Author Topic: Summit Slugs & Hiking Etiquette  (Read 17128 times)

beefy

• Veteran Member
Summit Slugs & Hiking Etiquette
« on: 12:48:01, 12/04/17 »
personally i have no problem with sharing the great outdoors with others,
whether that be other walkers, bikers, horse riders, off road vehicles, or anyone else, as long as everyone is respectful of each other its fine,
however,
one thing does irritate me...
this guy sums it up very well, click on the link... :)

http://sdbwanderings.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/summit-hogs-hiking-etiquette.html

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Summit Slugs & Hiking Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: 13:00:15, 12/04/17 »
 :)

You forgot people who feel the need to shout and scream at each other and you can hear them a mile away  :D
Hate will never win

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:26:30, 12/04/17 »
I agree totally  O0  damned inconsiderate some people  >:(
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:13:27, 12/04/17 »
Seems like making a mountain out of a mole hill to me.  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:59:18, 12/04/17 »
Absolutely agree, ignorant people unconcerned or even aware that others may want to 'share' a brief moment at the summit. Another thing is those who sit or stand on the summit cairn for a photo, thereby destroying it. The Kidsty Pike Cairn being a prime example. Coast to coasters and others no doubt to blame, why can't they simply stand next to it!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:40:30, 12/04/17 »
Yes, the guy sums it up absolutely perfectly (and thanks for the link to a blog previously unknown to me, I shall enjoy reading it later). That was precisely my experience when I first made it to the summit of Glyder Fawr, which was a bucket list achievement for me. It has some similar-looking false tops but the highest one had a large group of about 14 adults sitting around the summit rocks and eating their sandwiches. No way did I want all those red and blue jackets in my photo, but nor did I want to hang about waiting for them to get up and go.

I guess they were of exactly the same mindset as some people I encountered in my town centre just two days ago (this should be in the small rants thread!). In Clinton Cards a couple in their late 60s were firmly planted in front of the section I went there to see, and totally ignored my arm reaching around them to pick out two or three cards, while the books I wanted to browse in Waterstones were in a bit of a corner where a smartly turned-out man of 70-ish was looking at the same section and stood his ground. Exactly the same selfish "I was here first" attitude. Now I was brought up to be polite, and if that was me I would have taken a step to one side so that we could share.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:40:17, 12/04/17 »
So you want to share in Waterstones but not on the hill?  I honestly don't mind if there is someone on top of the hill when I get there or if they want to eat their sarnies enjoying the view.  Providing they don't block the path that is.
« Last Edit: 17:43:42, 12/04/17 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:01:45, 12/04/17 »
I don't take many photos so my summit ritual is to simply touch the cairn, don't mind if anyone else is there.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:23:12, 12/04/17 »
I honestly don't mind if there is someone on top of the hill when I get there or if they want to eat their sarnies enjoying the view.  Providing they don't block the path that is.

That's exactly what this crowd were doing, they were perched all around the summit and there wasn't room for anyone else. If I had tried to go onto the top some of them would have had to shift out of the way to let me up. It's not as if they were just lingering, they were firmly planted and it was going to be a little while before they all finished their grub.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:02:52, 12/04/17 »
Not some thing I have ever come across.   I can see your point though, no need to hog the summit when there is useualy a very fine spot a few yards away often with better shelter. 

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:15:54, 12/04/17 »
I don't take many photos so my summit ritual is to simply touch the cairn, don't mind if anyone else is there.

^^^ this ^^^

I tend to take more photos FROM the summit as opposed to OF the summit.

Murphy

« Reply #11 on: 06:47:40, 13/04/17 »
Doesn't bother me really....life's too short!

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:45:45, 13/04/17 »
The summit slug is a poor creature, there rare physiology means the dry out if away from the tops too long, and wither and die ;D
They have to cling to there precarious existence, so lets be more tolerant!
Ray Mears did a documentery about them..........www.summittslugs.com
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:25:41, 13/04/17 »
Not exactly summit slugs, but I remember a few years ago my wife and I were doing the Ingleton waterfalls walk.  We arrived at Thornton Force where there is a viewing area surrounded by a low wall.  I wanted my wife to sit on the wall so that I could take a photo of her with the waterfall in the background, but there was a young couple sitting there.  We waited patiently for them to move on, but they just continued sitting there.  They could see that I was waiting to take a photo but just had a "we were here first" attitude.  In the end we gave up and walked on.

Knuckledragger

« Reply #14 on: 13:31:58, 13/04/17 »
Why didn't you just politely ask them to move to allow you to take the photo?  Whilst perhaps a little ignorant, they almost certainly weren't mind readers.....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy