Author Topic: The Birds, the birds.  (Read 49502 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: The Birds, the birds.
« Reply #30 on: 18:32:18, 27/04/20 »
We had a pair of bullfinches in the front garden today. It is always good to see them. We have also been seeing goldcrests quite regularly.

GnP

• Veteran Member
Bird bath wars..
« Reply #31 on: 22:03:18, 27/05/20 »

Starlings causing mayhem in the bird bath...mostly fledglings . I have not seen so many starlings in our garden for a few years now. There must have been around fifty at one time  :)
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 23:10:07, 27/05/20 »

Started to put up hanging basket, then this little chap decided to take it apart!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 07:13:04, 28/05/20 »
Great shots of the starlings G&P  O0 There are a lot of starlings that visit my garden too. Starlings look lovely but aren't they the most squawking, squabbling birds ever?

;D @ your hanging basket Dodgylegs. Excellent bird nest material?
Hate will never win

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 07:35:26, 28/05/20 »
So that's where 'my' starlings went GP.
Please could you ask them to come back I really miss them :( one of my favourite birds.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 15:51:07, 28/05/20 »
Great shots of the starlings G&P  O0 There are a lot of starlings that visit my garden too. Starlings look lovely but aren't they the most squawking, squabbling birds ever?

Very noisy indeed. I  grabbed the camera because I could hear all the commotion in the garden. O0

So that's where 'my' starlings went GP.
Please could you ask them to come back I really miss them :( one of my favourite birds.
They are really colourful when you see them close up..

I have told them to go back to where they belong.  :)

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 08:00:52, 29/05/20 »
I have told them to go back to where they belong.  :)

Thank you.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 10:22:04, 29/05/20 »

Hanging baskets have been up all winter, containing Pansies. Just replanted and hey presto this little feller turns up to rip the Lobelia out!

Brilliant photos on here, really enjoying them!

Helped a fledgling Wren, out on a test flight ... straight into net! It could get out, but flew straight back in!!.... Success!!!  :)
« Last Edit: 11:02:50, 29/05/20 by Dodgylegs »

andybr

« Reply #38 on: 10:30:38, 18/06/20 »
I am sure that everybody who tries to photograph wildlife has "bogey" species, relatively common species which you just cannot seem to get a decent shot of. One of mine has always been the Skylark. Yesterday, however, I came across a pair of them walking out of Jugger Howe on the North York Moors and was amazed when they happily let me click away wjthout any signs of being bothered. Not a glamorous bird at all but it made my day.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 11:17:55, 18/06/20 »
I am sure that everybody who tries to photograph wildlife has "bogey" species, relatively common species which you just cannot seem to get a decent shot of. One of mine has always been the Skylark. Yesterday, however, I came across a pair of them walking out of Jugger Howe on the North York Moors and was amazed when they happily let me click away wjthout any signs of being bothered. Not a glamorous bird at all but it made my day.

In can well see why it made your day . !
I love to hear these birds in flight singing away , and have only ever seen them on the ground from a distance . A great photo .  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 11:55:49, 18/06/20 »
When I was a kid, skylarks were a constant part of summer's sound track.  Now you tend to only get to hear them in the wilder places, although I did hear and see one locally a few weeks back - it was sufficiently unusual to remark upon it.
Solvitur Ambulando

andybr

« Reply #41 on: 12:31:56, 18/06/20 »
Skylarks are fairly common along our stretch of the North York's coast but seem very reluctant to have their pictures taken, at least by me. Of our less frequent visitors this year seems to be particularly good for Reed Buntings and Whitethroats.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 13:09:07, 18/06/20 »
I frequently hear skylarks singing when I'm walking on the South Downs  -  the sound of summer    :)

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 13:11:00, 18/06/20 »
I am sure that everybody who tries to photograph wildlife has "bogey" species, relatively common species which you just cannot seem to get a decent shot of. One of mine has always been the Skylark.

Lovely photo.

Yeah my bogey species is grouse, they always disappear making their distinctive call ....

Coming down from Cross Fell into Garrigill I finally met one that 'posed' on top of a wall, just sat there and never flew off....

On a very foggy morning heading to High Cup Nick from Cow Green Reservoir, I went to open a gate and three black Grouse were sitting on top of it.... not for long though!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 18:57:24, 18/06/20 »
My bogey species are golden eagle (I have got good enough shots to distinguish between individuals, but nothing sharp) and goldcrests (these move too fast and hide in the bushes too much). I have managed to get some good shots of white tailed eagles.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy