Author Topic: Anyone bought from the EU post Brexit?  (Read 4329 times)

Sevenup

Re: Anyone bought from the EU post Brexit?
« Reply #15 on: 11:40:34, 11/01/21 »
I see Patagonia is writing to customers explaining problems with delivery from their distribution facility in the Netherlands to the U.K. DPD &DHL have suspended deliveries to the U.K. because of the border challenges. Road Hauliers Association and Michael Gove expect this week and next to be the worst at Dover  as traffic begins to return to normal.

addyeddy

« Reply #16 on: 11:42:14, 11/01/21 »
I've sent an email to Trekinn this morning who do appear to be shipping to the UK at least, but they state their prices include the 20% VAT for the UK, but I'm assuming I'd still have to pay a further 20% VAT when they arrive in the UK?

All, very confusing.

As I was typing this, got a very vague response, yes they still shop to the UK, but no further details as to potential cost implications.

Sevenup

« Reply #17 on: 11:44:59, 11/01/21 »
It may be that they have registered to collect tax on behalf of the U.K. govt. if not then it’s likely that you’ll need to pay to clear the goods from your delivery agent including fees, vat and, if over £135, import tax of some sort. I fear bargains from the continent are going to disappear.

addyeddy

« Reply #18 on: 11:47:31, 11/01/21 »
Seeing as I can't actually go far at the moment (!), I think I'll wait to see if there's any clarification in the coming weeks/months before I order anything!

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 12:33:17, 11/01/21 »
I'm happy I still have two pairs of brand new Meindl boots, bought last year.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:49:03, 11/01/21 »
Today I had something which I had ordered from Germany (not walking related) cancelled as to send it to me they would have to register for VAT and it isn't worth their while.
What did annoy me is that they have a completely English website with a .co.uk address and have had my money for 2 weeks before cancelling the order and refunding me.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 06:18:03, 12/01/21 »
Today I had something which I had ordered from Germany (not walking related) cancelled as to send it to me they would have to register for VAT and it isn't worth their while.
What did annoy me is that they have a completely English website with a .co.uk address and have had my money for 2 weeks before cancelling the order and refunding me.

I suppose to be fair they might have been caught out by their usual parcel carrier suspending operations, and only realised fairly late on they could not get goods to you on time.

Some stuff on BBC site today about lorry drivers packed lunches being confiscated at Dutch border if their sandwiches contained meat...this sort of stuff is disappointing.

addyeddy

« Reply #22 on: 06:29:45, 12/01/21 »
I saw a CD I've been after for quite a while on ebay, the seller is in Germany, and he was quite happy to sell to me, I checked in advance.

I'm intrigued to see how much they'll charge me on a £25 (plus £5 p and p) CD.

Or will the backlog of packages mean they may not bother with a CD?

Interesting times.

Sevenup

« Reply #23 on: 06:37:09, 12/01/21 »
I will be interested to learn what happens.
I recall in my youth sending gifts to penpals in Germany and being required to fill out a customs declaration form. That’s the new way. My concern centres around the governments removal of tax free shopping and the exemption for low value goods imported. Until 31 December any item under £15 (?) sailed straight though. Now any item is likely to have a charge attached to it by your local post office well as any vat that’s applied.

addyeddy

« Reply #24 on: 06:40:33, 12/01/21 »
Yes I am expecting £6 VAT, and the Post Office £8 handling fee, will update here when received.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 12:32:03, 12/01/21 »
Deleted as could be construed as political.
« Last Edit: 12:40:44, 12/01/21 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 12:32:54, 12/01/21 »
deleted  -not getting involved in yet another political thread. This is not the place.
« Last Edit: 12:36:33, 12/01/21 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 13:17:25, 12/01/21 »
Yes, this is a hard thread not to show your political allegiances in.

I've had another parcel from Germany, bought on ebay, returned to the sender. According to DHL it never left Germany. So far no one can tell me why this has happened.

Sevenup

« Reply #28 on: 14:49:03, 12/01/21 »
deleted  -not getting involved in yet another political thread. This is not the place.

I’m struggling to see what is political about the new arrangements that have arisen because of the new trade agreement. The new rules either exist or they don’t.

I have bought many things from Europe in the past including a car which I picked up in Dublin. Organisations such as Trekkit and a few others have created U.K. accounts that have offered discounted prices in the uk but delivered from somewhere on the continent. I am curious (and I might not be alone) to see how the new system will operate in practice. I have stopped buying goods from eBay where the supplier is identified as being in Hong Kong or mainland China.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 15:34:29, 12/01/21 »
Why pick on Hong Kong and Mainland China, our import rules have not changed with them, have they?

We all knew that the EU would keep their rules on imports, /exports. We knew what that meant as, for decades, those same rules were applied to imports into this country from sources external to the EU. 

Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy