Author Topic: TR Wild camp on Fauldside Hill Sat 8 to Sun 9 Aug 20  (Read 3580 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We drove to Ettrick and the parking area at Potburn again to do a few more of the Ettrick Hills, including the three we had missed on the Ettrick Horseshoe last weekend, White Shank, Fauldside Hill and Bodesbeck Law.

Looking back at the parking area at Potburn

As you can see it was a glorious day.

On the road toward Roweburn

We walked back along the road to access the farm track near Roweburn leading up above Range Cleuch.

A gentle ascent up the farm track from Roweburn

This is Range Cleuch and the burn is Whiteyaud Burn. We stopped to get some water because my bottle of squash had spilled into the boot of the car because the top had come off. Time for new bottles; it isn't the first time that has happened  >:(

It got steeper for a while

There was a bit of a breeze to keep us cool as we climbed our first hill, Black Knowe Head.

Looking back on the way up the farm track

Ettrick Pen, Hopetoun Craig and Wind Fell in view

On Black Knowe Head

We dropped down off the summit and had an early lunch. The breeze just about kept the midges at bay.

Bodesbeck Law from Black Knowe Head

Our plan was to pitch on there later but it depended on finding water at Whiteyaud Head. Our next hill was Bell Craig and we left the farm track on a faint trod through boggy ground.

Cairn on the way to Bell Craig top

Saddle Yoke left

I have taken a liking to this hill

Swatte Fell, Saddle Yoke and Carrifran Gans

Carrifran Gans and White Coomb from Bell Craig

Loch Skeen in view from Bell Craig

On the way to Andrewhinney Hill

We were bagging it then retracing our steps to Bell Craig

The hills to the east of Lochcraig Head

The views were superb with mountains and hills in every direction. We love it around here and it is very peaceful. So far we had seen nobody except a policeman who passed by us in a car and another man who passed by us in a car when we were on the road to Roweburn.

The view north east from Andrewhinney Hill

We both said we want to explore over there too at some point.

Andrewhinney Hill summit

We stopped for a banana break and the midges were out and about in between the breezy spells. We both said we could do with more wind.

On the way back to Bell Craig we dropped down a little so we could see the waterfall Grey Mare's Tail

Loch Skeen and Grey Mare's Tail

Grey Mare's Tail in close up

On the way back to Bell Craig

It was boggy and rougher on this bit, we'd been spoiled by the farm track at the start.

Looking back to Bell Craig

There were a few trods to follow or quad bike tracks as we made our way to Mid Rig, then onto Nowtrig Head.

Saddle Yoke and Carrifran Grans

On Nowtrig Head

Bodesbeck Law ahead

We were hoping to get water at Whiteyaud Head in the col but when we got there it was dry. We could either descend left to Whiteyaud Burn to get it then carry it back up and then onto Bodesbeck Law or go over Bodesbeck Law and drop down to Bodesbeck Col to get water from Bodesbeck Burn. It looked a long way down to Whiteyaud Burn and then back up again so we climbed up Bodesbeck Law without getting any water.

Bodesbeck Law summit

It was a tough climb, we were tired and we were ready to pitch but we had no water for our camp so we had to carry on.

Descending Bodesbeck Law

It seemed to take forever to reach the col and we eventually got some water from Bodesbeck Burn. It was rougher under foot near the burn as we looked for a pitch. The views weren't very good so we made the effort to climb another hill up onto Fauldside Hill, very hard it was too, rough and pathless, now carrying 3l of water each

The Hubba Hubba on Fauldside Hill

We found a pretty good pitch thank goodness and we got our water on to filter and sorted out our gear. The wind that was supposed to be about 5mph had picked up and some of the gusts were more like 20 mph and although we had pitched the tent end into the wind, the wind kept changing direction. It kept the midges at bay but we couldn't sit out as it was too cool. We had been wishing for more wind earlier, now we regretted it. We hadn't seen anybody at all out on our route, what an amazing place and fabulous to have it all to ourselves. We had some food and a glass of wine.

The sun going down behind Swatte Fell

The sunset wasn't the best one we have ever had, we needed a bit of cloud to diffuse it.

A bit of a red glow

We finished our wine and we fell asleep as soon as our heads touched our pillows, it had been a tough day.

After a blustery night we awoke to mist over the tops but it lifted by 8.30 and we had wonderful views again like the day before.

The Lowther Hills

Saddle Yoke from our pitch

White Shank from our pitch

Saddle Yoke and Bodesbeck Law from our pitch

We thought it was just as well we hadn't pitched higher up on Bodesbeck Law, the wind had been strong enough 100m lower down.

Going over the summit of Fauldside Hill

We were packed up and away just after 9.

On White Shank

Not quite the highest spot, that was over the other side of the wall.

Smidhope Hill from White Shank

We had pitched up there last Saturday. We retraced our steps on the trod through the rough boggy ground back by Fauldside Hill and down to Bodesbeck Col. We took a pathless shortcut away from the wall we'd been following as the ground was getting rougher near it. To our surprise we saw two walkers, the first in 24 hours out on the hills. We said our good mornings, they were going up Fauldside Hill as we were descending it.

Onto the forest track back to Potburn

From the col there is a forest track that leads back to the parking area at Potburn. Nice easy walking after the pathless rough stuff.

Crossing Longhope Burn

We'd stopped for a brew and some food on the way down before we finished the last bit of easy walking back to the car and our people count remained at 2.

Day 1 route map

Day 1 route was Potburn - Roweburn - Black Knowe Head - Bell Craig - Andrewhinney Hill - Bell Craig - Mid Rig - Nowtrig Head - Bodesbeck Law - Fauldside Hill 8.7 miles with 736m ascent.

Day 2 route map

Day 2 route was Fauldside Hill - White Shank - Fauldside Hill - Bodesbeck Col - Potburn 3.1 miles with 98m ascent. It felt like double the distance because the walking had been over very rough terrain at times.

Another great 2 days and we will be returning to Scotland and avoiding the Lake District for a while, we love the hardly any people here and the views are fantastic, not sure why it is so quiet here  :-\
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Wild camp on Fauldside Hill Sat 8 to Sun 9 Aug 20
« Reply #1 on: 20:33:44, 11/08/20 »
Gorgeous photos April, particularly vivid.
Must visit sometime.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:48:54, 11/08/20 »
Marvellous. But did you  really say you needed more wind? 🤪
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:02:23, 11/08/20 »
Nice write up and pics Ape O0
Was a tremendous weekend, the last climb with the extra 3k of water was a bogger though  :o
Fancy a wc this weekend wee lassie ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:23:15, 11/08/20 »
Great pics.
But all this walking in a foreign country isn't helping Squeaky knock off her Wainwrights. I think Richard is a bad influence on you!

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:28:18, 11/08/20 »
Another cracking adventure  O0
Love the blue sky on Saturday and the clouds on Sunday

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:27:29, 12/08/20 »
Great pics.
But all this walking in a foreign country isn't helping Squeaky knock off her Wainwrights. I think Richard is a bad influence on you!

;D A good influence, surely?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:29:22, 12/08/20 »
Must visit sometime.

I wouldn't bother, it isn't very good. Not sure why I bothered posting any pics to be honest  ;)

But did you really say you needed more wind? 🤪

Yes and we got more  :D

Fancy a wc this weekend wee lassie ;D

Ah dee wee laddie  :D

;D  I did consider putting a Donald count in the TR to wind Richard up  ;) The Lake District is very busy at present so we will wait until later in the year to go and do some, unless the weather is poor over the border.

Love the blue sky on Saturday and the clouds on Sunday

We had pretty good weather, the blue sky was marvellous  :)
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:29:59, 12/08/20 »
The Grey Mare's Tail really is an impressive waterfall - like Cautley Spout on steroids.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:30:19, 12/08/20 »

;D A good influence, surely?

;D
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:32:43, 12/08/20 »
The Grey Mare's Tail really is an impressive waterfall - like Cautley Spout on steroids.

It is  :)  I've only seen it in photos before. The path above the waterfall gets very busy with other people and that puts me off going but it must look even better closer up.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 07:37:07, 12/08/20 »
I wouldn't bother, it isn't very good. Not sure why I bothered posting any pics to be honest  ;) 
I'll give it a miss then. ;)

The Lake District is very busy at present so we will wait until later in the year to go and do some, unless the weather is poor over the border.

All those people slavishly bagging their Wainwrights; ruining the fells.  :D

Actually, the fells were very quiet on Monday, perhaps the heat and humidity. I chatted with a couple of men coming off Wetherlam at around 4 - they hadn't seen a soul since leaving the top of Coniston Old Man.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 07:40:19, 12/08/20 »
Actually, the fells were very quiet on Monday, perhaps the heat and humidity. I chatted with a couple of men coming off Wetherlam at around 4 - they hadn't seen a soul since leaving the top of Coniston Old Man.

:o  That isn't bad because that is a popular round. The people must all be in the towns and villages and on low level walks. Beefy said it was absolutely heaving in Keswick on Friday.
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:45:58, 12/08/20 »
Lovely photos of the rolling hills April    :)

It's so nice to find an area where you can escape the crowds. I think there's so much good walking to be found off the beaten track   :)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:56:26, 12/08/20 »
Looks like you had a great walk April, and lovely weather. Your pics don’t often have so much blue sky!  ;D I remember Greymare’s Tail, we went there years ago when the kids were young so not much walking had ( in between our younger and older walking days!)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy