Author Topic: Is it me... Makes m e seethe  (Read 7415 times)

Peak

Re: Is it me... Makes m e seethe
« Reply #30 on: 14:11:17, 10/02/21 »
Just been on YouTube and was shocked to see a video of someone name
Joe Garth wild camp on Bamford Edge this month, when will people ever learn. Didn't watch it all, just too angry because of recent events.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 08:00:46, 16/02/21 »
Just a quick heads up - leader of Patterdale MRT is on BBC Breakfast at 8.10 this morning discussing the incident.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 08:55:42, 16/02/21 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-56081225

'The campers, who called for help after one of them started suffering chest pains, have been widely condemned online, but Martin Cotterell from the team said volunteers "are not there to judge".'

This struck me. I should perhaps take a leaf from his book, although it is hard not to judge.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 12:19:49, 16/02/21 »

Thanks for the heads up pdstsp. I watched it and was very moved by the volunteers' responses. They are wonderful, selfless people. It is very difficult not to judge those 2 campers, as you say Richard.

The fund set up by the LD Search and Mountain Recue Association is at £97,850 already.

Chris Lewis Support Fund - Seriously Injured Patterdale Mountain Rescue Volunteer - JustGiving
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 14:51:14, 16/02/21 »
Impressive total that, April. The John Gale fund is over £20K too.

Edit - LD fund over £150K now  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 16:55:56, 16/02/21 »
There's some really thoughtless and stupid people rearing their heads during this pandemic. Everyone is fed up of the lockdowns, restrictions, pubs being closed etc etc. All it takes is some self discipline and common sense then these type of things along with others like illegal gatherings, raves and so on, wouldn't be happening.My sympathies are with the injured mountain rescue member, the campers are sorry but sorry doesn't alter the fact that they were breaking the law and shouldn't have been there. They deserve all the guilt they feel and more.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 17:25:03, 16/02/21 »

The fund is near to £200,000 now.

Chris Lewis Support Fund - Seriously Injured Patterdale Mountain Rescue Volunteer - JustGiving

I saw this article in The Guardian about him, very sobering reading. It seems Chris has been paralysed from the neck down.

Mountain rescuer who fell helping lockdown breakers may never walk again | Lake District | The Guardian

The two campers do deserve all the guilt they feel and more, I totally agree Richard.
Hate will never win

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 18:16:41, 16/02/21 »
Skip

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 08:19:36, 17/02/21 »
Update: apparently the Chris Lewis Support Fund has raised £372,679 so far (Weds 17 Feb).

Skip

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 09:21:16, 17/02/21 »
The response to the appeal is fantastic. Not far off £400k now.

I’m sure all he wants is a full recovery, and let’s all hope for that, but otherwise this will hopefully make his recuperation easier.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 12:31:04, 17/02/21 »

Now at £465,000.

I’m sure all he wants is a full recovery, and let’s all hope for that, but otherwise this will hopefully make his recuperation easier.

I'm sure he does too but he has such a severe injury to his spinal cord, he may never walk or be able to use his hands. This money will help to buy the equipment and care he needs, it is an absolutely horrible thing to have happened to him, an avoidable accident.

Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 13:06:15, 17/02/21 »
I agree April. It's great that people are supporting but awful that it's needed.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 14:15:04, 17/02/21 »
Now at £465,000.

I'm sure he does too but he has such a severe injury to his spinal cord, he may never walk or be able to use his hands. This money will help to buy the equipment and care he needs, it is an absolutely horrible thing to have happened to him, an avoidable accident.

There’s no harm in being positive, and remarkable recoveries do happen, but yes, it’s most likely going to fund rehabilitation and long-term care.

scottk

« Reply #43 on: 15:55:53, 17/02/21 »
I saw an article and the interviews with the team members was both uplifting and very sad. One team member had been speaking to the injured party and said he was already planning where they could go in his wheelchair. As active walkers, I’m sure we can all relate in a small way to the loss he must feel. Even a small injury which puts you out for a week or two is frustrating.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 19:08:30, 17/02/21 »

The fund is now at £578,249.

The local news had a report about it tonight.

Also there was a section about the fell top assessors

I will post a link when it is available on iplayer - edited to add - here it is:

BBC iPlayer - Look North (North East and Cumbria) - Evening News: 17/02/2021

@ 8:47 for the report about Chris Lewis

@ 21:37 for the fell top assessors bit

The fund is now at almost £593,000

« Last Edit: 20:02:55, 17/02/21 by April »
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy