Author Topic: An apology given to the two women fined for going for a walk  (Read 3343 times)

Jac

• Veteran Member

That one really is a dead duck.
Do you mean the 1hr myth or the minister? ;)

But if numpty interviewers didn't go asking the same old stuff then ministers wouldn't be having to say these things. Just ignore it.
I try to but when someone in his position is asked sensible questions mis-quotes the rules and has to be corrected by the interviewer I do despair.
Now switched to R3 for respite O0 

PS please can I have the receipt for Artichoke milkshake, Pleb ;D

« Last Edit: 13:43:37, 12/01/21 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

jimbob

• Veteran Member

Taxman after you for proof of claimed expenses?  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
Too little, too late, too bad......

Jac

• Veteran Member
[/size]Taxman after you for proof of claimed expenses?  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Oh [censored]. ;D  recipe! ;D
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

jimbob

• Veteran Member

Oh [censored]. ;D  recipe! ;D
It's that blinking smell checker, ......

Skip

• Veteran Member
. . .  the PM was seen cycling 7 miles from his home . . .

One rule for them, another rule for us. Again.

To rub it in, the prime minister expressed concern that too many people were in the Olympic Park on Sunday - yet he was one of them!

Please note: this post is intended as light hearted banter.  ;)
Skip

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
You need to read the rules and guidance properly folks, there is no mileage mentioned in any of the guidance.
"The list of reasons you can leave your home and area include, but are not limited to:
outdoor exercise. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)"
The exceptions is specifically 'within your area' and the paragraph before states:
"If you need to travel you should stay local – meaning avoiding travelling outside of your village, town or the part of a city where you live – and look to reduce the number of journeys you make overall."

Problem is the lack of mileage/firm way of telling. Its not been so bad this time, but in the first lockdown I got really fed up of cyclists travelling 30-odd miles and saying 'but that's nothing for a cyclist. You know what, 100 miles is nothing for a car driver, but that's not the point. The point is not to spread from one area to the next.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

pleb

• Veteran Member
Boris has been cycling in a park seven miles from his home. So you can travel at least seven miles before starting a walk.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

fernman

• Veteran Member
Met police chief Cressida Dick has today called for more clarity on the exercise rule, while minister Kit Malthouse has admitted that the stay local instruction is "open to interpretation".

Hopefully something might result from this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/12/stay-local-england-exercise-rule-open-to-interpretation-minister-admits-coronavirus

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Since this current lockdown began I have driven once to meet another person for a walk. I drove 7 miles from my home to Ham Hill country park. I was intending this week to drive 9 miles to meet someone and walk but have now decided not to go and to only walk from home.
I do not believe that driving those distances on my own adds to the risk of catching and spreading the virus in fact to the contrary I think it is far safer to drive to a more remote area than it is to start a walk from a built up area.
I have decided not to drive because I do not want the opinion of a ill informed police officer to cost me £200.
It's all uphill from here.

cornwallcoastpathdweller

Since this current lockdown began I have driven once to meet another person for a walk. I drove 7 miles from my home to Ham Hill country park. I was intending this week to drive 9 miles to meet someone and walk but have now decided not to go and to only walk from home.
I do not believe that driving those distances on my own adds to the risk of catching and spreading the virus in fact to the contrary I think it is far safer to drive to a more remote area than it is to start a walk from a built up area.
I have decided not to drive because I do not want the opinion of a ill informed police officer to cost me £200.

What it needs is for somebody to challenge a fine in court and rectify the situation. 
The rules are ambiguos and 'local' isnt defined clearly.  The law likes clarity.  This is the real reason that Derbyshire Police backed down with the two ladies they fined.  Those two individuals were prepared to force a legal decision and had backing from MP's and lawyers and lots of publicity etc. 
The Police would have lost the case and then a precedent would have been set they didnt want as it would open the floodgates for travel.
Relying on individuals, policemen or not, own personal slant of any rule just leads to a mess.  I mean, describing a coffee as a picnic - just ridiculous.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

fernman

• Veteran Member

What I imagine the police would tell you is that if your car broke down or you had an accident away from home, you would then require the assistance of emergency services.
Suppose you are an asymptomatic carrier, and someone has to get in your car.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
What I imagine the police would tell you is that if your car broke down or you had an accident away from home, you would then require the assistance of emergency services.
Suppose you are an asymptomatic carrier, and someone has to get in your car.
I could be an asymptomatic carrier walking through my town centre to start a local walk.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
But as an asymptomatic hopefully you are abiding by the 2 metre rule?
Or wearing a mask if you can't. As per the law.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
In busy streets it can difficult to maintain 2 metres distancing as people walk up behind you to within that distance and push past. You cannot see all round you to take avoiding action all the time hence my original point about it being less risky to drive to a start point. The odds of breaking down or being in an accident are far less, i would have thought, than the odds of being infected in a busy pedestrian area.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member

What it needs is for somebody to challenge a fine in court and rectify the situation. 
The rules are ambiguos and 'local' isnt defined clearly.  The law likes clarity.  This is the real reason that Derbyshire Police backed down with the two ladies they fined.  Those two individuals were prepared to force a legal decision and had backing from MP's and lawyers and lots of publicity etc. 
The Police would have lost the case and then a precedent would have been set they didnt want as it would open the floodgates for travel.
Relying on individuals, policemen or not, own personal slant of any rule just leads to a mess.  I mean, describing a coffee as a picnic - just ridiculous.

The problem is that anything that happens in a magistrate's court doesn't set any legal precedents. So it would have to get to a crown court and even then it may not set a precedent.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy