Author Topic: Are you making your own face masks or anything else?  (Read 4237 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Are you making your own face masks or anything else?
« Reply #30 on: 14:49:21, 30/04/20 »
There was an interview on BBC telly yesterday saying that "a mask" per se, wasn't necessary and that anything could be used as a face covering ( * buff, handkerchief, etc. ).  She also said that the idea of a mask/face covering was to stop you (the wearer) spreading your potentially contaminated breath particles (coughing, sneezing or just breathing/talking, laughing) to the air rather than preventing anyone else's from getting into your lungs.

* So.... gimp mask, anyone?

Sorry, I should have clarified.  The BBC interview was the daily morning questions/answers slot where a relevant (non BBC) professional addresses questions sent into the BBC by viewers.

The emphasis by this lady (healthcare professional) was on damping down the distance/spread of potentially infected particles in more confined spaces (shops and public transport were used as examples) where social distancing isn’t as easy to maintain, eg. people are moving slower/stationary.

It focussed on the Joe Public “breath-outer” damping down their own breath – basically taking ownership / responsibility for reducing YOUR OWN potential spreading of the virus.

We have no control over other people’s actions but we do have control over our own.

I’ve also edited the list of breath-out reasons to include laughing (which is still allowed). 

Edit:  For those of you who want a laugh/inspiration of "alternative" face coverings, have a look at this topic  :D  :

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96808

Proving that you can take this pandemic seriously and retain a sense of humour  O0

« Last Edit: 14:53:19, 30/04/20 by Mel »

mountaingal

« Reply #31 on: 14:55:52, 30/04/20 »
There was an interview on BBC telly yesterday saying that "a mask" per se, wasn't necessary and that anything could be used as a face covering ( * buff, handkerchief, etc. ).  She also said that the idea of a mask/face covering was to stop you (the wearer) spreading your potentially contaminated breath particles (coughing, sneezing or just breathing/talking) to the air rather than preventing anyone else's from getting into your lungs.

* So.... gimp mask, anyone?

That's the idea all along. If you watched the same one as I did..this MP/GP said 'I wear to protect you and you wear to protect me'. Yet people have been debating if a mask protect ME. That's a self centered idea :( . For it to work, everybody should wear to stop anybody's virus getting into the air. If you are unfortunate to be next to somebody in a supermarket or in a train, and if this person suddenly sneezes or cough, (or even talking and spluttering) you'd hope this person wearing a mask instead of everything being dispersed into the air, wouldn't you? I doubt an elbow would cover it enough either.
It's a very stupid idea to think you are safe because you are wearing one and go off guard. I saw a hospital staff in Spain wearing one until she was interviewed, then she took it off to answer the interview! Her saliva would have been spluttering around :o .  Just like washing hands properly, you have to wear it properly and take all other measures. Government and NHS can't tell us to wear one because even NHS can't get one themselves. It's unlikely for UK gov to make it compulsory because government can't provide ones to us like some other countries do. Everybody should do own bit by staying at home, keep 2 meters away and wear a mask (now you have to call it a face covering :P )
By the way, at last, the international post from my sister arrived. Took almost a month instead of normal 3-5 days.  Now I've got the material and a template and made a couple of 3D ones  ;) 
I'm glad I'm not walking in Hyde park / St James park. There are too many people walking, jogging and cycling. Impossible to stay away from each other :o
« Last Edit: 15:06:50, 30/04/20 by mountaingal »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 14:58:46, 30/04/20 »
The problem, especially with improvised masks, is that they are not great at retaining exhaled virons.  They will catch the larger droplets from a cough or sneeze but the over pressure blows the smaller droplets out through the mask or round the sides and subsequent breaths may blow out more, as the pore size is too large and the seal is inadequate.  There is some reduction in aerosol, but not a lot.  This is the basis for the debate.  Wearing improvised masks tempts people into reducing their social distancing and/or outing frequency but their masks are only marginally effective.
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 15:24:23, 30/04/20 »

I’ve also edited the list of breath-out reasons to include laughing (which is still allowed). 
Edit:  For those of you who want a laugh/inspiration of "alternative" face coverings, have a look at this topic  :D  :
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96808
Proving that you can take this pandemic seriously and retain a sense of humour  O0

Love Charles T's mask on the walkhighlands forum, Mel. Perhaps we should all get one for the next forum meet.  I think Gunwharfman may like the hat too - he's been looking for one.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 15:43:13, 30/04/20 »

Love Charles T's mask on the walkhighlands forum, Mel. Perhaps we should all get one for the next forum meet.  I think Gunwharfman may like the hat too - he's been looking for one.
Apparently the Norfolk Police are already looking for him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=facGGkwikLA
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 15:51:12, 30/04/20 »
Apparently the Norfolk Police are already looking for him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=facGGkwikLA

Looks quite smart.  Might get in the way on steep descents?  Also may prove troublesome when eating cake, so Mel won't be getting one. ;D

Toxicbunny

« Reply #36 on: 16:29:13, 30/04/20 »
I made mine but have some disposables as well. I use them when entering shops or when I have to make contact with a client. I am still convinced that the reason why our Government is not advising us to wear them is that they 'forgot' to put an order in and are desperate not to be found out! I worked for the NHS for years and was always given face when we had 'bugs and virus' flying around. I never once to my knowledge caught anything so I was either just lucky or they did work? For me, the issue today is not whether they are medically useful or not, they help psychologically, and they are worn extensively in those countries that are enjoying the best success rates as well.
Totally agree. There was a woman 2m in front of me vaping I had my mask on  in the queue. Some may think they dont help but personally I think they do. I wont go to any shop without one. Anything covering around your mouth and nose is better than just breathing in someone elses coughed virus germs.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 16:53:01, 30/04/20 »
...  and they are worn extensively in those countries that are enjoying the best success rates as well.
  Er no.  Started and spread in China, Japan has declared a state of emergency - both mask wearing cultures.  Masks were worn extensively in Italy - how did they do?   Germany only introduced them after the rate of infection had already fallen.  Austria likewise.   NZ and Australia are the leaders in elimination of the disease - neither used masks.

If it was that clear cut there would not be a debate. 
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 17:01:17, 30/04/20 »
Totally agree. There was a woman 2m in front of me vaping I had my mask on  in the queue. Some may think they dont help but personally I think they do. I wont go to any shop without one. Anything covering around your mouth and nose is better than just breathing in someone elses coughed virus germs.
You stood 2m from a person who was vaping - that is what you are supposed to do.  2m is supposed to be the safe distance - it is only 1.5 m in NZ and they have virtually eliminated it.  Incidentally, there viruses and there are germs and germs can be infected by viruses but there is no such thing as a virus germ.
Solvitur Ambulando

Toxicbunny

« Reply #39 on: 17:10:02, 30/04/20 »
You stood 2m from a person who was vaping - that is what you are supposed to do.  2m is supposed to be the safe distance - it is only 1.5 m in NZ and they have virtually eliminated it.  Incidentally, there viruses and there are germs and germs can be infected by viruses but there is no such thing as a virus germ.
I'm well aware 2M is considered the safe distance however some believe it should be a larger distance. If someone is vaping and it's a windy day logic tells you those vapours in and out of lungs can carry further. As far as I'm concerned and the terminology I use its germs whether it's a virus or not its contagious hence why I wear a mask in public to my shops.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 17:20:07, 30/04/20 »
I'm well aware 2M is considered the safe distance however some believe it should be a larger distance. If someone is vaping and it's a windy day logic tells you those vapours in and out of lungs can carry further. As far as I'm concerned and the terminology I use its germs whether it's a virus or not its contagious hence why I wear a mask in public to my shops.
The wind will also cause more mixing thereby diluting the virons.  Look up viral load.
2m is accepted by competent authorities as a safe distance.  As I said, NZ succeeded at 1.5m - their new case count has been in single figures for nearly 2 weeks and the do not insist on masks.  The key is maintaining social distance and good hygiene.

https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/germ
« Last Edit: 17:37:11, 30/04/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Toxicbunny

« Reply #41 on: 17:42:24, 30/04/20 »
The wind will also cause more mixing thereby diluting the virons.  Look up viral load.
2m is accepted by competent authorities as a safe distance.  As I said, NZ succeeded at 1.5m - their new case count has been in single figures for nearly 2 weeks and the do not insist on masks.  The key is maintaining social distance and good hygiene.
New Zealand is a different country they have handled the situation differently to the UK as has Australia.  I dont live in NZ so it's of little interest to me whether they wear masks or not. There is far higher infection and death rate in the UK. It's down to my personal choice to wear a mask to protect myself and family. The wind may well dilute virons however that does not necessarily mean you will get a milder form if you were to catch it.  Wearing a mask in areas where lots of people are for example supermarkets and shops where others take no heed of social distances is the safe thing to do.
The  NHS staff wear masks so they dont catch it. I will continue to do so. If you dont want to wear a mask then you dont have to. PPE in many buisnesses has been issued not just the NHS.  I'm not a virologist and I don't think qualified virolgists even known fully about this virus nor pandemic yet.
Boris discussed sage tonight on the BBC broadcast and face coverings tonight on his  broadcast personally I think they will advise people to wear them. It will be discussed by him more next week in phase two.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 18:09:39, 30/04/20 »
By all means wear a mask - I do not and never did have a problem with that.  Watch the programme I linked to in and be aware it is not the panacea that you seem to suggest or even close.  Here is the link again and bear in mind the trial in Hong Kong referred is for correctly worn surgical masks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93rcPkFkZc 
If you wear a mask you need to be well informed of its limitations and how to use it to best effect to keep you and other people safe.
In other posts I have previously inked to another study relating specifically to improvised masks which described them as better than nothing, but not much.
The results from NZ and Australia should interest you.  They show what can be done by effective social distancing, prompt government action and the benefits of tracking and tracing.  If that does not convince you, have a look at the international data published on https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/. There you can compare and contrast nations for yourself.  Have a look at the nations that have introduced mandatory masking and see if you can spot the effect in any of the graphs following the point when it was introduced.
Finally, at the Dowining St briefing today, the scientific evidence in favour of mandatory masking was again described as weak and any benefits were more likely to be psychological rather actual.
The rate of infection can only be reduced by rigorous social distancing, meticulous hygiene, tracking and tracing and isolation of cases.

Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 18:23:46, 30/04/20 »
Whatever the evidence I suspect that the political message will be for us to wear masks as a routine very soon. Other parties like the SNP seem to be nudging the UK Government in this direction, which I think perhaps is designed to make it appear that Mr. Johnson's crew are following events rather than leading from the front? In the area where I live most people seem to be wearing masks already.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 18:44:00, 30/04/20 »

I actually went for a walk round Beverley with a guy who was wearing one of those masks on (don't ask)  :D

...Also may prove troublesome when eating cake, so Mel won't be getting one. ;D

Oi  >:(  (but so true  ;D  )

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy