Author Topic: Pass From Glen Etive to Glencoe  (Read 7404 times)

davsco

Pass From Glen Etive to Glencoe
« on: 23:27:44, 19/03/08 »
hi..

does anyone know of a walk between glen etive and glencoe..  (apart from the long road route..)  is there a pass through the mountains..  roughly between dalness (glen etive) and the clachaig (glencoe)..

if you have any coordinates that would be great too..!

thanks.. dav

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Pass From Glen Etive to Glencoe
« Reply #1 on: 00:23:20, 20/03/08 »
There are 3 passes between Glen Etive and Glencoe.  None of the routes are very handy for the Clachaig.
These are:
1) Lairig Eilde - between  Dalness and The Study at the head of  Glencoe proper - from NN171514 to NN187563. Ive not done this route, so I dont know what its like, but it appears to be very straightforward on the map.
2) Lairig  Gartain from NN171514 to NN213560. This has some quite steep places with some mild scrambling after about 1km and is then easily followed to the summit of the pass. The descent to Glencoe is a bit boggy in places but otherwise is pefectly straightforward and the path is joined by a descent route from Buachaille Etive More which makes it a  bit boggier. 
3) Minor road from NN171514 to 246550. Very easy  walking on tarmac. (But you dont want to do this!)

To get to Clachaig from Dalness more directly, the options seem to be  either a high level mountain route  over Bidean nam Bian or a route  joining Gleann  Fhaollainn with  Fiionn Ghleann. - Or a walk through  Bealach Fhionnghail, which is the one I think I'd go for. NN131523 - contour NW at the North end of this route to avoid a problematic river crossing.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

davsco

« Reply #2 on: 00:34:09, 20/03/08 »
thanks for your response..  i'll take a good look at them all on the map..

nice one cheers!

Mairi

« Reply #3 on: 06:14:02, 20/03/08 »
That road through Glen Etive is haunted or something. On a dark winter's day it can raise the hairs on the back of your neck- I couldn't wait to get out of there. :o

davsco

« Reply #4 on: 00:05:51, 21/03/08 »
really..?  i camp down glen etive few times a year.. love it..  some great camping spots 'n the walking is superb..

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:12:25, 07/04/08 »
The most staightforward route is the Lairig Eilde. It runs from Dalness in Glen Etive up between Ben Fhada and Buachaille Etive Beag to the Coffin Cairn... By the main road through Glencoe just above the gorge and waterfalls at the Meeting of the Waters. No navigational difficulties but sometimes it can be awkward to cross the river after heavy rain.The path is in pretty good nick and takes about 2 hours 30 mins. Apparently it was used as a corpse road from the churchless Glen Etive to the Burial island in Loch Leven at the mouth of Glencoe. The cairn marks the place where the bearers would change shifts so to speak.

The Larig Gartain (glen of the sheep ticks!) runs from Dalness in between the 2 Buachailles and meets the main road higher up the glen but is astonishingly boggy going!

You can make a nice circuit of "The 2 Lairigs" from either Dalness or the Coffin Cairn car park (the new one just above the gorge) Gaiters useful!

Ian

www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy