Author Topic: Lightweight coffee options?  (Read 9960 times)

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: Lightweight coffee options?
« Reply #30 on: 18:47:10, 23/03/21 »
For me, terrible coffee really stopped my backpacking being much fun (yes yes I know, but I know what I like and it's good coffee) but I didn't want to bring a heavy, bulky solution which I only ever used for a half hour a day and the rest of the time became a nuisance.  Ended up picking up a Soto Coffee Helix, which was one of the smallest and most portable options available and looks like this:

So I use a S2S X-Mug (don't get the cup they're tiny), bring a bag of coffee grounds and a few filters, all of which packs away quite small.  The Soto helix itself packs flat, and I bring a ziplock bag to store food refuse which includes the grounds.  If I"m doing car camping or a day hike I like to bring my kuksa (traditional Nordic wooden mug) since otherwise I'd never use it and there's something rather rustic about having your brew like this..

Booga

« Reply #31 on: 18:59:18, 23/03/21 »
I like a good coffee but am happy to take a decent instant coffee out in to the hills. I put one spoonful for each cup I plan on having in a small ziploc bag and carry a sufficient splash of oat milk in a small plastic bottle.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 19:28:02, 23/03/21 »
I like a good coffee but am happy to take a decent instant coffee out in to the hills. I put one spoonful for each cup I plan on having in a small ziploc bag and carry a sufficient splash of oat milk in a small plastic bottle.

A few people seem to use oat milk in coffee whats it like?
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 19:49:10, 23/03/21 »

Less nice than cow's milk (in my opinion) for coffee.  On the upside it can be stored at room temp and it doesn't curdle or go funny when you're backpacking with it.  Quite nice on cereals though. 

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 20:22:41, 23/03/21 »

On the upside it can be stored at room temp and it doesn't curdle or go funny when you're backpacking with it. 

Didn't know that. Interesting.

Edit - advice seems to be that it should be refrigerated once opened. Wouldn't matter during cold weather, of course.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Booga

« Reply #35 on: 21:12:42, 23/03/21 »

For a plant milk I find it's one of the closest to a cow's milk and works well in hot drinks without curdling, being too thin or adding a taste that you may not want. I've also used cashew milk in the past as I noticed it contained more calories and thought every little helps when packing camping food!

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 22:24:19, 23/03/21 »

Didn't know that. Interesting.

Edit - advice seems to be that it should be refrigerated once opened. Wouldn't matter during cold weather, of course.

I mean technically you should put cheese in the fridge too and 'cheese sweat' is a thing in the summer but we still bring it.  Oat milk seem less vulnerable to going 'funny' than cow milk mind you, even if they're meant to be stored in a fridge once open.  Obviously not to everyone's cup of tea, excuse the pun, but if you're doing longer trips then powdered milk is probably the better bet.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 09:28:20, 24/03/21 »
I could of course take some of those individually containerised portions of UHT milk that you get in motels etc, but I rail against the excess of plastic packaging.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UHT-MILK-PORTIONS-portions-10ML/dp/B003B2T9NS
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 22:35:34, 24/03/21 »
Might something like this be an option? Looks like it can be used as your normal mug.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyliss-Hot-Mug-Cafetiere-Blue/dp/B00DB4JY68/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B00DB4JY68&psc=1

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 22:54:36, 24/03/21 »
Might something like this be an option? Looks like it can be used as your normal mug.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyliss-Hot-Mug-Cafetiere-Blue/dp/B00DB4JY68/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B00DB4JY68&psc=1

I have one similar and found cleaning it out a bit of a pain. OK for one cup, but for a day away not as easy as the stick I mentioned earlier.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

Thedogsmother

« Reply #40 on: 22:01:04, 25/03/21 »
I use this. It works really good just put filter coffee in it and leave it in your mug for a bit.
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/kitchen-stuff-c8/kitchen-accessories-c18/msr-mugmate-coffee-tea-filter-p8561

Mine is a Bodum.one though it was cheaper.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 15:11:24, 28/03/21 »
For fresh milk on a day walk I set off with the milk frozen in a little plastic bottle and wrapped in insulation like a woolly sock / glove. Sometimes its still part frozen after 6 hrs. A 500ml carton would still be part frozen after 24hrs

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 13:38:11, 29/03/21 »

isn't that a bit big and delicate to carry in a rucksack?

That pic makes it look big. It's not much wider than a mug. Quite strong metal mesh. It goes in a tub with other bits so doesn't take up any real room. But you can get plastic ones and many variations on the theme that are no doubt tougher. It's just the one I happen to have anyway, so it goes in the rucksack!

ImperialJohn

« Reply #43 on: 23:08:31, 14/04/21 »
Last time I was in the hills wild camping I took my small Bialetti and a small bag of ground coffee with me enough for a few cups, and a small container of fresh milk. It was fine. The milk stayed refrigerated because the outside temp and wind 1600 feet up kept it nice and cold.

I have used a Bialetti for about 5 years at home since my espresso machine died. It is not as good as a machine but an acceptable and cheap compromise until I see a new machine on discount at an acceptable price.

The only slight downside is the Bialetti I think does weigh quite a bit at around half a pound or 250g.

steve271

« Reply #44 on: 12:43:50, 16/04/21 »
I must admit I take the extreme minimalist approach, boil a mug of water, add two teaspoons of ground coffee to mug off the boil. Leave two minutes. Stir (very important, makes all the gunge go to the bottom for some reason). Leave 30 seconds. Drink.
Apart from the last half inch in the mug, this makes a perfectly good cup of coffee with no other apparatus necessary, and the grounds can just be chucked on the ground.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy