Author Topic: Fitness and injuries advice  (Read 1197 times)

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: Fitness and injuries advice
« Reply #15 on: 22:09:10, 15/02/21 »
Random idea. How about a treadmill if you have the space / finance for one.  You can walk any distance and at whatever speed and incline you can manage until you get fit enough to go out with a group. You can even carry a back pack to increase the load. I started off age 63ish going out at night in winter (in the dark so nobody saw me) with a rucksack loaded with containers full of water (1 litre of water is 1Kg) If I got tired it was simply a case of tipping some water out. I eventually went up Skiddaw like that and got some very strange looks at the top when I emptied out about 15 litres.

15kg up Skiddaw in the tipping rain at night in winter at 63?

Sure you weren't a coal man in a past life Ray? ;D

That's some determination.  Well done for drawing a line in the sand and saying 'im getting this done'.

Ray-S

« Reply #16 on: 09:02:20, 16/02/21 »

15kg up Skiddaw in the tipping rain at night in winter at 63?

Sure you weren't a coal man in a past life Ray? ;D

That's some determination.  Well done for drawing a line in the sand and saying 'im getting this done'.

No no no. I'm not that daft, well not quite just yet. Probably too determined and stubborn for my own good but over 66 now and still here. 
The walks in the dark with the weighted rucksack were round a 6 mile circuit from the house.  Skiddaw was in the summer months during daylight on my own but with numerous people on the hill at the same time.  I wouldn't dream of going up in the dark on my own let alone do that in winter.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:35:55, 16/02/21 »
I can't help with the small walking group, but you may find walking poles help. They can help spread the load when walking and even give you something to "stretch" against when you take a rest.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:39:13, 16/02/21 »
I agree and if you do consider walking sticks make sure you have a serious look at Pacerpoles. When I pulled a ligament a couple of years ago I found that my Pacerpoles really helped ease the pain. The main reason for me was that I was able to 'push down' on my Pacerpoles rather than 'pulling down' on my ordinary models.

Peak

« Reply #19 on: 13:53:36, 16/02/21 »
Gunwarfman,
Managed to get out at last today after 10 days of pain in my lower back, took it steady and managed 2.83 miles, didn't take my poles but wish I had. I have considered Pacer Poles a few times after reading very positive reviews, would you recommend them?.

marizeye

« Reply #20 on: 15:39:48, 16/02/21 »
This may be of interest to you, marizeye. I'm pretty sure a similar scheme operates in Scotland.
PS - welcome to the forum  :)

Thanks!  I looked at this a long time ago and gave up because they only seemed to be doing limited things at certain times only - but now they seem to be doing a lot more, so very useful.  I even see something that meets more or less walking distance from me!  At the moment no one seems to be organising anything because of CoVID but it's more fodder for my future plans list ;-)

marizeye

« Reply #21 on: 15:42:10, 16/02/21 »
I can't help with the small walking group, but you may find walking poles help. They can help spread the load when walking and even give you something to "stretch" against when you take a rest.

They are fantastic and I have my own pair at the ready for when I'm fit!  Ironically I first used poles on the fateful walk that tore my achilles tendon (my fault, I pushed too hard on a walk I wasn't really fit enough for), but I did see the benefit of them!

marizeye

« Reply #22 on: 15:48:24, 16/02/21 »
Welcome to the forum, marizeye. Are there any large open spaces within a short bus or train ride from where you live? (WHEN we're allowed to travel outside our area again.)

I say this mindful of the fact that when I used to lead botany meetings on Hampstead Heath some people complained because we walked a circuit of 5 miles!

I'm so sorry you don't lead botany walks any more, I'm always looking for herbal/botany walks and so far the only ones are the other side of London from me.  Hampstead Heath is great for me generally, but not at the moment as I don't have a car to get there and am "allergic" to public transport during covid.  As soon as I get my 2 jabs and don't mind so much, I will definitely be going there!  I wish that someone would do a walking guide to Urban london - eg walking routes that are +/- pleasant and avoid busy roads - if you or anyone else knows of something like that please let me know!

marizeye

« Reply #23 on: 15:50:48, 16/02/21 »
The Saturday Walkers Club might be of interest.  They have a wide range of walks accessed by public transport from London, varying in length and terrain and with options for short cuts.  Unlike most walking groups they don't have a leader, and people are free to walk with the group or to spilt up into sub-groups or to walk alone but keeping the others in sight. 

I'm on the Sussex coast and don't have a car and I use trains and buses to access my walks.  I have timetables with me and I ascertain beforehand where bus stops are.   Street view on Google maps is useful for seeing the location of bus stops.

I understand your feeling a bit nervous about going into the countryside on your own, as I've felt that way myself.  But I've gradually built up the confidence to walk alone  -  and solo walking is my preferred option. I feel that there's little risk right out in the countryside  -  it's urban and urban fringe areas that are of more concern.

Thanks, I will definitely look into that group - another option for my future plan list!

ayjay

« Reply #24 on: 16:52:04, 16/02/21 »

Hampstead Heath is great for me generally, but not at the moment as I don't have a car to get there and am "allergic" to public transport during covid.
If HH is not too far away, could you get to either Queen's or Highgate Woods, or the old railway line, now known as Parkland Walk? The River Lea towpath is another thought, depending on whereabouts you are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkland_Walk#Crouch_Hill_to_Crouch_End_Hill
https://www.parkland-walk.org.uk/access
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lea_Valley_Walk

marizeye

« Reply #25 on: 17:58:17, 16/02/21 »
If HH is not too far away, could you get to either Queen's or Highgate Woods, or the old railway line, now known as Parkland Walk? The River Lea towpath is another thought, depending on whereabouts you are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkland_Walk#Crouch_Hill_to_Crouch_End_Hill [nofollow]
https://www.parkland-walk.org.uk/access [nofollow]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lea_Valley_Walk [nofollow]

Thanks for reminding me of these!  I might be up to walking to the first two from where I am, or if not soon be ready to take a short bus ride

ayjay

« Reply #26 on: 18:33:21, 16/02/21 »

Thanks for reminding me of these!  I might be up to walking to the first two from where I am, or if not soon be ready to take a short bus ride
The first "two" are the same walk, (I felt that the second link had a more useful map).

It was just somewhere to play when I was a kid, no trains since 1954 (so we can't blame Dr.Beeching), but plenty of other stuff to play with there for a young rascal.

I was born in Crouch End,  long before it became fashionable, in fact, I suspect that me moving away was a prerequisite to it becoming fashionable.

marizeye

« Reply #27 on: 18:55:00, 16/02/21 »

It was just somewhere to play when I was a kid, no trains since 1954
I was born in Crouch End,  long before it became fashionable, in fact, I suspect that me moving away was a prerequisite to it becoming fashionable.

;D ;D  I don't know if you noticed the oak trees on that train line walk - they grew thanks to my uncle throwing some acorns down!  It was his way to celebrate remission from cancer (which sadly got him in the end)

ayjay

« Reply #28 on: 22:09:48, 16/02/21 »
I've not been there since long before it was turned into a *walk*: at a rough guess it was probably about 1962 the last time I was there, I started travelling further afield by bike after that, often down to the R.Lea coincidentally.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy