Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573201 times)

Dread

Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2760 on: 08:55:38, 29/10/19 »
Most of the beaches in Northumberland are still covered in mines from the war. I wouldn't risk it. And there's wolves. Hungry ones!

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2761 on: 09:06:55, 29/10/19 »
I went out with Strider and photonut to Tarn Crag and Sergeant Man on Sunday. I had fun. I don't think any of us can be bothered to do a TR though so I'll just say it was an OK ascent but a fairly difficult (for me) descent due to a scrambley bit that photonut bounded up and down as if it were a path and Strider gave me tips descending. There were a couple of other hands and feet in use over rock bits too. Should have photographed it really but hey go. GPX trace here. They were really nice guys couldn't have asked for better company. Here's my favourite view of the day:

Here's Strider rebuilding the cairn on top of Tarn Crag as someone had destroyed it:

Here's photonut on top of Sergeant Man. I don't think Strider wanted his picture taken this time as he turned away from the photo!

There's no photos of me from the day.

This is as close to a TR as we're probably going to get. We're going out again November 17th to do Loughrigg and Silver How so if you want to come along the thread is here. Cheers!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2762 on: 12:17:05, 29/10/19 »
Nice couple of pics Rob.  Glad you had a good day and enjoyed your little scrambling experience  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2763 on: 12:29:57, 29/10/19 »
Most of the beaches in Northumberland are still covered in mines from the war. I wouldn't risk it. And there's wolves. Hungry ones!

Thanks I had forgotten to mention that. In fact the whole of Northumberland has the same problem  ;)
Hate will never win

Hadrian

« Reply #2764 on: 12:35:47, 29/10/19 »

Thanks I had forgotten to mention that. In fact the whole of Northumberland has the same problem  ;)

...and the food’s terrible  ;)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2765 on: 19:39:22, 29/10/19 »
The Scottish beaches are beautiful, but beware of the Scotsman (or woman)  :-\  As for the food, you can have whatever you like..... as long as it is dipped in batter and deep fried (Mars bar, Bounty, pineapple, mush peas, sausages, various puddings and even pizza).  :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2766 on: 20:10:24, 29/10/19 »
I think you will find that the best UK beaches are in Scotland: Luskentyre, Mellon Udrigle, St Cyrus, Firemore are a few well worth walking.

Northumberland is safe.
I beg to disagree sir.  Cornwall and the isles of Scilly have some breathtaking beaches.  O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2767 on: 14:17:16, 30/10/19 »
...and the foods terrible.

Not for me, the worst 'food' for me was in Wales. I asked for a poached egg on toast, the egg was fine, but I objected to the jet black toast. I then asked for a black coffee, but the lady behind the counter obviously didn't believe me and asked if I wanted milk with it. I said "no thank you' so she sprayed cream from a large unlabeled grey can onto it, which of course then instantly dissolved. I asked her if that was now a black coffee, she said yes but she thought that I might like some cream on it. I looked at my 'black' coffee asked her where's the cream gone, that stumped her!

We started again and I got my black coffee, never did get any light brown toast though.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2768 on: 18:36:18, 02/11/19 »
Walked up Angletarn Pikes and Brock Crags.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2769 on: 18:43:25, 02/11/19 »
Lovely route that Rob.  I've just been Photonutted, he has walked the very legs off me on a jaunt from Wasdale Head. He's like a bouncy mountain goat.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2770 on: 18:55:40, 02/11/19 »
Lovely route that Rob.  I've just been Photonutted, he has walked the very legs off me on a jaunt from Wasdale Head. He's like a bouncy mountain goat.

Haha I think he slowed down for me and Strider, I'm not too bad at keeping up with him going uphill though I don't know how much slower he was going than normal. Downhill forget about it, I can't even begin to keep up with him!

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2771 on: 18:56:10, 02/11/19 »
Bet Brock Crags was wet?

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2772 on: 19:11:52, 02/11/19 »
Bet Brock Crags was wet?

It was a bit yeah! The chap I was walking with got water in his boot! The boggy section wasn't that long though.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2773 on: 19:18:20, 02/11/19 »
Yes, it depends on the approach. But I always end up a bit damp . Hope you got a view,, we did after 2, but it was a great day, we passed 4 people in 7 hours, think everyone was watching the rugby.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2774 on: 21:21:20, 02/11/19 »
Headed east and climbed a cloud topped Ingleborough from Ingleton, an energetic 8.5 miles. Good to be back in cave country.

....and good to be back in Bernie's Cafe :)

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy