Author Topic: Latterbarrow  (Read 3548 times)

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
Latterbarrow
« on: 14:23:39, 26/02/08 »
25th February 2008

Latterbarrow.

Just a short walk from Colthouse near Hawkshead to the top of Latterbarrow which overlooks Windermere. This is another of Wainwrights Outlying Fells and instantly recognisable by the fine obelisk on its summit. Pictures are now on the website.

Regards,
Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Latterbarrow
« Reply #1 on: 15:52:04, 26/02/08 »
Was it very breezy there today? I postponed a walk in the West Lakes today because of a duff forecast. Its extremely windy here in Co Durham - in fact some poor old chap has just been blown in front of a car in the town centre here - and bits of the old folks bungalow roof opposite are falling off. Its fair howling just now!
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:40:53, 26/02/08 »
Was it very breezy there today? I postponed a walk in the West Lakes today because of a duff forecast. Its extremely windy here in Co Durham - in fact some poor old chap has just been blown in front of a car in the town centre here - and bits of the old folks bungalow roof opposite are falling off. Its fair howling just now!

It was Ok on Latterbarrow yesterday although some friends of ours were on Mellbreak and it was blowing a gale.
Today I havent been walking but I drove over Cunswick Fell earlier and it was howling.
Dave

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:49:05, 26/02/08 »
Hi Dave,

I have been looking at you website in great detail, and hats off to you its a great guide of the lakes. I am currently planning my summer walks in the lakes. One of my favourite places is Stonethwaite.
I have a goal this year to bag 25 Wainwrights and i have been looking at my OL4 map for Wainwrights close to Stonethwaite. So far i have found
Eagle Crag
Sergeants Crag
Ullscarf
High Raise

Have i missed any out?

I have a walk planned from Stonethwaite - Eagle Crag - Sergeant's Crag - Greenup Gill - Stonethwaite

Do you think this is a reasonable walk for a novice like myself, or should i by aiming lower?

Cheers ;)

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:49:36, 26/02/08 »
Hi Dave,

I have been looking at you website in great detail, and hats off to you its a great guide of the lakes. I am currently planning my summer walks in the lakes. One of my favourite places is Stonethwaite.
I have a goal this year to bag 25 Wainwrights and i have been looking at my OL4 map for Wainwrights close to Stonethwaite. So far i have found
Eagle Crag
Sergeants Crag
Ullscarf
High Raise

Have i missed any out?

I have a walk planned from Stonethwaite - Eagle Crag - Sergeant's Crag - Greenup Gill - Stonethwaite

Do you think this is a reasonable walk for a novice like myself, or should i by aiming lower?

Cheers ;)

The route up Eagle Crag can be a bit confusing so if your not sure it might be best to go via Greenup Gill and return the same way.
There are many "Wainwrights" within easy reach for instance Great Crag & Grange Fell. Also Rosthwaite Fell and Glaramara.
There is also the tiny Castle Crag in the valley.
Just make sure you know your route. The paths are well trodden being Wainwrights but can still be confusing in cloud.
Regards,
Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:23:59, 27/02/08 »
Thanks Dave, i will take care. Think i will invest in tjhe Wainwright guides, any idea which one covers Stonethwaite etc.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:23:23, 27/02/08 »
I think is must be the Central Fells, though my copies are at home so I can not check while at work!

You can now buy the original Wainwrights and updated ones. I would advise the updated as you really don't notice the difference but they are not 50 years out of date. I remember once with the originals being told to look out for a collapsed fence which was long gone.

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:40:19, 27/02/08 »
I think is must be the Central Fells, though my copies are at home so I can not check while at work!

You can now buy the original Wainwrights and updated ones. I would advise the updated as you really don't notice the difference but they are not 50 years out of date. I remember once with the originals being told to look out for a collapsed fence which was long gone.
Ridge is quite correct, it is the Central Fells. The updated books are by Chris Jesty and are more up to date.
Dave

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:12:32, 28/02/08 »
Its on my list of purchases when i get paid next month.  Cheers guys.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy