Author Topic: Bridgewater Way, Manchester & TP Trail  (Read 880 times)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Bridgewater Way, Manchester & TP Trail
« on: 12:14:23, 25/03/21 »
Another Covid restricted day walk from the door, here are a few pictures from one of our regular walks into Manchester, good for distance at 22.3 miles but very little ascent to provide any significant training for hill and mountain walks. Just a handful of contours at the end at a gentle angle made me realize the effect of over a year in the flatlands!.

The first welcome signs of Spring greenery were in evidence on the Bridgewater Way towpath and Carrington woods on the southern sections.

On the northern urban section, skyscraper construction continues apace in Manchester with several new giants nearing completion. Many more major redevelopments are underway dotted around the city.

Full report & photos

Zizag

• Veteran Member
Re: Bridgewater Way, Manchester & TP Trail
« Reply #1 on: 17:22:36, 25/03/21 »
Lovely photos with vivid colours
And you had a nice dry day out
And good mileage covered .
I always find canal towpath and rivers tranquil places to walk always find something Interesting to watch whilst passing the time away .

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:02:32, 26/03/21 »
Thanks zz, a varied route with plenty of interest even in the urban parts.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:36:35, 26/03/21 »
A really nice set of images and athough an urban walk looks to be so varied . It is great to be close to any water .

I do like that extremely colourful Rest In Peace shot,  I wonder who it relates to.

I know what you mean about walking on flat land . Any hill , even a small one can become a nice challenge .. :)

Kudos for that distance too .!  O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:07:00, 26/03/21 »
Look an interesting walk - a right old mix of scenery to keep the interest up.  Probably a marmite thing but I really like the graffiti under the bridges.

snaderson

« Reply #5 on: 08:07:31, 26/03/21 »
Nice pictures of places I know well. But you didn't go visit the trig point on Carrington Moss? Shame  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:07:38, 26/03/21 »
Cracking set of photos there, vg. There's something special about walking along a canal towpath, the proximity of all that placid water is good for the soul.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:08:16, 26/03/21 »
Look an interesting walk - a right old mix of scenery to keep the interest up.  Probably a marmite thing but I really like the graffiti under the bridges.

I too like the graffiti. When it is that good, it is art.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:19:55, 26/03/21 »
All that canal mileage and not a single mega-ship jammed across the waterway? No tugs, no diggers, no desert?  ;)

Mcr has invested to bring office development to the city just when demand is falling as more and more office workers switch to working from home.

Excellent photos and TR VG - thanks
Skip

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:33:44, 26/03/21 »
A really nice set of images and athough an urban walk looks to be so varied . It is great to be close to any water.
I do like that extremely colourful Rest In Peace shot,  I wonder who it relates to.
I know what you mean about walking on flat land . Any hill , even a small one can become a nice challenge .. :)
Kudos for that distance too.!

Thanks GaP, that's one of the best, I don't mind those. Distance is all we have here for exercise, that final neglgible ascent made me quite concerned about my breathing.

Nice pictures of places I know well. But you didn't go visit the trig point on Carrington Moss?

We visited that oddball trig point on the Sinderland & Carrington Moss walk last year, apparently painted red for the nearby MUFC training grounds. Good local walking.

Cracking set of photos there... I too like the graffiti. When it is that good, it is art.

Thanks pdstp & Richard. Those under-bridge ones are among the best and a few new ones have appeared recently, including a fine black-and-white painting of Marcus Rashford. One small old painting that appears several times, not quite as well done, is a motif of a kiwi on a parachute. I think I passed it at least twice before I recognized it, the penny dropped and I got the joke.

All that canal mileage and not a single mega-ship jammed across the waterway? No tugs, no diggers, no desert?  ;)

Mcr has invested to bring office development to the city just when demand is falling as more and more office workers switch to working from home.
Excellent photos and TR

Thanks skip, it's all quite genteel hereabouts with just well kept narrowboats.
I was wondering the same about all these skyscrapers going up just when home working is increasing, plus a plethora of other extensive developments amid a sea of cranes and more in the pipeline.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:53:16, 26/03/21 »
Just read this then realised I wasn't logged in to reply!

Smashing set of pics  O0

I was salivating at the gradient on that canal sliproad/path in the pic taken from Throstles Nest footbridge  :D

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:02:12, 26/03/21 »
Thanks Mel. Yes, an actual slope, the sudden change in muscle use and cadence makes it seem almost like a real climb.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy