Author Topic: I really need to move!  (Read 2671 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
I really need to move!
« on: 21:31:35, 19/11/20 »

I’ve just been looking through my ViewRanger stats for the past year.  You know, like you do, when you’re really bored and there’s nowt on telly.

Minutes of fun I’ve had filtering by month, by distance, by location, by duration.  But what did make me chuckle was when I was looking at the height gain and it became glaringly obvious why I struggle as soon as I’m faced with any kind of gradient:

;D   :'(

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Re: I really need to move!
« Reply #1 on: 21:37:27, 19/11/20 »
A friend of mine has been using the fire escape to his apartment in Norwich since the Covid outbreak and manages 1000 feet a day.
So Norwich seems like a good move.
It's all uphill from here.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:57:50, 19/11/20 »
Lucky you Mel.

I am trying to rehabilitate an achilles tendon at present - the flattest shortest circular road route out of the door is 3.5 miles and is 190 feet of up and down.  We call it the "Flat Walk"
 Any other circular road walk from my front door over 4 miles long involves at least 350 feet of ascent and every one has at least one hill with a steep hill chevron on the map.  The most convenient walk includes a road with a hill with one chevron and another with a double chevron in less than 5 miles. 

My walk log says we have climbed a conservative 95,000 feet so far this year.  Devon is what you might call well folded!
« Last Edit: 22:04:52, 19/11/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:44:23, 19/11/20 »
Mel, there comes a time in life when you'd rather walk around summits than over them  :(

It's usually accompanied by cutting corners off your circuits  :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:56:56, 19/11/20 »
Feel free to move here Mel.  My evening jog route is 2.5 miles and 500ft ascent door to door. I'll resist posting up this years total, for fear of playing Top Trumps and then loosing to one of the sites octogenarians. ;D

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:13:07, 19/11/20 »
Mel, there comes a time in life when you'd rather walk around summits than over them  :(

It's started all ready.  I headed out for a quite evening walk today.  The plan was to stop on Sharp tor and star gaze for a few hours.  Any way in clouded over just on sun set.  So I headed back early and found myself walking around Stowe hill, instead of over it.  Not sure I recall ever doing that before.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:09:36, 20/11/20 »
The east of Scotland has a few more hills than the east of England Mel. We still have some flat bits if you need an easier walk. Northeast of the A96 looks pretty flat, especially when flying into Aberdeen. There are also some long beaches that are great for walking along. We also have the Cairngorms at the other end of the scale, plus plenty of hills that are a bit less demanding.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:22:40, 20/11/20 »
Move to West Lancashire,  Mel, we've got river embankments which will get your numbers up to at least 75 feet per month.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:55:56, 20/11/20 »

Hills - and mountains - look far more picturesque from below :)

Should a circuit have corners?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:03:55, 20/11/20 »
If you want advice on moving, I can help.  We have done it 28 times.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:30:09, 20/11/20 »
A sure sign of service life.  O0

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:37:03, 20/11/20 »
I think it is the locals driving him out  :D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:00:23, 20/11/20 »
I think it is the locals driving him out  :D
Same thing.  Sometimes the natives were restless, as were some of my bosses.  O0
Solvitur Ambulando

watershed

« Reply #13 on: 12:29:51, 20/11/20 »
I use Viewranger to record all my walks.
It records your ascent and descent of your phone, but can't transfer it to the computer.

It works perfectly for any walks South of 60 degrees North, but as soon as I cross that Latitude it stops recording it on the computer.
I have to then take the figure of my phone and keep it in a written diary.
I have spoken to the View ranger team thinking it was something I was doing wrong, but they say it wasn't viable for them to have the coverage North of 60 degrees.
So if anyone visits here any walks to the North of 60 degrees, you will have to get your heights off your phone rather than the computer.
This screws up your computer yearly totalizer for Ascent/descent.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:36:03, 20/11/20 »
The new incline trainer / treadmill arrived this week and this morning I did my first proper workout. I began with a summit of Mount Maunganui in New Zealand (mostly run, some walk), followed by the second and third stages of the ascent of Mount Baldy in California (mostly walk, some run) plus the descent (mostly run, some walk). 2650ft / 8 miles / 2hr 20m - all without leaving home.  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy