Author Topic: Book Recommendations  (Read 6879 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Book Recommendations
« Reply #30 on: 13:17:08, 09/04/20 »
Just started Reinhold Messners superb book, "The Crystal Horizon" about his solo climb up Mt Everest.
Its been a few years since ive read it, and with lots of spare time on my hands, i thought i would revist its pages.

A great read, and it still impresses me, to think he climbed the mountain totally alone, with his girlfriend waiting patiently at basecamp.

Marsden Moor

« Reply #31 on: 17:56:23, 09/04/20 »
 The Salt Path by Raynor Winn

Me too, not usually my sort of read but really enjoyed it

Pitboot

« Reply #32 on: 19:14:16, 09/04/20 »
Not a recommendation but I have a book on Kindle and it will be free to download as an e book over this weekend, it's for kids 10 - 16 ish. I would love to make it free while the lockdown exists but am constrained by Amazon rules.
The title is "Howerton", author Bob Pitt.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 19:20:10, 09/04/20 »
Not a recommendation but I have a book on Kindle and it will be free to download as an e book over this weekend, it's for kids 10 - 16 ish. I would love to make it free while the lockdown exists but am constrained by Amazon rules.
The title is "Howerton", author Bob Pitt.
Excellent.  Not my age range, way too advanced.
A couple of friends of mine are authors, one had a good deal from a publishing house, the other self publishes.  I suggested Amazon to her the other day, is it easy to do, do you have to get it approved?
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Pitboot

« Reply #34 on: 19:26:15, 09/04/20 »
Very easy to do, it goes through a short approval process. All advice and guidance is on the site. I'm no Oxford don and found it fun, if not rewarding.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 19:50:17, 09/04/20 »
Very, very easy to get the books up. And so are most of the other retailers (Barnes and Noble, Kobo, Google, etc.) Apple make it a bit harder (by trying to enforce you have to have one of their devices to upload it) but still easily doable.

The hard bit is getting anyone to buy it!
I make a few hundred pounds on fallow months, mostly from my novels, but this can rise to £1500-2000 if I'm working on the promotion. Compared to other authors I know, that's peanuts.
I hang on to my marginal claim to kudos of having been the 5th best-selling science-fiction author in the world (according to Amazon). It was a for a few hours!
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 20:08:20, 09/04/20 »
Very, very easy to get the books up. And so are most of the other retailers (Barnes and Noble, Kobo, Google, etc.) Apple make it a bit harder (by trying to enforce you have to have one of their devices to upload it) but still easily doable.

The hard bit is getting anyone to buy it!
I make a few hundred pounds on fallow months, mostly from my novels, but this can rise to £1500-2000 if I'm working on the promotion. Compared to other authors I know, that's peanuts.
I hang on to my marginal claim to kudos of having been the 5th best-selling science-fiction author in the world (according to Amazon). It was a for a few hours!
Who were the other four.
I shall have a word with my friend again, to her a few hundred is a lot of cash.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 20:10:02, 09/04/20 »
Very easy to do, it goes through a short approval process. All advice and guidance is on the site. I'm no Oxford don and found it fun, if not rewarding.
Tahnks, she is an Oxford graduate, and a Cambridge graduate.  Some people are just greedy when it comes to education, but she did pay cash for both of them as she is foreign.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 09:40:28, 10/04/20 »
Who were the other four.
I shall have a word with my friend again, to her a few hundred is a lot of cash.
No idea, who they were. And I have to stress how fleeting it was!
There's a huge amount to getting it right. Good cover is an easy one to sort. Get reviews, lots of reviews, and with Amazon's T&C.  Write more. Build up good relationships with other authors - loads of us know how lucky we were with established authors helping us at the start and pay back how we can. Lots of other things. But the biggest is - be lucky.

Tahnks, she is an Oxford graduate, and a Cambridge graduate.  Some people are just greedy when it comes to education, but she did pay cash for both of them as she is foreign.
I'm only Cambridge (BA, MSci, MA) but my partner's both (BA Cantab, DPhil Oxon).
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 09:43:23, 10/04/20 »
I would love to make it free while the lockdown exists but am constrained by Amazon rules.
I guess you are in KDP Select and using your free days? How long left on your term?
Once you can get out of it, you can publish wide, set price to free on other channels then get Amazon to price match. Sorry if that's teaching you to suck eggs.

Apache

• Account Closed
« Reply #40 on: 18:40:35, 10/04/20 »
Unfortunately out of print but I highly rate One Man and His Bog by Barry Pilton as a very funny read.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&an=&tn=one+man+and+his+bog&kn=&isbn=

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 19:00:20, 10/04/20 »
I have a copy which I re-read every few years, must get it down again.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 14:26:38, 11/04/20 »
Quite old now and hard to find,

"The man who walked through time". The story of walking through the Grand Canyon.
"The Thousand mile summer". A walk through California before the Pacific crest trail had been thought about.
Both by Colin Fletcher. 

"Cape to Cape" by John Sutcliffe. A walk from Cape Cornwall to Cape Wrath by a 70 year old.

As has already been mentioned the mountain travel and sailing books of H.W. Tilman and the books of Eric Shipton.

"An Arctic Odyssey", Richard Sale and Tony Oliver.

"Mountain days and Bothy nights" and the follow on "A view from the ridge". Both by Dave Brown and Ian Mitchell. 

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 15:14:37, 11/04/20 »
"Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson would be an interesting choice in the Andes.
Keep it to hand, or not.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 15:18:11, 11/04/20 »
"Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson would be an interesting choice in the Andes.
Keep it to hand, or not.

I was in the Cordillera Blanca 80km north of them when that happened.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy