Author Topic: Firewood in Keswick/Buttermere  (Read 2553 times)

Traipse

Firewood in Keswick/Buttermere
« on: 22:19:26, 15/04/21 »
Hi, Fellow Fell walkin Fellas and Ladies   O0

I'm staying in Buttermere soon and I need some firewood for my BBQ, preferably Heat Logs as they burn a long time with a nice flame.

Does anyone know where I can pick some up in Keswick or Buttermere itself?

I think Booths have a load of firewood and BBQ stuff outside but can't remember.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Firewood in Keswick/Buttermere
« Reply #1 on: 23:13:43, 15/04/21 »
Garages usually sell bags of firewood
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:56:10, 16/04/21 »
How odd that just a single word can instantly generate so many personal memories.

To me, the word 'firewood' brings back memories of how we lived in the 50s. We worked on the land and one of my jobs, as the eldest child in my family, was to look for firewood. For example one of the last jobs of the working season (around November) was to pull out root vegetables, we called them mangles, and they were used to feed cattle in the colder months.

My job was to ensure that the fire at the end of the field was kept burning all day. November's in the 50's could be bitterly cold and we had many severe white frosts and cold winds to worry about. The fire was there so everyone that was working in the fields could warm their hands when they needed to. At various times we all used to experience the 'hot aches,' caused by warming our hands too quickly and too often over the course of the day. It could be a very painful experience.

Sorry about that, the word 'firewood' distracted me.

As the oldest child (there were four of us) if I ever let the fire go out I was in BIG TROUBLE! I only made that mistake once!

MarkT

« Reply #3 on: 13:42:47, 16/04/21 »
In Buttermere itself there is nowhere you can fire logs, in fact no shops at all. However the farm, near the The Bridge Hotel and Teashop sells logs and kindling from its barn paying in the honesty box. Sometimes eggs as well. Not exactly what you are after but better than nothing. Plenty of shops in Keswick that do sell fire logs, you just need to go into the town and look around.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #4 on: 17:06:26, 16/04/21 »
Are you planning on staying in a holiday cottage at Buttermere, or camping?

Traipse

« Reply #5 on: 18:04:00, 16/04/21 »
Thanks for the replies. More are welcome. :)

@Gunwharfman, you're story is definitely different to my first experience with fire, growing up on a council estate in the 80's.  ;D

@ MartT, I found that Syke Farm supply's and sells firewood for their Yurts log fires and I'll have a wander around Keswick when I arrive.  O0

@Lakeland Lorry, are you going to tell me off for lighting fires when wild camping?  :P

I'm staying in a Cottage, with a stone BBQ in the garden, so I'd like a small fire at night in it while I'm there and pop some goodies above the coals once the flames have died down, out.  O0

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #6 on: 18:51:22, 16/04/21 »
Thanks for the replies. More are welcome. :)

@Lakeland Lorry, are you going to tell me off for lighting fires when wild camping?  :P

I'm staying in a Cottage, with a stone BBQ in the garden, so I'd like a small fire at night in it while I'm there and pop some goodies above the coals once the flames have died down, out.  O0

As you may be aware, we've had quite a few problems with so-called "fly campers" causing all sorts of damage throughout the Lakes and, as one of the people who's role it is to look after the area, I'm always concerned when anyone mentions fires.   So, I'm pleased to hear that you'll be staying in a holiday cottage.  Hope you have good weather for your trip.  It's been lovely here today, a bit nippy in the morning, but lovely and sunny.

Traipse

« Reply #7 on: 21:03:09, 16/04/21 »

As you may be aware, we've had quite a few problems with so-called "fly campers" causing all sorts of damage throughout the Lakes and, as one of the people who's role it is to look after the area, I'm always concerned when anyone mentions fires.   So, I'm pleased to hear that you'll be staying in a holiday cottage.  Hope you have good weather for your trip.  It's been lovely here today, a bit nippy in the morning, but lovely and sunny.

I sensed you were gonna give me a rollocking if I'd mentioned doing a poundland BBQ in Buttermere.  ;D

I'm staying in Alan Beards Yew Tree cottage, thanks to Sally's Cottages.  O0  I think he runs Syke Farm as well so should be sorted for firewood.

I always do a bit of litter picking when out, whether it's a local park or wild camping in the mountains.  O0

Thanks, I hope the weathers good too and we don't get many "May Showers". Seem to get more in May than April now.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #8 on: 22:04:44, 16/04/21 »
@Traipse

Yew Tree Cottage is in a lovely spot.  Right next to the Syke Farm Tea Shop.   Think Alan owns Wilkinsyke Farm, not Syke Farm, but I could be wrong.

In case you were wondering, there aren't any shops in Buttermere, so if you need anything, you're best to pick it up in Keswick on your way through.   Buttermere does have two two lovely lakes and two pubs; the Bridge, and the Buttermere Court Hotel (formally The Fish), and two cafes; Syke Farm Cafe and Croft Farm Cafe.   

What dates will you be staying?  I live quite near to Buttermere and I'm often there looking after the National Park car park.   So, if there's anything you need to know about the area, then let me know.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:22:54, 17/04/21 »
Yes, Buttermere is a gorgeous spot, have camped there many times, and have enjoyed many a pint in The Bridge.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:24:28, 17/04/21 »
I sensed you were gonna give me a rollocking if I'd mentioned doing a poundland BBQ in Buttermere.  ;D

Those things are the work of the Devil, and ought to be banned.

Enjoy your stay. :)

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:54:21, 17/04/21 »
Not my area but we have similar problems on Dartmoor and your initial post made me nervous, so very glad you owned up ;D 
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Traipse

« Reply #12 on: 01:35:26, 18/04/21 »
@Traipse

Yew Tree Cottage is in a lovely spot.  Right next to the Syke Farm Tea Shop.   Think Alan owns Wilkinsyke Farm, not Syke Farm, but I could be wrong.

In case you were wondering, there aren't any shops in Buttermere, so if you need anything, you're best to pick it up in Keswick on your way through.   Buttermere does have two two lovely lakes and two pubs; the Bridge, and the Buttermere Court Hotel (formally The Fish), and two cafes; Syke Farm Cafe and Croft Farm Cafe.   

What dates will you be staying?  I live quite near to Buttermere and I'm often there looking after the National Park car park.   So, if there's anything you need to know about the area, then let me know.

O0

Yes you're right, he owns Wilkinsyke.

I've been to Buttermere a few times and Syke or Croft Farm cafe for the ice cream, but will be sampling more goodies this time as I'm staying, and will be seeing if I can book a couple of meals at the pubs mentioned, or getting super quick takeaway delivered.  O0 ;D

I'll be getting my main bits and bobs from Keswick before I arrive.  O0

Traipse

« Reply #13 on: 01:37:01, 18/04/21 »
Yes, Buttermere is a gorgeous spot, have camped there many times, and have enjoyed many a pint in The Bridge.

O0

Traipse

« Reply #14 on: 01:39:14, 18/04/21 »

Those things are the work of the Devil, and ought to be banned.

Enjoy your stay. :)

True.

Too many folks using them during the covid restrictions we've been having.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy