Author Topic: Looking For Walking Buddies  (Read 1151 times)

jbr100uk

Looking For Walking Buddies
« on: 23:14:56, 21/03/09 »

Hi everyone.  I’ve recently joined this forum and am, needless to say, very keen on walking.  I’m 34 and live in Bolton.  I have about 20 years’ walking experience and am comfortable on various terrains from valley walks to the peaks of the Lake District and Wales.  I am physically fit and can easily walk 12-14 miles per day.  Swimming and tandem riding are two of my other interests, along with piano playing and computers.

The only difference between you and me is that I cannot see.  I’m simply aiming to build up a pool of guides – walking companions outside my family circle, for day walks and/or walking holidays.

Guiding me is very much easier than you might think.  I can easily explain to you how to do it, even if you’ve never guided a blind person before.  The main things you need are an open mind and common sense.  If you’ve got those, we should get on great! 

To find out more, please contact me John Robinson
« Last Edit: 19:47:09, 27/03/09 by jbr100uk »
You only live once. So, if you see an opportunity, grab it! It might not come again!

Visit my walking blog at http://blindwalker.wordpress.com [nofollow]

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
Re: Looking For Walking Buddies
« Reply #1 on: 11:08:30, 26/03/09 »
Hi John, and welcome.

I live a long way from you so unfortunately cannot help but am curious. In a previous job I taught a number of blind and partially sighted people to use a pc but hadn't thought about guiding them on a walk. I confess to initially doubting my ability to teach people with no sight at all how to use a pc but I managed so maybe this is something I could do too.

Do you have any vision at all? Can you tell me what programme you use on your pc? We used Supernova (I worked for a charity) and although I found that more recent versions became a bit easier, I really struggled with forums.

I run walking holidays so should you ever fancy one in Wiltshire, let me know and maybe we could sort something out.
~
Sue

jbr100uk

« Reply #2 on: 20:36:20, 26/03/09 »
Hi Sue and many thanks for your reply.  I'll certainly look at www.whitehorsewalking.co.uk [nofollow] to find out about the holidays you offer.  I'd better not go into your PC-related questions on this forum because it would be off topic, but if you give me your e-mail address in a private message, I'll be happy to discuss the technology I use.  If you can teach blind and visually impaired people how to use a PC, I have no doubt you could also guide them on walks.  The first rule about being a good sighted guide is not to assume that you already know how to help the person you're guiding, but to ask them first how you can help them.  Most blind and visually impaired people can easily explain what help they need.  If you follow this rule, the rest comes surprisingly easily.  To your knowledge, have you ever had any blind or visually impaired people on your walking holidays?

Kind regards,

John

Hi John, and welcome.

I live a long way from you so unfortunately cannot help but am curious. In a previous job I taught a number of blind and partially sighted people to use a pc but hadn't thought about guiding them on a walk. I confess to initially doubting my ability to teach people with no sight at all how to use a pc but I managed so maybe this is something I could do too.

Do you have any vision at all? Can you tell me what programme you use on your pc? We used Supernova (I worked for a charity) and although I found that more recent versions became a bit easier, I really struggled with forums.

I run walking holidays so should you ever fancy one in Wiltshire, let me know and maybe we could sort something out.
You only live once. So, if you see an opportunity, grab it! It might not come again!

Visit my walking blog at http://blindwalker.wordpress.com [nofollow]

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 06:28:38, 27/03/09 »
Hi John,

I will send you a PM. No, I haven't had any guests with visual impairments on my holidays. We only started at the end of last summer and have only just opened again this year so haven't had that many guests so far. It's not something I had thought about before but I'm always open to new ideas.

I'm meeting with a lady next week who's working on making local routes more accessible and will see if she has any experience of this.
~
Sue

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy