Author Topic: Keep left or keep right?  (Read 2754 times)

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Keep left or keep right?
« Reply #30 on: 18:10:41, 21/03/21 »
If I was a cyclist I would put a foghorn on the handlebar.
The reason, I might come across a walker just like me. I truly daydream when walking and my hearing is not the best.
I am often shocked back into the real world by cyclists, other walkers,  sheep, cattle and probably worst of all once a very friendly horse probably used to getting mints off other walkers.

As Richard said be tolerant, there are all sorts of reasons for problems in this respect, not all the fault of cyclists. (Actually not all the fault of my gormless behaviour either)

Same here, in fact not only do I have poor hearing but also suffer from tinnitus, so often have earphones in with music on, which will then make me "daydream" all the more.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 19:03:00, 21/03/21 »
Wow, I set something off there. I did try to convey, through starting with an apology, that it was a personal and uncontrollable reaction. I do know the guidance about the bell and know why some people would like it.
Having said that, my personal action when coming up on someone slower from behind is not to speed past them. I slow down and wait for them, creeping past when I see they have clocked my presence. That seems to me to be the polite thing to do. But I recognise that is not the only way to do it.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Roburite

« Reply #32 on: 11:34:46, 23/03/21 »
I too am a walker and cyclist and live close to a long distance shared route from the North coast of Devon into Devon profonde (the Tarka Trail). I use the trail in both modes and, unfortunately, when walking find that cyclists can be annoying and when cycling find that walkers can be annoying. My cycling group think that on the whole conflicts can be avoided by the good use of the cycle bell and will be sponsoring some signs to try to get the message across. The key is to use the bell in plenty of time. A group of walkers going in the same direction as a cyclist don't hear a silent bicycle. They need to hear the bell, recognise what it is and have time to move to the side. They can't do that if the cyclist approached to within 3 or 4 yards then rings the bell or shouts out. By this time the cyclist is angry that the walkers havn't made room and the walkers get a shock that angers them. The bell needs to be rung when 30 yards away (maybe more) and don't forget to say "Thank you".

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 13:59:29, 23/03/21 »
Definitely in favour of cyclists ringing a bell to warn us.  The amount of times we’ve said “they need a bell on their bike ..”

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 17:38:33, 23/03/21 »
I'd much rather a cyclist rang their bell than come past me from behind without warning

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 20:23:21, 23/03/21 »
Once upon a time, people used to bimble along whistling a tuneless ditty.  That seems to have fallen out of fashion these days.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 20:27:17, 23/03/21 »
Once upon a time, people used to bimble along whistling a tuneless ditty.  That seems to have fallen out of fashion these days.
Thank goodness for that!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 20:32:01, 23/03/21 »
Not entirely - some us keep up the old traditions, especially in the tuneless department.  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 22:20:47, 23/03/21 »
Today I was walking down a tunnel in a tube station and on the floor facing me were signs saying 'Keep Left' other signs facing those people coming towards me read 'Keep Right'.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 08:06:07, 24/03/21 »
I automatically stand on the right on escalators. It became ingrained in me from going on the Underground when we used to go to London when I was a child.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 08:55:45, 24/03/21 »
I automatically stand on the right on escalators. It became ingrained in me from going on the Underground . . .

Same here. When I was younger I was always one of those fitness freaks trotting up the left hand side but now I'm more frequently the old bloke standing on the right.

But old habits die hard - when I'm outside London I find it very frustrating when people stand side by side blocking the escalator.
Skip

pgt

« Reply #41 on: 09:16:01, 24/03/21 »
I just wanted to add my vote in favour of cyclists ringing their bell to warn me that they are there.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy