Author Topic: Offa's Dyke - best section for a 5 day trip?  (Read 6939 times)

flick

Offa's Dyke - best section for a 5 day trip?
« on: 22:08:05, 02/02/11 »
Hi, i'm planning a 5 day walking trip with my mum at the end of March, and want to walk the most beautiful section of the path if anyone can advise please? i've lots more questions after this but this is a good starting point i think. flick

altirando

• Veteran Member
Re: Offa's Dyke - best section for a 5 day trip?
« Reply #1 on: 23:36:22, 02/02/11 »
Depends what sort of scenery you like. Sections of the northern part of the  trail often form part of a day walk for me and certainly this includes the most dramatic scenery - the walk along the Clwyd ridge on a broad path is panoramic, tne balcony trail under the Eglwyseg cliffs north of Llangollen is almost like being in the Dolomites. But leave out the very last day to Prestatyn - get the bus to Chester instead and enjoy this unique walled town. I suppose this infers you will pick a start point in mid Wales - you could perhaps walk on to the Trail from Ludlow, another medieval town and castle.  Depends if you are having to rely on trains and buses.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:46:58, 03/02/11 »
It depends a bit on how far you would like to travel each day as to how far 5 days might cover and, if you are B&B-ing and relying on public transport, whether it all connects. Some days can be quite long because accommodation is a little scarce along the way.

Mrs GP and I did the southern half a couple of years back, from Chepstow to Churchstoke. Our favourite section was that between Pandy (near Abergavenny) and Churchstoke/Montgomery, taking in Hay-on-Wye, Gladestry, Kington and Knighton. This is around 70 miles or so, and took us 5 days, containing what we considered to be the best walking and views, and the most variety. And, apart from the towns, it's also pretty quiet!

Abergavenny is well served by public transport, as is Welshpool, along with Kington and Knighton. Other places have some connections too, but can be infrequent or slow.

Cheers

GP

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:38:18, 03/02/11 »
I've done the whole of the path in two parts. The South part is on my blogsite, but I consider the best section is the one that passes by Llangollen. There is also one very tedious flat section across fields between hills that you should avoid if you can pick and choose - I'll look it up later for you. The area south around Montgomery is nice to walk as well O0

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:11:51, 03/02/11 »
Depending on the distance you want to travel Pandy north is great until just before Montgomery then there is a less interesting bit until you get to Chirk/Trevor and then up the Eglwyseg valley until Bodfari taking in the Clwyd hills is also great. The bit  to Prestatyn is less good. See website below for an account of the trip dog and I did with photos.

Transport should be Ok I think there are busses to Pandy and  you can easily get a bus from Montgomery then train from Welshpool. There are busses to Trevor and Chirk from Wrexham. Buses back from Bodfari might be rare but I think they might get you to Prestatyn or Rhyl for a train.

tomkent45

« Reply #5 on: 12:24:59, 03/02/11 »
Llangollen is definitely one of the top spots of the walk, make sure you save some time for it

Exit5man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:53:02, 03/02/11 »
The stretch between Chirk and Dyserth is highly recommended. Taking in Creigiau Eglwyseg, World's End and the whole of the Clwydian Range including Moel Famau .After Dyserth the drop down into Prestatyn is very exciting but it has it good points too.
Local transport links and places to stay are not a problem on this section of the path .
Everyday when i wake up i thank the Lord im Welsh .

Never walk under a black cat :-)

flick

« Reply #7 on: 20:55:31, 03/02/11 »
thanks so much for all your responses. i didn't realise how much planning it will need to get the best out of the 5 days. as i live in Whitchurch, shropshire, i have spent quite a bit of time around llandegla and llangollen anyway, so thought maybe i should experience a new area, however, i've not walked on the offa's dyke path so would get a different perspective and if it does come as highly recommended, we may well incorporate this into our trip. i have done a mountain bike ride around Knighton area and remember it being very hilly and beautiful. we do tend to like the hills more than the flat and variety in the scenery and most dramatic. Glad I found this site to pick all your brains. will have to sit down and work out how far we'd like to walk each day. our plan is to B&B it and hostels if they are in the right places. would be very interested to know parts to avoid as we could always navigate a different route around.

LlangollenHostel

« Reply #8 on: 17:56:40, 04/02/11 »
We're biased, but are another vote for checking out Llangollen on your walk!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy