilate the tent at all. In the morning, the inside of the solid inner was very wet along the apex of the tent, the first time that I have had any condensation form on the inner. Still drying it out in the garage!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy