Author Topic: DIY Beer Can Windshield/Pot stand for an alcohol stove  (Read 3938 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: DIY Beer Can Windshield/Pot stand for an alcohol stove
« Reply #15 on: 19:23:57, 23/02/21 »
Some pictures of the 30ml Speedster alcohol burner in action.

As it arrived, with the lid on. As you can see, it is tiny! But it does the job.

Lid off, showing the absorbent material inside, trapped beneath a metal mesh. What could be simpler?

Thought that I would give it a test in the beer can windshield in our windy and wet back garden.

Steam rising - time for a brew!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Peak

« Reply #16 on: 21:39:04, 23/02/21 »
So what are your first impressions?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:38:35, 24/02/21 »
Good. Love the simplicity, lightness, small size - and low cost. Satisfies all of my needs for a short wild camping trip.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:16:33, 24/02/21 »
That's excellent Richard 10/10  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:25:45, 24/02/21 »

Thanks windyrigg

Made another version of the windshield this afternoon, drilling the pot stand holes this time (4mm drill). Much neater and stronger than the holes I get using a 4" nail, which are prone to tearing at the corners, a point of weakness. And 6 air holes punched around the bottom edge rather than 4 (the Speedster windshield has 6 indentations along its bottom edge). Not sure whether that makes much difference in practice.

Tested with the Speedster burner (inside), 10 minutes to boil 300ml water, using I would estimate about 18-19ml of meths.

The 50ml plastic bottles that I ordered from Swindon Composites via ebay are excellent: light, tough plastic, close fitting lid, and they make it easy to measure out a 25ml fill of the 30ml burner, half a bottle in other words.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 21:43:21, 14/03/21 »
Further to my experiments with beer cans, I have finally settled for the same design made out of some salvaged 0.4mm aluminium sheet, as I felt that the beer can version was just a bit too light and flimsy - during an outdoor test, it blew away when I lifted the mug off! The 0.4mm version weighs all of 31g instead of 8g for the beercan version, still coils snugly inside the mug, and will be my choice for wild camping.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:39:13, 15/03/21 »
I love these DIY projects! Afro

Personally though, I'm a bit afraid of alcohol stoves because of the potential spilling and the fact that it can burn with invisible flame. Also, many national parks where I hiked they are illegal (Angeles forest, Torres del Paine, etc). But in wet Britain there is a lot less to fear. You won't burn down an entire forest with one small mistake, like in the American West.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:49:54, 15/03/21 »
So as a novice in this subject area, my choices seem to be gas in a can screwed onto a gas burner, Richards suggestion (which is very appealing), and I bet other options as well. Personally, I wouldn't know where to start. I've looked at different sites and articles a few times but I've just confused myself with knowledge overkill and not being sure about which route to go down. Likewise, the cup that you boil the water in, what metal is it made from, and what size cup to buy, are they standard in size?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 14:26:31, 15/03/21 »
The cup is a Lixada 650ml titanium mug, diameter is 100m nominal; should be able to pick one up for less than £20 from ebay or Amazon. A good size for a brew, or for noodles etc. Quality is very good. You could make a meths stove for nothing, likewise the beer can windshield - why not give it a go?

Edit - to make a simple alcohol stove, just cut the bottom 20mm from a Red Bull or similar energy drink can (smaller diameter than a beer can), and stuff a tuft of mineral wool from your loft into it - works perfectly well, and will not spill, as long as you do not over fill it.
« Last Edit: 14:44:24, 15/03/21 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 14:35:57, 15/03/21 »
You could also try Highlander, Esbit or Coghlans Hexamine tablets (solid fuel). Just burn them in a jam jar lid (plastic seal burnt off beforehand), or an old Nikwax/shoe polish tin. Use with the pot stand/windshield. I'm not a fan, but they do work.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:52:05, 15/03/21 »
Can't remember whether I posted these on another thread - pictures of a simple DIY stove.

Energy drink can salvaged from the bottom of a hedgerow (who drinks this muck?)

Cut off the bottom 20mm

Trimming neatly to size. Use emery cloth to remove any sharp edges.

Can base and mineral wool from the loft.

Finished DIY alcohol stove

Ignition!

Time for a brew. Lixada 650ml titanium mug containing 300ml of water.

It really is as simple as that; works just as well as my Speedster burner, but has no lid to save unburnt fuel. A ziplock bag would suffice though.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 10:17:35, 16/03/21 »
........... (limewash was used to paint the hemels, both to clean and disinfect them)

Please, what is a 'hemel' ? Google only offers Dutch for heaven/sky
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 11:34:13, 16/03/21 »
Energy drink can salvaged from the bottom of a hedgerow (who drinks this muck?)

If it's an 'energy drink' the answer is probably cyclists. Walking the lanes round our way I often see Lycra-clad litterlouts not only drink the stuff but, in too many cases, toss the empty cans onto the verge or into the hedge-bottom. Makes me livid  >:(

Sorry for threadjacking BTW
Skip

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 12:22:05, 16/03/21 »
Jac, a hemel is where the farmers put the kine ower winter.

It's a cattle shed for overwintering cows.

As in Hemel Hempstead possibly. .
Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:49:49, 17/03/21 »
If it's an 'energy drink' the answer is probably cyclists. Walking the lanes round our way I often see Lycra-clad litterlouts not only drink the stuff but, in too many cases, toss the empty cans onto the verge or into the hedge-bottom. Makes me livid  >:(

Sorry for threadjacking BTW

They are the so called 'energy drinks' that are laced with caffeine (think Red Bull), and I suspect that car drivers are the main culprits.
« Last Edit: 17:01:10, 17/03/21 by richardh1905 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy