Author Topic: Comfort in sustained rain?  (Read 6910 times)

killie123

Re: Comfort in sustained rain?
« Reply #15 on: 15:14:09, 22/02/21 »
Hi all, I have had some varied waterproofs and my jackets include a paramo alta 2, mountain equipment Rupal hardshell and a Rab Kinetic Plus (original no the Alpine) I like them all but the paramo can get a build up of condensation when I'm wrapped up warm against the elements. Thats why I bought the Rupal as its more breathable and I just layer up differently. The Rab Kinetic Plus has been my goto jacket in the warmer months and I have been out in some pretty horrible conditions with it and its never let me down. It doesn't look or feel as if can be a really waterproof softshell but as I said it's never let me down.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:16:55, 22/02/21 »
I've just caught up with your entry and like what you write about the Rab Kinetic Plus, I've just ordered an Alpine 2.0. I just hope I don't have to send it back. I think I've also muddled myself up as to which thread I should have written to?

Kev06

« Reply #17 on: 21:59:28, 22/02/21 »

I am a person who certainly runs hot when I'm climbing a hill, and I cannot recommend Gore Tex Pro highly enough. The hoods on the ME jackets are very good too, you can adjust them to get a good fit and seal.

I appreciate your caution though, they are not cheap!
Thanks Richard, thats good to hear! I think I shall look around then, and see what may be found.

Probably I can't actually go wrong if gore-tex-pro is matched with a good design; it may not be all that I would dream for, but either way there doesn't seem a lot to surpass it for when good waterproofness is wanted, and I already have decent DWR wind-proofs and so on for lesser conditions. The shake-dry (and equivalents) look interesting but at this stage in their development probably too fragile for me to risk.

It isn't that I'm any kind of extreme or long distance walker, and I'm certainly not rich, so I don't need something that'd keep mountaineers alive. But exercise is proving to be invaluable in containing my diabetes and so walking has now become very regular, whatever the weather - hot and yet clammy discomfort starts to wear a bit thin, day after day. As (in a more real sense) does a lot of walking gear; 50-60miles a week doesn't seem much but amazingly it is enough to chew through boots and clothing at a frightening rate, so investing in durability is actually looking like a decent investment these days.

The baselayer still looks to be the other half of the equation though, so that is still very much on the agenda as well.
Cheers,Kev

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 06:11:18, 23/02/21 »

The baselayer still looks to be the other half of the equation though, so that is still very much on the agenda as well.
Cheers,Kev

50/60 miles week in/ week out is a lot I think. We used to do a “mileage table” here where regular contributors reputed mileage done...2 to 3 thousand miles a year would be “top” range. (I put asterisks round “top”, because for most of us, it’s enjoyment that’s key.)

On base layers I don’t think there’s as much difference between low priced and high priced base layers as applies to outer layers (I do spend chunky money on base layers but I do it knowing comfort gains will be marginal.)

If you just buy something made out of an appropriate material (polyester, merino wool, bamboo) you won’t go far wrong...a ten quid Regatta polyester base layer or a ten quid Merino from Aldi will give most of benefits of something far dearer.

Of course..all my opinion..but suspect a fair number of others have a similar view.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 09:51:18, 23/02/21 »

50/60 miles week in/ week out is a lot I think. We used to do a “mileage table” here where regular contributors reputed mileage done...2 to 3 thousand miles a year would be “top” range. (I put asterisks round “top”, because for most of us, it’s enjoyment that’s key.)

I must point out that it's entirely possible to cover a few thousand miles in a year with enjoyment being the primary motivation. Mileage and enjoyment are not mutually exclusive.

I believe that pretty much all walking can be pleasurable - woods, hills, roads, fields, trails, urban, treadmill even - because enjoyment comes from a state of mind. But in addition to taking pleasure in ones surroundings, enjoyment can also come from meeting targets, and achievements such as walking further and/or faster in a day than ever before, or reaching previously unachieved summits. Strenuous days can be extremely enjoyable!

It's stating the obvious I know, but mileage is related to speed as well as to time spent walking. Two people might spend equal time enjoying the countryside, but if one averages double the speed of the other then they will clock up twice the distance. And, of course, the one who does twice the distance will probably see more of the enjoyable countryside!  ;)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Kev06

« Reply #20 on: 10:21:06, 23/02/21 »
Yes, I do enjoy quite a lot of it, and the increased fitness is quite satisfying too. Though I find pushing hard (which gets the most benefit) robs it of a little enjoyment factor, as do the rather monotonous local routes in these strange times. So if I'm also hot and strangely clammy, it starts to seem more of a slog than something pleasant; if I can sort that to some extent then I shall be quite happy.

Kev06

« Reply #21 on: 10:23:52, 23/02/21 »

On base layers I don’t think there’s as much difference between low priced and high priced base layers as applies to outer layers (I do spend chunky money on base layers but I do it knowing comfort gains will be marginal.)

If you just buy something made out of an appropriate material (polyester, merino wool, bamboo) you won’t go far wrong...a ten quid Regatta polyester base layer or a ten quid Merino from Aldi will give most of benefits of something far dearer.

Of course..all my opinion..but suspect a fair number of others have a similar view.
Thanks for the thoughts, very useful indeed! I've got quite a collection of poly tee-shirts of different prices and, just as you say, I hadn't noticed a great deal of difference.

However, they're all loose fitting ones. Which is great when worn as an only layer, with breeze to waft through them, but I think when under other layers they might need to be snug against the skin to work fully. From what I can find, it appears that air gaps can allow the damp material to get cool, which is both unpleasant and also hinders it being evaporated away by body heat. Should be quite cheap to get a smaller/stretchier tee and test that, anyway. Though I'd need to overcome vanity issues of wandering around in clingy stuff if the rain stopped!

Yeah, I suppose the mileage does add up. I only go 15-20 miles per walk, which I'm sure is peanuts to many on here. But it feels quite enough on a very low carb diet, so I go for more walks rather than longer ones. It certainly takes its toll on boot soles and trousers anyway, and tops tend to wear at the shoulders and elbows so i don't think I could go for anything too flimsy unless it were also cheap. Perhaps a decent jacket and cheap baselayers might be a sensible way to go.
Cheers
Kev

Ronin83

« Reply #22 on: 15:55:20, 23/02/21 »
For baselayers...

I find polyester makes me sticky and clammy, not to mention the stink they hold. I think the reason it dries so quickly is the fact that it's basically plastic and so doesn't really absorb much in the first place. As a result the moisture and oils which dont make it to the surface and evaporate just kind of sit there? I don't know, just a theory, but the clammyness is real.
Some more expensive ones have antibacterial tech like silver fibres.
For me the way forward is...

Merino for cooler periods/long trips
Bamboo for summer/OK for multi days but not as long as merino
Polyester for 1 day max (and to cheaply fill the wardrobe whilst you build up a merino, bamboo collection maybe.

Regarding waterproofs, I understand the struggle. I get so hot walking.
Gtx Pro seems to be advised a fair amount.
Dare I say it?
UMBRELLA!

Kev06

« Reply #23 on: 16:22:33, 23/02/21 »
Hmm, thats good to know. I was hoping a snug fit may stop the sticky damp feeling, but perhaps the polyester itself also contributes.

It is a pity I don't get on with merino, but it sounds like you would prefer bamboo anyway for warmer situations. I've never tried it myself, so thanks for that suggestion - certainly something to investigate.

The multi-day thing isn't necessarily a problem with the kind of day-long walks I do, especially if the layer is cheap enough to own spares. Or it could be washed overnight, if it wasn't too fussy about washing & drying requirements.

Unbrellas wouldn't be completely out, but for proper walking I find they become a faff to hold up all the time - especially if it is breezy. And windy really doesn't work with them!

Cheers,Kev

Ronin83

« Reply #24 on: 22:15:57, 23/02/21 »
Yeh bamboo is a game changer for me. Super super soft on skin, some of the properties of wool (anti bacterial, stays warm when wet), and breathes well.
Negatives are...
Maybe not so resistant to abrasion eg backpack straps (but is strong)
Doesn't dry as fast, but this can be improved with thin material
Often expensive

There are backpacking umbrellas you see Americans using. Never used one

Kev06

« Reply #25 on: 10:07:48, 24/02/21 »
Thanks again. Looking around the internet at bamboo, it certainly looks very potential indeed. But much more variable in quality than polyester, and often intended to add more warmth as well, so choosing the right design might be very important.

On the other hand, very little claims to be quite as cool or wicking as good synthetic materials, and they're often cheaper too. So my final choice probably depends if I can find a close-fitting poly one that feels comfy, and if not then try stepping up to bamboo.

Cheers, Kev.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 10:13:15, 24/02/21 »
I'm happy with my cheapo Mountain Equipment 'Isocool' synthetic tops - comfortable and they do the job.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 10:26:29, 24/02/21 »
A agree with Ronin 83 but in my case, I've more or less overcome the synthetic pong problem by wearing my Brynge 'string vest' underneath each garment. The 'string vest' is polypropylene so I can clean, squeeze and dry it all within a few minutes, and on a hot day, if I want to, I just put it on me wet and it dries on within about 45 seconds. It equally helps with my bamboo and merinos layers as well.

When hiking I personally prefer synthetic, (but not those elasticated Armour type garments) because they wash and dry so easily. I like bamboo for its comfort and softness (makes great underwear as well) but they can sometimes take all day to dry on the back of my rucksack, but less if the weather is hot and sunny. I've also been tempted to buy bamboo socks for hiking but I'm just not sure about them?

I bought a hiking umbrella once, I took it with me once and never used it because when I had the occasion to it was just too windy.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 13:19:57, 24/02/21 »

When hiking I personally prefer synthetic, (but not those elasticated Armour type garments) because they wash and dry so easily. I like bamboo for its comfort and softness (makes great underwear as well) but they can sometimes take all day to dry on the back of my rucksack, but less if the weather is hot and sunny. I've also been tempted to buy bamboo socks for hiking but I'm just not sure about them?

Early days, but bought some thin mid length bamboo socks from Tesco’s a few days ago (pack of five for six quid), and have used them as liners on last couple of walks.

First impressions positive...but long way to go before I can say more.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:21:03, 24/02/21 »
I have worn bamboo socks as liners for a long time now. I get the soft top ones, because I hate the dig of elasticated tops on socks at the end of a long day on my feet. I usually wear them under the sports direct karrimir merino walking socks. Since I lather my feet in olive oil and t tree oil mix every morning, walking or not, I've avoided blisters though Ive had a couple of hot spots (usually under the meaty part of my big toe (1st joint). I use superfeet green insoles, though just recently I've been trying the gel insoles someone on here recommended awhile ago.

The bamboo socks are really comfortable, and cheap as chips, never thought of trying bamboo base layers but you've got me thinking.

Just waiting for lockdown to end and feel safe to travel back up home for a while and start my Northumberland circular.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy