Author Topic: Cutting daily camping costs?  (Read 4934 times)

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Cutting daily camping costs?
« Reply #30 on: 11:24:27, 06/06/19 »
Which one did you get dank86?

Can you dehydrate things like a curry? We would love to be able to eat a homemade madras or korma when we are out.
O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

dank86

« Reply #31 on: 12:30:04, 06/06/19 »

Can you dehydrate things like a curry? We would love to be able to eat a homemade madras or korma when we are out.

I got a VonShef one from Ebay, and yes itll do curry if you use parchment/baking paper on each tray. I did a pulled lamb in recurrent and juniper sauce with veggies that was amazingly lush. I could hear the stomachs of other campers grumbling when i was cooking it on site  ;D

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575459367&toolid=10001&campid=5338546930&customid=&icep_item=302566394526&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 13:38:22, 06/06/19 »
Thanks dank89  O0

I might get one  :)

Hate will never win

dank86

« Reply #33 on: 13:59:35, 06/06/19 »
Thanks dank89  O0

I might get one  :)

Be warned though, its addictive!

Dried fruits, jerky, fruit leathers, meals, dry your own fresh herbs etc you can always find an excuse to have it running. Got some bread thatll need to be binned soon dehydrate it and make breadcrumbs for cooking!  ;D

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 12:04:51, 07/06/19 »

Just as a follow up to this - dehydrating things is easy once you get into a 'routine', but be prepared to spend a few days doing it when it comes to heavy food like curries.  It seems ideal for making things like dehydrated banana or fruits in general/features for adding to meals, but dehydrating full proper meals takes 15-30 hours of non-stop dehydrating and some of the dehydrating trays on the cheaper models are, shall we say, not destined to be long lasting. 

By far the worst food to dehydrate is anything with a significant amount of fat in it - simple put it goes rather weird during the dehydration process, so if you're cooking curries specifically don't use ghee, use the leanest meat you can get.  Vegetarian curries seem to fare a lot better in that respect, you can then bring a bag of cooked meats specifically to add with it which you cooked the day before your trip - for example. 

If I was doing the whole dehydration route again I'd either find someone with a 'proper' dehydrator to borrow or buy one with a bit of longevity in mind, and commit to putting a few long distance trips in the diary to make that saving more immediate and substantial.  For example the Excalibur Dehydrators are known as one of the best out there for speed/build quality and range from £140-£240 - if I was less inclined to buy one outright then you could get a few mates to pitch in £50-70 each and share it when we want to do a batch of dehydrating it actually becomes quite cheap, dehydrates faster, trays last longer and helps everyone have more access to longer trips outdoors.  Especially since you only ever dehydrate things in bulk batches anyway, throw them in zip bags in the freezer.  It pays for itself for the first long distance trip you do, effectively.

dank86

« Reply #35 on: 12:09:35, 07/06/19 »
I've had the one I linked to running for 3 days doing different things and all the trays are fine, it is a proper dehydrator just not an expensive one that does the same thing.

Yes fatty items don't dehydrate well and can go off quicker than others, but I wasn't going to get in to all the issues you could have. I'd imagine anyone wanting to do it would start their own thread or google.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 13:39:09, 07/06/19 »
By far the worst food to dehydrate is anything with a significant amount of fat in it - simple put it goes rather weird during the dehydration process, so if you're cooking curries specifically don't use ghee, use the leanest meat you can get.  Vegetarian curries seem to fare a lot better in that respect, you can then bring a bag of cooked meats specifically to add with it which you cooked the day before your trip - for example. 

Thanks forgotmyoldpassword  O0

:) I am vegan and I only use a small amount of olive oil or rapeseed oil when I cook, I hate oily food. I normally use chickpeas or butterbeans in the curries I make. Would they dehydrate ok or would it be best to add them?

I'd imagine anyone wanting to do it would start their own thread or google.

I will have a google before I buy one, thanks Dank86  O0

Hate will never win

dank86

« Reply #37 on: 13:47:42, 07/06/19 »
April the beans and chickpeas do dehydrate nicely :) I've got some going ATM I love butter beans, having them for dinner 😁

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 13:51:51, 07/06/19 »
That is good news dank86  :)

Have you tried dehydrating red wine?  ;)  ;D
Hate will never win

dank86

« Reply #39 on: 14:10:42, 07/06/19 »
😂😂 nope but I think I know a way I could!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 17:11:24, 07/06/19 »
😂😂 nope but I think I know a way I could!
  No that is filtering it - it leaves you dehydrated.
Solvitur Ambulando

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 17:12:09, 07/06/19 »
Dehydrated water saves carrying a lot of weight.

Just 2 cylinders - one with hydrogen, one with oxygen.
Put the nozzle of the hydrogen into a poly-bag for 4 seconds, then a quick squirt (2 seconds) of oxygen.
Close the bag and shake well.

Lo & behold, a bag full of H2O

dank86

« Reply #42 on: 17:19:52, 07/06/19 »
  No that is filtering it - it leaves you dehydrated.

;D ;D  true but i think I've formulated a plan to try and see if it works ..

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 17:23:49, 07/06/19 »
Dehydrated water saves carrying a lot of weight.

Just 2 cylinders - one with hydrogen, one with oxygen.
Put the nozzle of the hydrogen into a poly-bag for 4 seconds, then a quick squirt (2 seconds) of oxygen.
Close the bag and shake well.

Lo & behold, a bag full of H2O
I can save you some work and weight here.  Oxygen is present in air so you can save that weight by using feral oxygen.  If you put a match to the bag it will shake itself and the condensation (H32O16ish) can be recovered from what is left of the bag. Eyebrows grow back quite quickly.

Just had a thought.  If you put the food in the bag you can cook it at and serve everybody at the same time.
« Last Edit: 17:29:13, 07/06/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 23:47:12, 10/06/19 »
Personally I'd take all your curry ingredients dried and cook it in a pan it rehydrates as it cooks. I dry loads of vegetables and make a tomato and garlic leather from sauce then add the water with spices pulses ect when I cook. I'm usually hostel and self cater with my own homegrown dried vegetables.
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy