Author Topic: My best pic of the day  (Read 665558 times)

Birdman

Re: My best pic of the day
« Reply #4275 on: 11:16:20, 16/11/20 »
Thanks. Yes it does have a spooky feeling to the area .

The tunnel in the distance has a bit of a chequered history as two workmen were killed while repairing brickwork back in the late 70`s.
A shaft filled with rubble collapsed onto them and they were trapped under the water , and In 1964 , two lads were drowned trying to canoe their way through the 1 & 1/2 mile tunnel .

I came across this thread that refers to both tragedies .
https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/78180-wast-hill-tunnel-collapse/

It was the February half term . In those days we didn't get a week, just the Friday and Monday. Rob and Clive left their homes early on the Friday to make the canoe trip through the tunnel. Unfortunately they didn't tell anyone their plans. When they didn't come home that night the  police were called and a search started, but they had no idea where they had gone. There was no news all Saturday, Sunday and Monday. On the Monday night a family returned home from a few days away and learned of their disappearance for the first time. Their son was also a pupil at our school and said that he had happened to see them on the Friday carrying a canoe down to the canal. A search was carried out and they were found. I drive over that bridge at the bottom of Parsons Hill, Kings Norton and always think about them and what they might have achieved had they lived.

That tunnel is fascinating, so I googled it. I found a video taken from a boat going through it. It's surprisingly crowded! I wouldn't volunteer for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpFUHCk-7K8
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

GinAndPlatonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4276 on: 12:44:08, 16/11/20 »

That tunnel is fascinating, so I googled it. I found a video taken from a boat going through it. It's surprisingly crowded! I wouldn't volunteer for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpFUHCk-7K8
Thats a great video . !!

I notice it was taken in August , which would account for the amount of boats running through it. Parts of UK canals get very busy with pleasure boating during the holiday months .

When the narrow boats were drawn along by horses in the 1700`s the boats had to be unhitched from them and the crew or professional leggers lay back downwards on planks of wood then legged the boats through by walking along the wall of the tunnels and push the boat through .The horses were walked over land to meet their boat at the opposite portal .  I did read somewhere though that poles were sometimes used to push the boats through...maybe as in Venice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legging_(canals)
« Last Edit: 12:54:12, 16/11/20 by GinAndPlatonic »
Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because it's excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience - Adam Smith

GinAndPlatonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4277 on: 13:00:25, 16/11/20 »

This was taken in warmer times back in August .

Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because it's excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience - Adam Smith

MkPotato

« Reply #4278 on: 20:45:27, 16/11/20 »

This was taken in warmer times back in August .

I think thereís a lot to be said for a bit of tranquility and a slower pace. Canals typify this. Nice shots.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4279 on: 09:23:01, 17/11/20 »
Going through that tunnel was interesting enough by video - not my idea of fun. Awful to imagine those two young lads in the water in pitch darkness.
Lovely peaceful warm summer  O0
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

MkPotato

« Reply #4280 on: 12:35:39, 21/11/20 »
Canít get out into the hills, so took this from the car.

Peak

« Reply #4281 on: 13:13:17, 21/11/20 »
Wow, great pic.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4282 on: 20:09:39, 21/11/20 »
Impressive photo MKPotato
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

GinAndPlatonic

• Veteran Member
My best pic of the day
« Reply #4283 on: 14:36:08, 22/11/20 »

I took another amble along the Birmingham & Worcester canal near Hopwood today. Glorious sunshine .

Dodgylegs

« Reply #4284 on: 18:37:23, 24/11/20 »

Sunsetting behind Shincliffe Village...

Peacocks, above my head, taking to the tree tops to roost for the night!

lightshot