Author Topic: Teesdale - Lartington and Deepdale  (Read 3312 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Teesdale - Lartington and Deepdale
« on: 22:26:38, 05/05/08 »
This was another Durham County Council walk, lead by Ian and stewarded by David, Steve and yours  truly - and with 31 walkers and two dogs.
This was the first "summery" walk this year - and I atually managed to get down to a short-sleeved t-shirt.
The walk was a simple circular starting in Barnard Castle visiting Lartington Park which has some very fine and quite old trees - and a cemetary for County Durham's more notable Roman Catholics.
We returned to Barny via Deepdale - a well-named narrow, wooded valley - quite steep and just a bit tricky in its higher parts - and chockablock with wild flowers.
Barny used to be a major garrison town and is surrounded by old army camps, and Deepdale was one of the training areas. One of the pics below shows a WW2 War Department sign which seems to have become part of a tree over the last 60 years!
Fab little walk - not to be done after a lot of wet weather as Deepdale becomes a muddy skating rink with above some interestingly steep ground....
Rocks at the top provide a cracking lunch and bouldering spot. 

Didnt take too many pics as I was busy stewarding....and I try to avoid taking pics on DCC walks in which you might be able to recognise anybody.

7.5 miles and 750 feet of climbing

« Last Edit: 22:30:22, 05/05/08 by mike knipe »
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy