Author Topic: OS Map App Help  (Read 6855 times)

emdaw

OS Map App Help
« on: 20:14:28, 23/04/20 »
Help what am I doing wrong  :-[ 

Custom Routes created on PC and saved into my routes, all works OK.  However, when I open the OS Map app on my phone I can see all the routes I have created OK, I then download one of the routes for offline use.  I get the relevant map area but it does not show the actual route I plotted (no route line).  Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong??? 
Thanks in advance for your help.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: OS Map App Help
« Reply #1 on: 20:23:05, 23/04/20 »
Not seen that.  What happens if you "favourite" the route?

Have you checked the route styling in preferences?
Solvitur Ambulando

emdaw

« Reply #2 on: 22:35:38, 23/04/20 »
Not seen that.  What happens if you "favourite" the route?

Have you checked the route styling in preferences?

Thanks I will try that and let you know O0

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:11:34, 24/04/20 »
Emdaw, I had exactly your issue when OS updated its app last year - I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling, but it still happens occasionally.  I have moved to Viewranger on the phone and have been taking my old Garmin GPS out again.  OS made a right c0ck-up of the update and have lost a fair amount of goodwill as a result, IMO.

(Hope Phononut doesn't look at this thread - he'll explode ;D )

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:01:57, 24/04/20 »
I've never tried OS products so I can't help but I do own an Android phone. I've used the app 'Backcountry' for a number of years now and their OS maps have never failed me. The app nowadays is a one-off cost of £14.99. There is a free Backcountry version if you just want to give it a try.

Z3man

« Reply #5 on: 09:33:53, 26/04/20 »
This is a link to the OS website, listing known bugs etc.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/os-maps-app-faq.html#bugs [nofollow]

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:42:56, 26/04/20 »
"When I edit a route on web, why doesn’t it change on the app ? "
That question might answer why I am having problems with my phone. I thought it was lack of memory on my phone and it couldn`t take any more information on board.

There are way to many bugs now on OS for me now, so I am letting this years subscription lapse in three weeks time.
I am using Walklakes to plot routes and it has a nice clean interface.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #7 on: 19:15:15, 28/04/20 »
OS updated their app. I had same issues. I emailed them they got back to me within a few hours and sorted it for me. My advice contact OS. I tried installing and reinstalling nothing worked. They did something from their end and fixed it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:52:51, 28/04/20 »
OS updated their app. I had same issues. I emailed them they got back to me within a few hours and sorted it for me. My advice contact OS. I tried installing and reinstalling nothing worked. They did something from their end and fixed it.
Same here.  A load of my routes disappeared all of a sudden,  I got in touch and they recovered them from a back up.  I even got an apology.
Solvitur Ambulando

Annie oakley56

« Reply #9 on: 19:58:31, 03/11/21 »
This is exactly the problem that I have, all 'custom routes' have no route attached.
If i open the same route from the non - offline listing then its ok. And it says its downloaded
BUT quite often this route loses the overlay after coming back to it after screen saver mode.
There is a button "Add a custom offline map" but where from? If i press the button it randomly goes to the last location i was using with not reference to a map and is has a button 'Download'
Any ideas anyone?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:20:33, 03/11/21 »
I think you have to scroll round the map to the area you are planning on walking then caching/downloading that.  Probably best to do that on wifi prior to the walk, mindst.

Despite numerous trials with the OS map app, I just can't get on with it so hopefully someone who does use it can confirm the above (or say I'm talking a load of old bunkum).

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:53:45, 04/11/21 »
I didn't get very far with saving a map for use when the signal went awol...offline maps and then attempt to save for use on the hill on the following day. I guess that  I am a bit of a.dud with phone use.
I have Memory Maps that are available almost all of the time so not stuck but I do prefer using the clearer Ordnance Survey ones and perhaps more up to date than the five plus MM ones.

Eyelet

« Reply #12 on: 19:16:06, 04/11/21 »
AFAIK there are two approaches to downloading maps. On my iPhone OS App:

1. If you tap the 3 bars then Routes, then choose a new route it should say "Map available to download" at the bottom of its panel. Then tap the adjacent down arrow and the tap Download map. The app will automatically determine a rectangular area of map tiles which contain your route at all map scales and will download these to your phone either via a WiFi or mobile data connection. If you have an adequate connection to the OS tile server, you should see the the download complete fairly quickly. If the connection is poor/broken it will pause, but will let you resume if the connection is restored. So far, the only problems I have had with map tile downloading have been when my internet connection has dropped out.

To visibly check which map areas you have cached to your phone, tap the 3 bars then Offline Maps, then tap the slider next to "Show offline areas on map", then tap the < button top left , then Close to go back to the map screen. The areas of mapping that are cached are coloured green. Incomplete downloads are in grey. Pan and zoom the map to see where the green area are.

To check the list of cached map areas, tap the 3 bars then Offline Maps, then tap Custom offline maps at the top. Successful map downloads have an orange bar. The > panel can be tapped to see the downloaded map area (which will be tinted green if you enabled this as above). Back in the list of Custom offline maps, you can be tap to remove map. Failed or incomplete downloads are shown and have a grey bar on the left and can be tapped to Download map.  The list can be edited by tapping Edit and selecting maps for removal to free up memory if you need to.

2. The second way is to tap the 3 bars then Offline Maps, then tap "Add a custom offline map". Pan and zoom your map to display the area (i.e. full screen) that you want to download - this can be a portrait or a landscape rectangle depending on the orientation of your phone. When finished selecting the area, tap Download, then give the area a name and tap Save at top right. This area of map tiles will be saved to your phone memory. Check as above before setting out on the hill.

Hope this helps ...

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:04:06, 05/11/21 »
Thanks for that Eyelet.  I have not have a chance yet to try what you have written.
The 'second way' is what I shall try since I don't do routes as preparation to going on the hill although of course I consult the map at home and then 'store away' an outline of where I want to go. For difficult terrain I do store a few Waypoints, for the day out, on a Satellite navigation device.
Will this also work when using a non iPhone device? 

Eyelet

« Reply #14 on: 09:15:11, 05/11/21 »
You’re welcome. I use both methods as sometimes I want a larger area of map than just covering a route. I don’t have access to an Android phone, but would expect that the Android OS app will have the same functionality - I’m sure others can tell us O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy