Author Topic: Is it me... Makes m e seethe  (Read 7452 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Is it me... Makes m e seethe
« Reply #15 on: 14:11:37, 08/02/21 »
Covid to one side for a moment. A sad story to read at any time.

No one sets out on a walk, if they think they are going to get in serious difficulty, though some show very poor judgement of risk.  No one makes a volunteer climb a mountain to rescue someone else either.  The MRT do generally show far better judgement of risk though, but no one gets it right all the time.

Covid back in the picture. The two walkers were in breach of current law and fined for that.

My thoughts are with both i'll parties.

Indeed. Accidents happen to the most experienced from time to time. Desperately unlucky.

And the camper with chest pains? He made a stupid mistake, yes, both in camping high during bad weather with a heart condition, and in doing so during a deadly global pandemic, but it sounds as if he is genuinely sorry, and the guilt will live with him for the rest of his life. As will his heart condition, so yes, I do have some sympathy for him as well as for his badly injured rescuer.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:49:36, 08/02/21 »
Covid to one side for a moment. A sad story to read at any time.

No one sets out on a walk, if they think they are going to get in serious difficulty, though some show very poor judgement of risk.  No one makes a volunteer climb a mountain to rescue someone else either.  The MRT do generally show far better judgement of risk though, but no one gets it right all the time.

Covid back in the picture. The two walkers were in breach of current law and fined for that.

My thoughts are with both i'll parties.

The MRT reps have already said it, a totally needless rescue.   Volunteer SAR will always have a selfless streak and this can get you into trouble, however I do question whether 'show far better judgement of risk' with respect to the volunteer is the correct phrasing here. 

The fact is that ordinarily that rescuer would have shown that better judgement by being at home (where they were).  However instead they answered the callout despite knowing they'd likely be out on the fells at 2am, moving by head torch and dealing with sleep deprivation whilst moving in steep terrain - because they wanted to help someone who had chest pains who shouldn't have been there.  You accept through years of experience that you can mitigate the risk but no callout is risk-free - and these campers choosing to do what they did has caused multiple dozens of people to incur these risks.  The fact that the initial injured party has had three heart attacks in 3.5 years yet still decided to climb fells in winter and camp up there absolutely beggars belief, particularly considering cold conditions will have caused his heart to be working overtime.  Considering this dubious decision making it does make me wonder whether he had his medication with him, or was he drinking prior to the incident.  This speculating is useless on here but I'm sure the debrief will be going into these types of questions.

For those who say 'if you take Covid out of the picture' then they would have been there anyway and it would have gone the same way - I disagree.   MR responses have altered significantly during Covid and often vehicles are dispatched with minimal team members, the overall response is scaled back and some people on the teams (in particular healthcare professionals) have been exposed to Covid and need to isolate - putting greater strain on those team members who do turn out as well as sometimes heavily loading those with equipment.  For example carrying a stretcher, oxygen bag and your personal winter rucksack + rope at the same time represents a good 70-90lbs. 

This photo is looking down the eastern side of Red Screes to the Kirkstone Pass.  Definitely the kind of terrain that at 2-3am, laden, is obviously going to be challenging.

There is also the 'cause and effect' discussion around Covid working the other way - perhaps the two campers would have called the rescue team earlier rather than being indecisive due to lockdown rule breaking?  Perhaps this could have influenced the conditions on the ground so that the accident may have been avoided?  Considering this rescue involved something near 100 people (3 rescue teams, 1 helicopter, 1 road ambulance, police, hospital staff and significant covid transmission risk doing stretcher carries - my overall feeling is how needless this was.

As to the initial injured party in question, I wish him a full recovery and hope he takes some time to contemplate his decisions.  There was mention of dealing with depression and I hope he gets over this, enjoys his life and lives it to the full as a testament to the opportunity he now has, in part thanks to the rescuer who is now severely limited in his own enjoyment of life.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:31:56, 08/02/21 »
This photo is looking down the eastern side of Red Screes to the Kirkstone Pass.  Definitely the kind of terrain that at 2-3am, laden, is obviously going to be challenging.

..especially in icy conditions.

Peak

« Reply #18 on: 19:34:53, 08/02/21 »
Just been on the GoFundMe site to make a donation to help the MR team member that was injured, just hope others follow.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:03:07, 08/02/21 »
Here is the link to the GoFundMe campaign.

Link deleted - the site is probably genuine, but, as April says, better to donate directly to Patterdale Mountain Rescue.

Edit - John Gale does appear to be a real person, and has been involved in fundraising in Hebden Bridge before.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:21:17, 08/02/21 »
Just been on the GoFundMe site to make a donation to help the MR team member that was injured, just hope others follow.

Thanks for the heads up!  O0

Toxicbunny

« Reply #21 on: 00:24:42, 09/02/21 »
I don't know what they were thinking especially during the winter. The amount of the fine is pathetic.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 08:13:48, 09/02/21 »
The men will have to live with the consequences of their actions forever, I am pleased I'm not in their shoes. But like most people I have been sticking to local so I would never be in them. This shouldn't have happened.

The go fund me page has been set up by John Gale of Hebden Bridge. Who is he?

This is Patterdale Mountain rescues take on that

"We strongly encourage you to be cautious about donating to independently established funding sites, none of which we have authorised, as it is not uncommon for these to be set up with fraudulent intent.”

Injured Rescuer - Red Screes Appeal - Patterdale Mountain Rescue Team

I will be donating directly to the Patterdale MRT
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 08:48:18, 09/02/21 »
Thanks for posting that link, April O0

Truly terrible story.  Just hoping the MRT rescuer makes as full a recovery as possible.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:09:46, 09/02/21 »
The go fund me page has been set up by John Gale of Hebden Bridge. Who is he?

Valid comment about being cautious, April. Best to donate directly to Patterdale MRT.

I did a little digging, and John Gale does appear to be a real person, and has been involved in fundraising in Hebden Bridge in the past.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 11:03:15, 09/02/21 »

Valid comment about being cautious, April. Best to donate directly to Patterdale MRT.

I did a little digging, and John Gale does appear to be a real person, and has been involved in fundraising in Hebden Bridge in the past.

Yeah I was going to say, he's been involved in fund raising for community projects in the past and appears to be legitimate - you certainly don't put in the graft to run community projects for the financial gain (an understatement).  But overall yes, the direct donation to the Patterdale team seems to be the best choice - and their statement seems to imply they're wanting to create a charitable vehicle (his own charity) to help the rescuer with longer term charity. 

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:12:50, 09/02/21 »

Yes I googled his name and brought that up too but that was in 2010 and 2011. We still don't know if it is him or if it is all legit. He gives no other details about himself or how he is connected to Patterdale MRT or the injured team member. How he will be passing this money on? I hope it is genuine because the total on the go fund me page is over £15,000 at present.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 09:59:11, 10/02/21 »
I certainly hope so as I made a donation!  :o  I will be keeping an eye on what happens.

But as you say, best to donate directly to Patterdale MRT.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 12:12:19, 10/02/21 »
https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/19076430.thousands-raised-injured-patterdale-mountain-rescue-volunteer/

Thank you for the link Richard  O0  I am pleased it is genuine and not fraudulent. Sorry to seem so cynical and mistrusting but I deal with so many liars and dishonest people in the course of my job  :(
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy