Author Topic: Lyke Wake Walk - East/ West, Ravenscar to Osmotherley  (Read 8940 times)

Highfieldbri

Well, we were late as usual arrived at Ravenscar about 5.10 a.m. had intended to set off for 5, but after the obligatory photo at the LWW marker stone and Iíd finished messing about with my gear, set of at 5.25. As this was a solo crossing without a support team I was carrying plenty of gear, including two and a half litres of water, topped up with Elete electrolyte and 2 bottles of Powerade, plenty of food and spare gear. Planning to top up on drinks at the Lion Inn if required, which would probably be the case. Said our goodbyes, Carolyn headed off home and I headed for Osmotherley. Beautiful morning, if a little chilly still, so had waterproof on initially.

The first real point of interest going this way is Jugger Howe Ravine, a lovely spot with the beck at the bottom. Itís a 200 foot or so steep drop down then the same back up the other side, not too difficult after a couple of miles on the east to west route, but a different proposition in the other direction, after the best part of 40 miles! Before I started the descent I removed my jacket, as I was already starting to warm up.

Next up comes Fylingdales Moor, which anyone who has read my previous reports will know, I really dislike. Today however, I quite enjoyed it, the weather was gorgeous, the going was very dry, if a little hard underfoot and navigation was easy, the white markers being clearly visible. Should mention that I was using Viewranger on my phone for navigation, had the obligatory maps and compass, but didnít really envisage needing them. I also have a Memory Map 2800, but itís no good on this type of walk, the battery tends to go after about 6 hours, and the screen is difficult to read in sunny conditions, also the navigation is pretty easy once you get past the Blue Man. Anyway back to the report met another Lyke Waker going in the opposite direction, heíd set off at 8 p.m. the previous night and looked to be on for a time of around 12 hours or less, which is very good, especially when he told me heíd taken a wrong path somewhere around Wheeldale Moor and this had cost him an hour or more. At this stage I was hoping for a time between 12 and 14 hours. Got to Lilla Cross, which has a bit of history to it, took a few snaps had a bite to eat and just enjoyed the peace and quiet for 5 minutes or so.

Moved on Eller Beck Bridge? which would probably have been the first checkpoint hoping I might catch a glimpse of the train. No such luck, took a few pics as itís qite scenic here and headed off to Simon Howe, were I decided to take another short break and catch a bite, seem to like to stop at these historic places, not really much to see, but nice and peaceful. Realised here that the water in my hydration bladder tasted not too good, first time Iíve ever used it, and thought Iíd rinsed and cleaned it out well enough, but there was a bit of an aftertaste to say the least. Aah well, I could put up with that, just pop a couple of jellybeans after each few mouthfuls. Carried on to Wheeldale, which, in my opinion is one of the most picturesque parts of the walk, quite a drop down to the beck, which was a good foot or so lower than the last time I did the walk in late September. Then the stepping stones were almost under water, this time barely a trickleÖstill a delightful place, especially in the sun.

Climbed out of the gorge crossed the old Roman Road and headed across Wheeldale Moor to my next target Ė the Blue Man in the Moss. It was on this section that my problems started. Conditions were perfect, if a bit hot and humid, navigation not a problem and making excellent time, in fact just about spot on my projected time. The trouble with this area is that the paths between the heather are very narrow and rocky, you just canít take your eyes off the path. After my fourth stumble or so, I felt my inner left thigh start to cramp, which is unusual for me after such a short distance, about ten or twelve miles and not that much ascent. Carried on and by the time I got to the Blue Man, both legs were starting to cramp with alarming regularity and really slowing me up. Got one particularly bad one in my right hip area which really worried me, as this was the one that had been resurfaced a couple of years ago. Rested up, ate a banana, drank some powerade and water, the cramps passed.

After about ten minutes walking it started again and I wondered if I was going to have to call it off, as a muscle cramped, Iíd attempt to stretch it out and another one would go. Iíve honestly never experienced anything like it, because between the spasms my legs felt really strong. Managed to get a signal to call the wife and she said sheíd meet me at the Lion Inn, sheíd also bring some drinks and things. From the Blue Man to Rosedale Head, where Carolyn eventually met me, (sheíd spotted me coming up the road and decided to drive from the Lion to save me walking further than necessary, although funnily enough the cramps eased when I got to the tarmac) took over three hours, more than double the plan. Especially when the going was so easy, the so called boggy section was really dry, with only about a 100 yard section giving any problems.

When Carolyn met me, I expected her to tell me to pack it in, get in the car and go home, she hadnít wanted me to do a solo walk anyway, but to her eternal credit she put no pressure on me at all, other than to say that if I did carry on, she was going to meet me at the final 3 checkpoints. Sheíd brought coffee, Lucozade sport and bottles of water and ham sandwiches which went down well, even though Iíd got plenty of eats in my rucksack. Donít know if the coffee was really a good idea, but what the hell. Discussed what the problem was couldnít really come up with an answer, Iíd done plenty of training, no injury worries or illness, thought I was well hydrated, didnít feel thirsty or anything and had been drinking regularly. Anyway I decided to carry on, see how the next section went, itís a reasonably easy section, along the road to the Lion Inn and then the Old Railway and into the Cleveland Hills.

I love the Cleveland Hills. Made good time, the cramping seemed to have eased up and only got a few twinges. Got to Bloworth Crossing and decided to change my trousers for some reason I canít remember, put on my waterproofs, must have looked like rain or something. Nearly forgot, changed boots at Rosedale, opting for some lighter Trail shoes that Iíd asked Carolyn to bring with her, Haglofs, something or other, that I got a couple of months ago. Not that there was anything wrong with the boots, I just thought a few grams lighter footwear might help. Passed Round Hill on Urra Moor the highest point on the walk and was feeling good once again and enjoying the walk.

When I got to Clay Bank there was no sign of Carolyn in the lay by usually used, so I decided to walk to the main car park and there she was. Told her that I was feeling good and would be able to finish, but she said she was here now and might as well meet me at the next check point, near Lord Stones.

Just realised how much Iíve written, so Iíll cut the rest short. Took the lower past Hasty Bank and the Wain Stones, Managed the steep 300 foot or so climb up Drake Howe? without any problems. After the next check point, the climb up to Carlton Bank wasnít too bad, passed the glider club.

Funnily enough the hardest part was the little climb of a hundred foot or so in Coalmire plantation. Sat down on one of the benches at the top, changed my tee shirt, the old one was sopping wet, so was my hat, actually wrung them both out. This used to be some sort of viewing point, giving great views across to Teesside, but some conifers have sprung up, completely destroying the view. A pity.

Reached the finishing point at 8.30 taking fifteen hours and five minutes in total. A bit disappointing, but I was encouraged by the time from Rosedale Head to the finish of just over seven hours including stops. In the end I was just pleased to complete the walk and donít think I would have, had Carolyn not come out at a moments notice.

Finally, Iím proud to say that we managed to raise just short of £1200 for Kings Mill Special School in Driffield, which was bolstered by the company I work for doubling up the money raised, once again.
Oh, and if anyone is masochistic enough to want to view all the photo's, here's a link
http://s858.photobucket.com/albums/ab145/highfieldbri/LWW%205th%20July%202011/

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
Re: Lyke Wake Walk - East/ West, Ravenscar to Osmotherley
« Reply #1 on: 16:49:55, 08/07/11 »
Hi what a great TR! That s quite a feat doing that distance, and esp with all the cramps - i sometimes get them and they are agony arent they especially when one sets the other off  :(   So you did well to carry on - maybe it was  a hydration issue??  Great pics and thanks for postin. I didnt find there were too many words -  I liked reading them it gave a sense of continuity  O0 O0 O0
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:27:18, 08/07/11 »
Great feat and a great report. Well done!  O0

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:46:07, 08/07/11 »
Terrific effort, report and photos. It's a real achievement completing that walk. Excellent stuff!  O0

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

Highfieldbri

« Reply #4 on: 22:47:04, 08/07/11 »
Thanks for the kind comments guys.
AJ...I have been told that perhaps it wasn't due to dehydration, but caused by an electrolyte imbalance or something, due to overuse of the Elete stuff. Not really into the science bit of it...just like the walking O0

Usually it's an anticlimax after finishing one of these walks, so have to look for another one or something. But off the the Lakes for a day early next week, Carolyn's going to have a crack at the Coledale Round with me. Then a week in Scotland in September.  O0

Bri

dunc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 00:10:09, 09/07/11 »
nice one  O0 some good pics too.  O0
"If this grand panorama before me is what you call God.... then God is not dead"

Alex Quinn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 00:24:35, 09/07/11 »
Excellent, well done.  I really enjoyed that and could have done with more words , not less. Pity that the cramps spoiled it a bit for you, pity because the weather looked fine for you achieving your aim. O0

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 03:01:26, 09/07/11 »
Excellent TR and photos to boot O0 .
Good to see posts from nearer my area. Thankyou for posting O0 .
Used to holiday when I was a kid near Ravenscar, don't recognise any scenery though...must revisit.
R.I.P. Dave.

nvl35

« Reply #8 on: 09:30:39, 09/07/11 »
Well done Bri on getting there after suffering  O0  and on the amazing amount you raised.

A good read and the photos really show how the moors change over the year especially around Wheedale (my favourite bit as well)

There's something about the LWW that keeps drawing you back and I've certainly been bitten by it looking at going again soon and a winter crossing is in order this year.
Don't wait for your ship to come in
Swim out and meet the bloody thing !

Barry Sheene

Highfieldbri

« Reply #9 on: 12:48:18, 15/07/11 »
a winter crossing is in order this year.

I seem to remember you did it the day before us, back end of September, seemed pretty much like a winter crossing then, icy cold north wind, pouring rain, flooded paths... >:(

Thanks for the kind comments everyone  O0

vellanobill

« Reply #10 on: 18:07:26, 15/07/11 »
Well done bri' for completing the LWW, especially after the cramps, and also for raising such a grand sum for your charity. 
The words and photos brought back memories of the LWW crossings (7) (W-E) that I did in the 1960s - some good, one a nightmare!  Am looking forward to covering part of it on my c2c in September this year.  I'm tempted to tackle the LWW again after your photos - I love the North York moors.
-bill
http://vellanobill.blogspot.com/
Vellanobill

vellanobill.blogspot.com

Highfieldbri

« Reply #11 on: 21:40:12, 15/07/11 »
Thanks Bill.  O0

Good luck with the coast to coast, hope you get good weather.  O0

It's a stunning area that you live in.  O0 O0

Bri

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:43:39, 19/08/11 »
I did the LWW about twenty years ago as part of a small group, east to west taking 18 hrs. We did it in September and so this involved walking at night - something I don't really like.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

sgt_pepper46

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:44:09, 23/08/11 »
Excellent TR Bri, well impressed with your dedication to the LWW. There was no need to worry about making the TR too long, it was a great read.

Myself and 6 others (mostly from WF) took the challenge on Saturday. There was people of all abilities, but we all finished, through grit and determination for some. I'm planning on doing a TR when i get chance, as well as repeating the walk as soon as possible. I for one loved it, it's a real challenge, both physically and mentally.

well done  O0
40/214
8/283
13/190
26/253

Ciao Marco

Highfieldbri

« Reply #14 on: 10:14:21, 24/08/11 »
Thanks for the kind comments Sarge  :)

Congratultions to you all on completing the walk, looking forward to your trip report and pics  O0

The main reasons I get drawn back to this particular walk is that it's reasonably near to home, about 60 miles to Osmotherley and only 30 odd to Ravenscar, plus it's great to use for charity fundraising. Oh, and many locals always ask me to join them. Done it 7 times in the last two and a half years, still need to get in a winter crossing though. Must be between December and the end of February, also wouldn't use a support team, no ones very keen to drive those lanes in the winter.  ;D