Author Topic: How quick to walk up Snowdon  (Read 3441 times)

Goquick48

How quick to walk up Snowdon
« on: 06:12:34, 06/11/20 »
Hi there walkers ..... I recently walked up Snowdon in sept 5th ..... I wondered ? .... so I joined this ....... what’s a very fast time waking up Snowdon ?? I would like to know if I’ve got to go quicker ?? I did not run up !! ..... I walked it quick .... I hit the summit in 1 hr 34 mins ..... I’ve only been walking 3 months at weekends ..... then just decided Thursday morning in the shower at 6am I wanted to do Ben Nevis ... I then decided instantly I’d do it ASAP...... then driving to work 30 mins later  I decided to do Snowdon the next day (Friday) and Ben Nevis the next t weekend (back to back !!!! I was on the way to Snowdon the next morning ... I walked Snowdon 9 :30 am .... the rest was a slight blur ?? My time was 1 hr 34 mins .... and I know I can go quicker as there was people infront of me at times .... I didn’t want to be rude to start (but in the end would dart around people off the footpath etc ........ I can go quicker ...... what’s the fastest someone has walked to the summit please ?? I can go quicker ..... I walked 10 mile last Saturday on tarmac (country lanes etc) out the way anyway !!! I done 10 miles in 1 hr 59 mins .... 2 week before I done 30 miles in 6hrs 55 ....(10 miler In 5mph) and the 30 miler at 4.3 mph / the first 20 mile I done in 4.5 mph) I’m quick .... I wanna hold the record for walking fastest up Snowdon/not running. .... what is it, does anyone know please (I know it’s run up and down in 1hr 3 mins ) Italian guy !!!!! Thanks walking friends 🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: How quick to walk up Snowdon
« Reply #1 on: 08:48:24, 06/11/20 »
Great stuff - and welcome to the forum. Your speeds and distances are very impressive!  O0

Answers to your questions about Snowdon will be relative of course, because you have to take the route and distance covered into account (I'm sure you know there's more than one route...  ;)).
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:32:26, 06/11/20 »
Welcome to the forum  :)

Can't help you with your query as I am more of the slow and steady type myself.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

mad dug

« Reply #3 on: 01:01:00, 08/11/20 »
Hi Go Quick, I am sorry I don't know the fastest time up Snowdon on record as like Richard I always just plodded along apart from the time I chose the Crib Goch route.
On that occasion  I moved very... very slowly though my bowels moved fast.
I had a hill walking mate  in my younger days who would climb the hills at great speed.He was the fittest person I ever knew and I was in awe of his stamina.
I could never keep up with him.
He died at the age of 51 with a heart attack, so maybe rushing everywhere through life aint such a good idea I reckon.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:25:20, 08/11/20 »

Welcome to the forum
I, like the others, am not in to walking as a speed event but yours is also a bit of an odd question. It's like asking what is the fastest time for 100m not counting people who run. As anyone who has ever seen race-walking will know the line between walking and running can be a very fine one and you need constant monitoring to check that people are not cheating.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:23:01, 08/11/20 »
I'm into walking for many reasons, including the occasional personal 'speed event'. I also like to explore the countryside - by myself and with my wife and family; I love achieving summits on hill walks and bagging trig points; I've enjoyed the challenge of walking every street in nearby towns; I walk (and run) for fitness, health and stamina and so I'm almost as happy using a treadmill in these times as I am going out; and I also like creating Strava art!

I completely accept that I'm in a minority here by setting myself distance speed challenges at times, which I sometimes mention, but for me these are just extra reasons why I love this activity and hobby. I'm also very pleased when, on rare occasions, someone else raises the subject...  :)

snaderson

« Reply #6 on: 07:53:58, 09/11/20 »
I did it in 1hr 40mins a couple of years ago from Pen y Pass with a 10kg pack (fitness test for an Alpine trek I was considering). Given your other times, you should be able to Go Quicker  :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:40:43, 09/11/20 »
Likely the fastest time up Snowdon (Not the train). Will be some one who ran it, almost impossible to verify someone walking all the way up.  You need to state your start point to gain a meaning full route too.  A work colleague of mine, Dean Crow, won the Snowdon half Ultra Triathlon in 2019.

Here is a link to the results page.  Plenty to ponder on how quickly you are compared to others from here.

https://my.raceresult.com/109122/results?lang=en#1_444C73

His Mountain Ascent time was 1:18:15.  That is from the bottom not pen-y-pass and obviously he was pacing his effort over a much longer challenge.

Good luck on Ben Nevis and take care in the snow and weather.  It's not a walk in the park.

Edit: I think the 1:03 time is up and down again from Llanberis. ;)

« Last Edit: 11:34:34, 09/11/20 by BuzyG »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:21:53, 09/11/20 »
I agree with many, but not all, on here.  For me, walking is far too enjoyable to make some sort of competition out of it.  IMHO as soon as you start going against the clock you detract from the activity.  You will be reluctant stop to chat or divert to investigate something interesting or just stop to take the time required to admire the view properly.  In effect, it is turning walking from a passtime to some form of athletic event.  I appreciate some people like to challenge themsleves to see how fast they can go and that is fine for them, though if it is a self-challenge, I question the motivation for then making the time and distance public.  Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

That said, I admit I do keep a walking log that includes a record of time and distance as well as other things but it is solely for my own amusement and is not for sharing.  It does not include bottom to top times but I suppose I could work it out from the gps traces.  However, my time walking in Snowdonia was before I developed and digitsed my current walking log or recorded continuous routes by gps.  IIRC, the one time I actually noticed how long I took, it was from the Llanberis car park to the summit in a little under 2 hours.  I cannot recall a bottom to top time for any of the other routes, to be honest it did not matter.
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:27:51, 09/11/20 »
I've never understood the either/or, or the all or nothing view of what walking is or what makes it enjoyable.

For example, I've made a competition out of just 2 of my last 50 outdoor walks. I've mentioned those two walks here and referred to the times taken, but I've mentioned many, many more other walks as well - where the focus has been all about the flora, fauna and views.

Just in case anyone missed those 'competitive' walks though... In September, I walked the Virtual Great North Run half-marathon on mostly level ground in good conditions in 2hrs 52mins (averaging 4.6mph). In October, I walked the Virtual 2020 London Marathon off-road over undulating terrain in the rain in 6hrs 15mins (averaging 4.2mph).  :)

Now I understand perfectly that some people like to stick to certain types of walking and that's great. But I've never understood why some people like to contribute to a topic about a type of walking they don't like - just to say they don't like it. I started a topic about walking all the streets in your nearest town, only for some to say they didn't see the point. I talked about visiting trig points, only for some to say they didn't see the point. I started a topic about creating Strava Art, and guess what?.. Personally, I haven't even the slightest interest in tents, but I've never joined in a discussion about tents to say that I'm not interested in tents.

watershed

« Reply #10 on: 17:30:34, 09/11/20 »
I've never understood the either/or, or the all or nothing view of what walking is or what makes it enjoyable.

For example, I've made a competition out of just 2 of my last 50 outdoor walks. I've mentioned those two walks here and referred to the times taken, but I've mentioned many, many more other walks as well - where the focus has been all about the flora, fauna and views.

Just in case anyone missed those 'competitive' walks though... In September, I walked the Virtual Great North Run half-marathon on mostly level ground in good conditions in 2hrs 52mins (averaging 4.6mph). In October, I walked the Virtual 2020 London Marathon off-road over undulating terrain in the rain in 6hrs 15mins (averaging 4.2mph).  :)

Now I understand perfectly that some people like to stick to certain types of walking and that's great. But I've never understood why some people like to contribute to a topic about a type of walking they don't like - just to say they don't like it. I started a topic about walking all the streets in your nearest town, only for some to say they didn't see the point. I talked about visiting trig points, only for some to say they didn't see the point. I started a topic about creating Strava Art, and guess what?.. Personally, I haven't even the slightest interest in tents, but I've never joined in a discussion about tents to say that I'm not interested in tents.

I hate to be pedantic about this Dave, but if times are highly important to you, shouldn't you only post times that were from purely walking.
I seem to recall that you said part of the London Marathon was jogged. Surely that means the time is invalid as a walking time.
when I did the Glasgow Marathon I walked some and ran some.
I wouldn't post that as my best "walking time"
It would be classed as a run.:)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:55:03, 09/11/20 »

I hate to be pedantic about this Dave, but if times are highly important to you, shouldn't you only post times that were from purely walking.
I seem to recall that you said part of the London Marathon was jogged. Surely that means the time is invalid as a walking time.
It would be classed as a run. :)

I take your point, but for me the important thing is the kind of activity being done. For example, trail-runners will often (or nearly always) walk for some of the time, but I can't imagine they'd categorise their ultra-marathon (or whatever) as a walk.

Similarly, on the London Marathon, I only jogged very occasionally and that was on some downhill sections where I decided that jogging (or what probably more resembled skipping!) was safer on the steep, slippery slopes. So I'd prefer to claim that having both feet off the ground at the same time in the name of surer-footedness doesn't turn a walk into a run - it's simply a question of technique!  ;)

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:48:29, 09/11/20 »
On a London to Brighton walk participants were allowed to jog/run for 5 minutes every couple of hours.
This was still classified as a walk even though the distance covered in the 5 minute jog period contributed to some quickish times... 52 miles in 10.5 hours.
It's all uphill from here.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:11:18, 09/11/20 »

It would be classed as a run. :)
This is a large problem for the OP, it's so easy to lift both feet off the ground at once when you are walking quickly.  I basically jogged all the down hill sections of my walk on Sunday and  the final section of up hill to the car.  I was just moving at a comfy pace for me most of the time. Chatting to folk I past and generally enjoying the day, while getting a good workout.  Boots gaiters and full winter sack on my back But for a record attempt it would not be a valid walk.

snaderson

« Reply #14 on: 07:53:53, 10/11/20 »
But I've never understood why some people like to contribute to a topic about a type of walking they don't like - just to say they don't like it

O0  It is the curse of all social media, of course. Ditto people posting "me too"*. Just like me, now.

* By which I don't mean the #metoo movement. "Me too" was a thing before that.  

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy