Author Topic: The Birds, the birds.  (Read 49490 times)

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
Re: The Birds, the birds.
« Reply #120 on: 19:03:56, 22/11/20 »
Ridiculously noisy due to failing light but this Kestrel gave me the perfect pose this afternoon.

Great shot!!

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #121 on: 20:24:34, 22/11/20 »
Ridiculously noisy due to failing light but this Kestrel gave me the perfect pose this afternoon.

That is just beautiful . It is as if he is asking "will this pose do"....!
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #122 on: 08:15:16, 23/11/20 »
Fabulous kestrel shot O0
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #123 on: 11:34:07, 23/11/20 »
Lovely picture  O0

watershed

« Reply #124 on: 17:43:31, 23/11/20 »
wow, excellent shot! O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #125 on: 18:03:00, 23/11/20 »
Fab kestrel shot  O0
Hate will never win

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #126 on: 15:35:59, 28/11/20 »

There is a colony of sparrows that roost in a garden next to ours, it is very overgrown so they seem to love it. I have six feeders which they come too every day. They also attract a resident Sparrow Hawk . I feed the sparrows and the sparrows feed the Hawk .  :)

I told my wife to take the plastic bag down that is hanging ready for next time I get a chance to snap him......it obscured the view of this beauty ... ???

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #127 on: 18:32:34, 28/11/20 »
Beautiful Kestral photo, andybr, unfortunately one of these little beauties is lying dead at the side of the road nearby.

Fantastic photo, GinAndPlatonic, those eyes!

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #128 on: 19:56:55, 28/11/20 »
Such a delight, GinAndPlatonic, when you have the opportunity to observe this hunter-prey relationship up close  Afro
Wonderful picture too with the fierce eyes!
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #129 on: 20:04:19, 28/11/20 »
Great to capture a sparrowhawk. Despite having seen quite a few in and around our garden, I have never captured one on camera. They have such piercing eyes.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #130 on: 22:10:40, 28/11/20 »
When this guy is around you cannot hear any birds at all , everything goes deathly silent . I imagine the sparrows in the bushes all around , as if holding their breath until he has gone. ...I actually had time to go in the house and get my camera only to realise on my return that I had no memory card in it..I once again went into the house and when I returned for a second time he had gone , but then to my surprise he flew up onto the fence still looking for prey.
This was taken at f 5.6 and when I finally got my head round what I was doing ,I dialled it back down to f2.8

« Last Edit: 22:22:17, 28/11/20 by GinAndPlatonic »

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #131 on: 08:56:14, 29/11/20 »
Fabulous.

House sparrows used to visit my garden and a sparrow hawk - neither now :(

I have a small pond and the sparrow hawk would hunt around the flower pots for frogs right by the back door.
One day he caught a starling all that was left was the beak and one foot:(
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #132 on: 09:08:49, 29/11/20 »
We had a sparrowhawk fly into our kitchen window. It was stunned and lying on its back with its wings spread out - still breathing. The local feral cats were intrigued by it. My wife went out with gloves on and flipped it the right way up. After a period recovering, it eventually flew off.

On another occasion, I was in the front garden and a great tit landed right next to me. All of a sudden there was a whoosh and a sparrowhawk landed a foot away from my left foot at the location the great tit had just vacated. Immediately the hawk was off trying to catch the escapee, flying through a gap in the hedge. This time it was unsuccessful.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #133 on: 10:33:28, 29/11/20 »
Cracking pics G&P,

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #134 on: 16:09:12, 30/11/20 »
Beautiful Kestral photo, andybr, unfortunately one of these little beauties is lying dead at the side of the road nearby.

Fantastic photo, GinAndPlatonic, those eyes!
We had a sparrowhawk fly into our kitchen window. It was stunned and lying on its back with its wings spread out - still breathing. The local feral cats were intrigued by it. My wife went out with gloves on and flipped it the right way up. After a period recovering, it eventually flew off.

On another occasion, I was in the front garden and a great tit landed right next to me. All of a sudden there was a whoosh and a sparrowhawk landed a foot away from my left foot at the location the great tit had just vacated. Immediately the hawk was off trying to catch the escapee, flying through a gap in the hedge. This time it was unsuccessful.
Fabulous.

House sparrows used to visit my garden and a sparrow hawk - neither now :(

I have a small pond and the sparrow hawk would hunt around the flower pots for frogs right by the back door.
One day he caught a starling all that was left was the beak and one foot:(
I just love these stories....there is so much drama going on in our gardens. The older I am the more I really see. Photography is wonderful in that respect , it can motivate us to start really looking .
I remember years ago watching a squirrel , a blackbird and other birds just sharing time in my garden when something startled all of them...the squirrel made a beeline for the tree and collided with the blackbird at the same time . It was so funny . All life is out there at times.  :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy