Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573307 times)

photonut

Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2775 on: 17:10:16, 03/11/19 »
... He's like a bouncy mountain goat.

Ha ha, I've been called some things in my time but never that  ;D

Glad you had a good day out though, I thoroughly enjoyed it  O0 .. and nicely finished off with a pint in the Wasdale Inn

Look forward to catching up with you on the 17th

Cheers
Lee

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2776 on: 20:07:52, 03/11/19 »
Cracking day. Legs of lead today! And I think my description is about right.  Thanks for slowing down yesterday.  Great route, chuffed to do the great door route at last.

Paul

photonut

« Reply #2777 on: 20:28:56, 03/11/19 »
Cracking day. Legs of lead today! And I think my description is about right.  Thanks for slowing down yesterday.  Great route, chuffed to do the great door route at last.

Paul

Hopefully your legs will be 'unleaded' tomorrow  :)

More than welcome and no thanks necessary.  Really enjoyed chatting and walking, made for a superb day out.... I shall take you up on your offer of a walk in Snowdonia at some point

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2778 on: 20:55:30, 03/11/19 »
Good workout on Dartmoor today.  Straight up Yes tor from Meldon quary, over West mill and Rough tor to Irishman's wall. Then back down to the wooden bridge at Belstone. Staight up Cosdon beacon and over the top to the Hound tors, then up Steeperton and straight down tuther side to the ford.

The weather had closed in, so  I took advantage of the military tracks and jogged over to Dinger tor.

The last shelter and tea stop was at High Willhays.  I put on everything I had in my bag for the decent back to the car.  Once back bellow Yes tor once more I joined the track and ran the rest of the way down.  Finally warmed up as I arrive back. 18 miles and 4000 ft of accents.  Enjoyed that, dispite to awful weather.  O0

Hadrian

« Reply #2779 on: 21:55:40, 07/11/19 »
A Northumberland National Park walk starting at Greenhaugh and taking in some local history including the bastles - fortified farmhouses built to defend against the marauding border reivers. So fresh air, great scenery, local history and a promising weather forecast. Around 7 miles.

Warbler

« Reply #2780 on: 21:07:41, 10/11/19 »
Really good 8 mile walk in the South Downs today. Started from Singleton, over St Roche's Hill, around Goodwood racecourse, through East Dean, over North Down and Levin Down, and back into Singleton.

Nice bright day, expansive open views of the surrounding downs and some lovely colours. Not too muddy either considering recent rainfall.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2781 on: 21:18:04, 10/11/19 »
Back up on Dartmoor today with the Moorland Ramblers group.  14miles out and around from Dartmeet.  A beautiful warm sunny day. So much warmer than last weekend in the driving rain.  No more moors until Christmas now.  ;)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2782 on: 23:41:15, 16/11/19 »
Not quite this weekend - but Friday was a toss up between Chapel House Woods or Grizedale.
We decided to go that bit further as it was the first time taking our two (newish) dogs to the Lakes.
They really appreciated being off the lead and sniffing out everything in Grizedale.
The weather was kind with quite a reasonable amount of blue sky and only a passing shower or two.
We didn't see any other walkers and only a few cyclists as we headed back later in the afternoon.
The bonus for the day was catching the cafe at the visitor centre with just 10 mins to spare before they closed - to get a hot cuppa.
Two very tired pooches slept all the way home.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Ronin83

« Reply #2783 on: 12:40:01, 17/11/19 »
Did a 9.4 mile circular around Wendover. Took on the toughest climb In the Chilterns. I'd done it before but in reverse. Going up was less slippery but a very intense cardio burst, to reach the monument at the top of Coombe hill. Its near the end of the walk too. I do appreciate having the Chilterns on my doorstep. It's not exactly the lake district or snowdonia, but it's pretty good still.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2784 on: 13:12:16, 17/11/19 »
I know the area well Ronin.  I did 3 tours at RAF Halton and, apart from walking the woods and the Ridgeway, I spent heaven knows how many hours floating above it in a glider.  Great country.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2785 on: 20:46:56, 22/11/19 »

We walked the hooker track up to Muller lake today.   That got us some amazing views of Mt cook.

Many who ventured up there have not come back.  There is a telling memorial to them.  Most were in there teens or twenties.

Off  to pastures new Tommorrow. :driving:

Hadrian

« Reply #2786 on: 21:01:19, 22/11/19 »
A relaxed 6 mile walk from Rothbury along the Coquet valley, returning via the Terrace north of Rothbury and along the carriage drive created by Lord Armstrong of Cragside.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2787 on: 09:34:42, 24/11/19 »
Another busy days Holidaying I  even got MrsG into one of those wirly hello things for the first time and we spent a little time up on the snow accross the valley from mt Cook,   Not much walking there, we were only had ten minutes or so on the ground.  I did get a walk in in the evening though up from our accommodation in Lake Wakapo to the top of my name sake Mt John.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2788 on: 19:40:53, 25/11/19 »
Fab pics Buzy! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2789 on: 09:10:12, 28/11/19 »
Love those pics BuzyG.  Eldest daughter is considering a move to NZ, be a great excuse to go and walk those mountains.

Got three days in Borrowdale this weekend, and, touch wood, the forecast looks good.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy