Author Topic: Winter on the way  (Read 6929 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Winter on the way
« Reply #45 on: 19:55:50, 31/01/21 »
Nearest to winter (snow) we get this side of the country is a hard frost in a morning  :-\

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 00:35:13, 01/02/21 »
Nearest to winter (snow) we get this side of the country is a hard frost in a morning  :-\
Where about are you Mell.  The forecast for here in the SW is still for a real cold spell, kicking off with snow and winds from next weekend. Then hopefully calm cold and sunny for a few days.  Fingers crossed it holds true.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 08:58:28, 01/02/21 »
Bright and frosty here in Northumberland; am going out to look for otters  :)

andybr

« Reply #48 on: 09:49:00, 01/02/21 »
A few miles north of Mel in Scarborough we have had no snow whatsoever so far this winter. There has been a bit on the moors but nothing at sea/town level.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 12:36:05, 01/02/21 »
The moors definitely count.

Here, close to the South Cornish coast, the gulf stream keeps us warm and cosy.  But up on the moors it was excellent over the Christmas period.  Our local SW weather, like other places, Snowdonia, the Western Lake District and West highlands. is vastly different down on the coast to up on the moors, especially in the SE of the region, where the moors create a dryer shadow for us to bask in.  The rain dumps on First Bodmin then Dartmoor and any thing that is left up on Exmoor.  Meaning the South Coast of Cornwall and Devon sees less rain and very little snow.  The prevailing SW wind sees that we get some rain here.  But when the N, NW winds bring in the Snow the moors catch it and store it like a huge playground and Dartmoor being the largest and importantly highest, has the best swings.   O0

Never having lived on the East coast I don't follow the weather patterns over that way.  I would be interested to here from those that do.  I love learning about weather.
« Last Edit: 12:47:47, 01/02/21 by BuzyG »

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 17:22:34, 01/02/21 »
I've never seen the Cairngorms with as much snow as covers them at present.
Have a look at the Loch Morlich webcam. It does move so wait for it to show the mountain view. Absolutely magnificent looking!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 20:16:03, 01/02/21 »
BuzyG – aye, I’m down the coast and slightly inland of Scarborough.  Nestled in our own micro-climate.  We only get snow here if it’s been below freezing for a few days then the wind swings round to attack us from the north and picks up a bit of humidity from the sea on the way, and even then, it can be a bit hit and miss.  The beast from the east was the last proper snowfall we had. 

Usually the weather offloads itself all over the Pennines long before it reaches the east coast – we just get the drizzly dregs at sea level.  Having said that, we’ve got a weather warning for snow over the next couple of days… watch that not happen  ;D

.. probably why I got so excited at seeing some benign patches of snow on the Red Screes forum meet last March ..  :-[

Sparnel – I’ll take a look at that webcam in daylight (not making the mistake of looking at a webcam at night again  :D  )

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 21:40:19, 01/02/21 »
Everything was deep frozen again this morning.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 22:34:07, 01/02/21 »
Mel.  It won't come as a huge surprise that the so called, beast from the East, was more of a grumpy puppy down here in the SW.  Though it did catch a few out on Haldon Hill as I recall.  It never really made it down to us in earnest.

I actually booked a day off work due to the apparently Red weather warning and drove up to Dartmoor for a bit of foul weather training.  We had wind chill at -22 up on Great Links Tor and I loved it up there.  But it was nothing particularly bad.  Next weekend is currently forecast at wind chill -19 for example. 

The best thing was they closed the Dockyard for the day.  So I got my leave back. ;D O0
« Last Edit: 22:45:20, 01/02/21 by BuzyG »

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 08:48:42, 02/02/21 »
Sparnel – I’ll take a look at that webcam in daylight (not making the mistake of looking at a webcam at night again  :D  )
Not just me then ;D
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 15:47:24, 02/02/21 »
Didn't think you would have looked at it in darkness! Go om...have a look now - 3.50pm

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 17:44:27, 02/02/21 »
Didn't think you would have looked at it in darkness! Go om...have a look now - 3.50pm

I took a look and almost a complete White out on every Cam or they are all broken. ;)

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 18:40:58, 02/02/21 »
Probably white out condx. Was nice and bright earlier. Some amount of snow and to think all the ski centres are closed >:(

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 19:36:08, 03/02/21 »

I looked at a Whernside webcam at 11pm a few years ago and scratched my head a bit wondering why I couldn't see anything.  Took a few minutes for the penny to drop  ;D   

Still no snow at Mellie-Towers despite the local forecasts for the area.  Heaved it down with rain last night though and the wind had a bit of a nip to it. We're having more problems with flooding at the moment.  Having said that, the wind's apparently swinging round to the north east for this weekend and will clash with the rain coming up from the south west so we might get a bit of snow from that... buuut probably not.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 10:10:15, 04/02/21 »
Loch Morlich webcam showing winter right now!

https://www.lochmorlich.com/webcam
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy