Author Topic: Fitness and injuries advice  (Read 1237 times)

marizeye

Fitness and injuries advice
« on: 13:40:41, 15/02/21 »
Hi all

I used to be fit enough to trek quite a bit in my youth (I'm 56 now) but now am battling to get my fitness back up to a good enough level to join a walking group.  The main problems being, a (old) spine injury and foot injury (ironically, from a more recent trek that I pushed myself too hard on).  I see that most walking groups walk for around 10 miles, at minimum 6 miles.  It's very hard to find any shorter walks.  I think the best I could do right now is 4 miles.  I know that Ramblers occasionally do short walks, but I found it was so occasional that I ended up never making it. 

Is there any such thing as a walking group specifically for people with injuries who want to get fitter?  If not, does anyone know of any (I'd prefer small) groups in London that do short walks?  I'd love to get out into the countryside - my ideal thing would be to walk 2 miles, stop somewhere for lunch, then walk 2 miles back.  I don't hold out that much hope there is something like that out there, but if you have any ideas/tips do please let me know.  I don't have a car.

Thanks

Peak

Re: Fitness and injuries advice
« Reply #1 on: 14:27:29, 15/02/21 »
It's not for everyone but I always walk or backpack alone, I too have a few physical niggles so adjust my mileage to suit the way my body feels. I don't own a car and find public transport very good, I have several bus & train timetables on my phone so no matter where I end up I can find transport home if needed unexpectedly. I have being using this way for around 11 years, it works for me.

marizeye

« Reply #2 on: 14:49:10, 15/02/21 »
It's not for everyone but I always walk or backpack alone, I too have a few physical niggles so adjust my mileage to suit the way my body feels. I don't own a car and find public transport very good, I have several bus & train timetables on my phone so no matter where I end up I can find transport home if needed unexpectedly. I have being using this way for around 11 years, it works for me.

It's a good way of getting around the problem, I'm sure I would do that too if I was a man - as a woman I feel a bit nervous to go into the countryside on my own.  So, still hoping to find some other option

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:21:55, 15/02/21 »
No easy way back from injures as you get a little older.   I started back walking at 54 and after a bit of success getting fitter injured a back muscle.  It was a full 18 months getting back to it after that, but once I did I was finally able to keep up with our Ramblers group.

Thing was during the interim I still went on a number of their walks.  When I turned up they made allowances.  I would take short cuts on a circular route with another member keeping tabs.  We do the same for any member new or old.  The trick is keep at it and you will find those that are happy to help. 

Easy for a guy who is 6ft 4 to say, but you are safe out on your own in the country side in the UK.  Confidence is the key. 

Keep at it the rewards are life long and well worth it once you get there.

marizeye

« Reply #4 on: 15:45:59, 15/02/21 »
No easy way back from injures as you get a little older.   I started back walking at 54 and after a bit of success getting fitter injured a back muscle.  It was a full 18 months getting back to it after that, but once I did I was finally able to keep up with our Ramblers group.

Thing was during the interim I still went on a number of their walks.  When I turned up they made allowances.  I would take short cuts on a circular route with another member keeping tabs.  We do the same for any member new or old.  The trick is keep at it and you will find those that are happy to help. 

Easy for a guy who is 6ft 4 to say, but you are safe out on your own in the country side in the UK.  Confidence is the key. 

Keep at it the rewards are life long and well worth it once you get there.

Thanks so much, that's very encouraging.  I had a fractured spine from a bad trauma - classed as "mild" but my experience of it certainly was more than "mild"!  I would never have thought of the groups letting me take short cuts or helping out in that kind of way, so definitely food for thought.  I'm always hoping to find a walk where there would be convenient "escape" points - probably I need to do more research and preparation on that.  Re the confidence of being alone I'll take that on board, perhaps I can experiment with that. 

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:03:29, 15/02/21 »

It's a good way of getting around the problem, I'm sure I would do that too if I was a man - as a woman I feel a bit nervous to go into the countryside on my own.  So, still hoping to find some other option

Have had problems with body ailments, started off being only able to walk short distances but over time increased to amaze me! See your from the Big City, have you seen these walking groups? ...
https://www.walkinginengland.co.uk/london/groups.php

marizeye

« Reply #6 on: 16:12:02, 15/02/21 »

Have had problems with body ailments, started off being only able to walk short distances but over time increased to amaze me! See your from the Big City, have you seen these walking groups? ...

I knew about a couple but loads I didn't know for me to explore there - what a great resource, many thanks!

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:14:45, 15/02/21 »

I knew about a couple but loads I didn't know for me to explore there - what a great resource, many thanks!

That's what we are here for, to help each other!
Good luck, hope you have success in finding some walking friends marizeye

Ray-S

« Reply #8 on: 16:20:30, 15/02/21 »
Random idea. How about a treadmill if you have the space / finance for one.  You can walk any distance and at whatever speed and incline you can manage until you get fit enough to go out with a group. You can even carry a back pack to increase the load. I started off age 63ish going out at night in winter (in the dark so nobody saw me) with a rucksack loaded with containers full of water (1 litre of water is 1Kg) If I got tired it was simply a case of tipping some water out. I eventually went up Skiddaw like that and got some very strange looks at the top when I emptied out about 15 litres.

marizeye

« Reply #9 on: 17:24:15, 15/02/21 »
Random idea. How about a treadmill if you have the space / finance for one.  You can walk any distance and at whatever speed and incline you can manage until you get fit enough to go out with a group. You can even carry a back pack to increase the load. I started off age 63ish going out at night in winter (in the dark so nobody saw me) with a rucksack loaded with containers full of water (1 litre of water is 1Kg) If I got tired it was simply a case of tipping some water out. I eventually went up Skiddaw like that and got some very strange looks at the top when I emptied out about 15 litres.

Wow!  I am super impressed and inspired by your determination!!  Sadly I don't have space for a treadmill, but even if I did the big problem for me would be boredom, that's what I found at the gym.  Great idea about the water though, I may well add those to my daily constitutional!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:24:26, 15/02/21 »

That made me chuckle Ray.  Good on you.  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:46:04, 15/02/21 »
This may be of interest to you, marizeye. I'm pretty sure a similar scheme operates in Scotland.

https://www.walkingforhealth.org.uk/

PS - welcome to the forum  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:16:16, 15/02/21 »
Welcome to the forum, marizeye. Are there any large open spaces within a short bus or train ride from where you live? (WHEN we're allowed to travel outside our area again.)

I say this mindful of the fact that when I used to lead botany meetings on Hampstead Heath some people complained because we walked a circuit of 5 miles!

Obviously your answer is going to depend on what part of London you're in, but I'm thinking as examples Wanstead in the north, Hampstead Heath in the northwest, Wimbledon Common in the southwest, Thames towpath in the west, and so on.  But I believe if you're in the Docklands area you're [censored].

As an aside to any forum members who aren't familiar with London, it's so vast that there are lots of parts you can't reach unless you have 1-2 hours to spare, so some or all of my suggestions to the OP may be useless for him. EDIT: her. Apologies, grovel, grovel!

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:31:58, 15/02/21 »
The Saturday Walkers Club might be of interest.  They have a wide range of walks accessed by public transport from London, varying in length and terrain and with options for short cuts.  Unlike most walking groups they don't have a leader, and people are free to walk with the group or to spilt up into sub-groups or to walk alone but keeping the others in sight. 

https://www.walkingclub.org.uk/

I'm on the Sussex coast and don't have a car and I use trains and buses to access my walks.  I have timetables with me and I ascertain beforehand where bus stops are.   Street view on Google maps is useful for seeing the location of bus stops.

I understand your feeling a bit nervous about going into the countryside on your own, as I've felt that way myself.  But I've gradually built up the confidence to walk alone  -  and solo walking is my preferred option. I feel that there's little risk right out in the countryside  -  it's urban and urban fringe areas that are of more concern.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:41:06, 15/02/21 »
Walking for health is certainly worth a look, the walks are organised on the basis that participants aren't at the height of fitness and my local ones are usually around 3 to 5 miles. I admit I've never been on one, but I once went on one of their courses which is supposed to mean I can lead them. I am not sure how common the groups are, but as I have a local one here in the Hebrides, I have always assumed they must be everywhere.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy