Author Topic: Keswick to Threlkeld  (Read 2955 times)

Ray-S

Keswick to Threlkeld
« on: 19:27:04, 21/12/20 »
Hi there. Wanting to take the grandchildren on the above walk tomorrow but as the 3 and 1/2 year old will not do the full distance and we are coming from Penrith I would like to start from the Threlkeld end. Familiar with the Keswick end but where do we park and start from at Threlkeld?  Thanks.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Keswick to Threlkeld
« Reply #1 on: 20:05:02, 21/12/20 »
Am I thinking of the right place? On the main road as you drive towards Keswick there's a free large car park on your left, just at the village entrance road on your right.

Ray-S

« Reply #2 on: 21:30:39, 21/12/20 »
Am I thinking of the right place? On the main road as you drive towards Keswick there's a free large car park on your left, just at the village entrance road on your right.

I think I remember that car park you mention. Hopefully the railway line path will be signposted from there or on entry to the village. Will give it a try. Thanks.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:56:32, 21/12/20 »
Again if I remember correctly, the railway line (which I have walked as well) is onto the main road and turn left, or into the village and turn left, not far anyway. If you look at Threlkeld on Bing Maps and click on the free OS section its easy to see the start and the route.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:00:10, 21/12/20 »
I've just had a look, into the village and turn left looks a lot safer than the main road.

Ray-S

« Reply #5 on: 22:04:11, 21/12/20 »
Thanks gunwharfman. Will have a look on a map. I have only walked it from Keswick but not gone to the end so don't know where it starts in Threlkeld.  I'm sure we will find it ok. (Famous last words)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:09:23, 22/12/20 »
Whether you walk through the village or along the main road the start is easy. It begins at the main road pavement going towards Keswick and is signposted there. When I looked at the map it also suggests that there is a path on the car park side of the main road, which appears to join onto the route of the railway line, you get to it and turn right. I've never tried it myself but it looks as though that this is a third option to consider.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:16:38, 22/12/20 »
There is parking on the road named "Burns" on google maps. If you drive past Threlkeld on the A66 it is the first left turn after the last Threlkeld junction. You can access the railway path from that road, there is a gate just after the bridge over the Glenderamackin.

Threlkeld - Google Maps

No having to cross the main road or owt.
Hate will never win

Ray-S

« Reply #8 on: 18:30:35, 22/12/20 »
Whether you walk through the village or along the main road the start is easy. It begins at the main road pavement going towards Keswick and is signposted there. When I looked at the map it also suggests that there is a path on the car park side of the main road, which appears to join onto the route of the railway line, you get to it and turn right. I've never tried it myself but it looks as though that this is a third option to consider.

We parked in the (cricket club?) car park on the left that you mentioned and crossed the road into Threlkeld. A couple walking in the opposite direction advised us it was about 1 mile to the start of the old rail line and my daughter said that was too far for little Jesse before starting the walk so we went back to the cars and drove into Keswick. We parked at the old railway station so right at the starting point of the walk. Didn't get very far as the wee man was in a mood and would not peddle his bike so we came back after about 1 mile.  It was very very busy so if anyone is nervous about covid it might be best avoided until the novelty of being open again wears off.  Beautiful smooth surface now. Perfect for bikes, wheel chairs and mobility scooters.

Ray-S

« Reply #9 on: 18:40:40, 22/12/20 »
There is parking on the road named "Burns" on google maps. If you drive past Threlkeld on the A66 it is the first left turn after the last Threlkeld junction. You can access the railway path from that road, there is a gate just after the bridge over the Glenderamackin.

Threlkeld - Google Maps

No having to cross the main road or owt.

After we got to Keswick my daughter mentioned there was parking by the road to Burns Campsite which is the one you mention but as we travelled in separate cars she could not communicate that to me.  Will know for the next time.  Thanks for the info. I really should look at maps.  Lived in Penrith for 25 years and in Carlisle for the last 12 years but only started going on the fells in the past 3 years. Didn't know what I was missing. Love going up Skiddaw but coming down kills my knees.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy